WTF? When Trash is No Longer 'Trash'

CanceledB

Banned
I saw this story the other morning on the Today Show. In a nutshell:

Woman #1 buys a lottery ticket, scans it and it's a 'loser', so she throws it away.

Woman #2 frequents the store and collects thrown-away lottery tickets, along with Woman #1's, scans it, and it's a million dollar winner.

Woman #2 collects - and spends - some of the winnings.

Now Woman #1 wants her ticket back....

An Arkansas woman who threw away a $1 million winning lottery ticket told the "Today" show Friday that she does not feel bad for Sharon Jones, the woman who found the ticket, claimed the money and will now have to pay back the nearly $190,000 she has spent.

“I don’t feel bad for her,’’ Sharon Duncan, the purchaser of the winning ticket, said in an interview with Ann Curry.

Duncan appeared on "Today" alongside the manager of the convenience store where the ticket was purchased, and their lawyer. Curry pointed out that Jones and her husband are out of work and financially struggling and asked if under any circumstances Duncan would consider not making Jones pay back the money, to which she replied, "No ... Because it's my money. I deserve the money, not her."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/11/sharon-duncan-today-show-sharon-jones_n_1509980.html

I saw an undercover investigation into convenient store employees/owners who were scamming lottery players. They would lie about the winning tickets, and cash them in later. In most cases, the lottery license was revoked, and in one instance, there was jailtime.

In this case, I'm happy the woman got her winnings, as she deserved. I think demanding retribution is petty.

Although, 190k is more than 20% of the winnings after taxes. Closer to 30%.

I saw an undercover investigation into convenient store employees/owners who were scamming lottery players. They would lie about the winning tickets, and cash them in later. In most cases, the lottery license was revoked, and in one instance, there was jailtime.

In this case, I'm happy the woman got her winnings, as she deserved. I think demanding retribution is petty.

Although, 190k is more than 20% of the winnings after taxes. Closer to 30%.

So you think Woman #1 deserves to re-claim the ticket and winnings?

So you think Woman #1 deserves to re-claim the ticket and winnings?
Tough call. I'd like to know more about it. This smells a little fishy. Did she scan it herself? Did the clerk? If the latter, I'm thinking this might be a team that decided to make some money.

If she scanned it herself, and there's no record of the scanner having issues, then she screwed up.

Two different scenarios.

There's another where an elderly woman hit big. Her son 'took care' of cashing in for her, and now is in the process of spending all of her money. She's in court.

I think something should be worked out in your story, between the two parties. I guess giving up 30% of the winnings is better than getting nothing.

I still need to know more. Everything is on tape these days, so it shouldn't be hard to see what really happened

Back