Your Tax $ @ Work: Iraqi Cop trained about as well as your average Starbucks Barista

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
It takes almost 7 days of training to become a Starbucks barista. But add just one more day and you can become a gun-toting member of the Iraqi police.

From NPR:
For now, these men get only eight days of training and at the end of it, they get to keep their gun and their uniform.

Which explains why we read the following in the Washington Post last October:

The top U.S. military commander in Iraq, Gen. George W. Casey Jr., predicted last week that Iraqi security forces would be able to take control of the country in 12 to 18 months. But several days spent with American units training the Iraqi police illustrated why those soldiers on the ground believe it may take decades longer than Casey's assessment....

"I wouldn't let half of them feed my dog," 1st Lt. Floyd D. Estes Jr., a former head of the police transition team, said of the Iraqi police. "I just don't trust them."....

[Jon Moore, the deputy team chief] estimated it would take 30 to 40 years before the Iraqi police could function properly, perhaps longer if the militia infiltration and corruption continue to increase. His colleagues nodded.

"It's very, very slow-moving," Estes said.

"No," said Sgt. 1st Class William T. King Jr., another member of the team. "It's moving in reverse."

30 to 40 years. That's a lot of frappuccinos.

americablog

why not stick with gtf out. Dems look like pussy's with this it's not managed right false outrage. Dems couldn't manage a Rhode Island revolt.

Yeah, but he keeps threatening us with his total absense as soon as he edumacates this new guy.

I know. I hope that's not true, because some of us still have to work, and need this board to make the boredom bareable. I would miss usc.

But, I can understand it, if that's what he does.

Aw now not total absence, just not as much participation. I won't be stuck in front of a keyboard all day :)

My replacement does not seem to have time to learn what I do....ohh well not my problem...

At least I go an expense paid trip to Irving. Had a great weekend, but sore and hungover from too much drinking, eating and dancing....

Last edited:
Aw now not total absence, just not as much participation. I won't be stuck in front of a keyboard all day :)

My replacement does not seem to have time to learn what I do....ohh well not my problem...

At least I go an expense paid trip to Irving. Had a great weekend, but sore and hungover from too much drinking, eating and dancing....

Well, that is very different then. I'm very glad to hear it!

Back