Yahoo announces it's purchase of Tumblr

I'm Watermark

Diabetic
tumblr_mn3j8sh0791srd41xo1_500.gif

http://marissamayr.tumblr.com/post/50902274591/im-delighted-to-announce-that-weve-reached-an

"I’m delighted to announce that we’ve reached an agreement to acquire Tumblr!

We promise not to screw it up. Tumblr is incredibly special and has a great thing going. We will operate Tumblr independently. David Karp will remain CEO. The product roadmap, their team, their wit and irreverence will all remain the same as will their mission to empower creators to make their best work and get it in front of the audience they deserve. Yahoo! will help Tumblr get even better, faster.

Tumblr has built an amazing place to follow the world’s creators. From art to architecture, fashion to food, Tumblr hosts 105 million different blogs. With more than 300 million monthly unique visitors and 120,000 signups every day, Tumblr is one of thefastest-growing media networks in the world. Tumblr sees 900 posts per second (!) and 24 billion minutes spent onsite each month. On mobile, more than half of Tumblr’s users are using the mobile app, and those users do an average of 7 sessions per day. Tumblr’s tremendous popularity and engagement among creators, curators and audiences of all ages brings a significant new community of users to the Yahoo! network. The combination of Tumblr+Yahoo! could grow Yahoo!’s audience by 50% to more than a billion monthly visitors, and could grow traffic by approximately 20%.

In terms of working together, Tumblr can deploy Yahoo!’s personalization technology and search infrastructure to help its users discover creators, bloggers, and content they’ll love. In turn, Tumblr brings 50 billion blog posts (and 75 million more arriving each day) to Yahoo!’s media network and search experiences. The two companies will also work together to create advertising opportunities that are seamless and enhance user experience.

As I’ve said before, companies are all about people. Getting to know the Tumblr team has been really amazing. I’ve long held the view that in all things art and design, you can feel the spirit and demeanor of those who create them. That’s why it was no surprise to me that David Karp is one of the nicest, most empathetic people I’ve ever met. He’s also one of the most perceptive, capable entrepreneurs I’ve worked with. His respect for Tumblr’s community of creators is awesome, and I’m absolutely delighted to have him and his entire team join Yahoo!.

Both Tumblr and Yahoo! share a vision to make the Internet the ultimate creative canvas by focusing on users, design — and building experiences that delight and inspire the world every day."

yahoo has killed almost every company they have taken over. it'll be interesting to see how they handle tumblr.

also I think tumblr only made like 13 mil in revenue and yahoo purchased them for a billion. LOL.

The only reason that makes sense is if they plan on pumping ads like no tomorrow.

I have fond memories of Yahoo from the 90s-2001 before Google completely trampled over all of the competition. It would be cool to see it make a comeback someday...

Marrissa was a star of googles data mining management process!
She will dig that shit better than Damo's advertising me 20 different vaporizers.

Really, I didn't know that.

yeah and that's not hyperbole. It's very well known that yahoo absolutely butchered flickr during their takeover:

http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-internet

They fucked up a bunch of other takeovers too. Yahoo is this dying breed, and instead of innovating they keep trying to buy up massive userbases and hope to integrate them into their own services. Tumblr for all intents in purposes never turned a profit, they kept just slowy building a massive userbase knowing eventually some bigger site would come along and want to swallow up their users. Pretty genius on tumblrs part.

Apparently tumblr wanted the purchase in raw dollars, they rejected any stock options. What does that tell you about their confidence in yahoo?

So you have this site, with 100 million users, mostly all young people, that are sort of fickle with technology and perfectly willing to jump ship, that's a bit scary. You see, my parents use aol, and nothing will make them switch. But young people have no problem hopping platforms at a moments notice. That has to be a concern for yahoo.

What I see yahoo doing is that they will probably eventually do the universal login route where you need a yahoo account to be linked to your tumblr account, probably lots of ads, other stuff, etc.

I am not saying yahoo will fail this time. Maybe they have finally figured their shit out. But they have a bad track record, so we can only wait and see.

Tumblr for all intents in purposes never turned a profit, they kept just slowy building a massive userbase knowing eventually some bigger site would come along and want to swallow up their users. Pretty genius on tumblrs part.

Pretty typical plan for these web startup companies. They invent the service in hopes of getting tons of users and attention so that someone will come around and buy them out, they leave the profitability part to the buyer.

Back