You called me what?

Many Chinese do not really understand English name customs and few if any understand the double entendre. Not surprising as we don't understand Chinese word play either.
I was once served in McDogs by a 'Piano', we have/had a journalist called Lam, a common enough surname, but he or she chose the first name 'Welsh' and the most famous of all was a young lady with the common surname of Kok who decided on the name Ophelia!
Then there was the Lee Kee Shoe Company, The Grand Erection Construction Company and many more. There was a Mr. Tadpole Wong a few years back and hundreds of Winkies, Diesels, Buses.

Poor child!

I went to school with Crystal, Gladys and Anita Hinney! Can you imagine the ribbing they got!

I NEED A HINNEY! is what the guys would say following her down the hall.

And you can just imagine the comments the other two names garnered!

Many Chinese do not really understand English name customs and few if any understand the double entendre. Not surprising as we don't understand Chinese word play either.
I was once served in McDogs by a 'Piano', we have/had a journalist called Lam, a common enough surname, but he or she chose the first name 'Welsh' and the most famous of all was a young lady with the common surname of Kok who decided on the name Ophelia!
Then there was the Lee Kee Shoe Company, The Grand Erection Construction Company and many more. There was a Mr. Tadpole Wong a few years back and hundreds of Winkies, Diesels, Buses.

Thanks, this was funny and I learned something.

Back