2024 Election follies: what's your vote worth?

I believe you’re correct about the binding of electors, hence the term ‘faithless elector’. Since the party actually chooses the electors it would seem unlikely but I was mistaken about the legally binding part. Still, every state (or for Nebraska and Maine congressional district) allocates based on popular vote.

Can you give me an example of a state using a loophole to circumvent the popular vote? I am not aware of a single instance in which that has happened. Your links seem to indicate that it doesn’t happen. I do agree that the electoral college has long overstayed its welcome.
Sorry for the delay. I forgot to do this for you:

State law takes US a step closer to popular vote deciding presidential elections​

Five of the 46 presidents who came into office lost the popular vote, including Donald Trump most recently in 2016. The compact argues that not every vote is equal under the current system.

If that is indeed the case, then please explain how at least twice in my lifetime you've had a President elected to office who did NOT win the popular vote is considered "fair"?

Here's an explanation: To be elected president, the winner must get at least half plus one — or 270 electoral votes.
It is a vestige of slavery. The southern states were slow to join the union. If we were north and south we would have been easy pickings for a foreign power. In order to get the South to join we made concessions. The Electoral College gave smaller states powers their numbers did not merit. 40percent of the population in southern states were slaves. They did not want them to vote but wanted them counted. So we had a 3/5th rule where they were counted at 60 percent of a person.
Back then, there were no political parties and the founders assumed the Electoral votes would be spread about and the final vote would go to the House to pick the president.
At that time in history, no country's leader was picked by popular vote.

Back