401 Ks helping create inequality

I hear you on the being busy part. For those that work really long hours spending what little free time you have on financial planning is about the last thing anyone wants to do and I'm speaking for myself on that as well.

Having just gotten married I've been going through what I'm sure you had to do and that's spend a bunch of time with the partner (trying to) figur(e)ing out our financial future. I'm not a CFA or a stock guru as I would surmise most others aren't as well. But I do know we need to set aside a certain amount each month for future children's education and retirement. That includes doing 401K's. I'm pretty content doing a generic mutual fund that mirrors the S&P in my 401K. Nothing fancy and I don't have to be an expert to choose it and barring a total market collapse not a real high risk choice. If I'm able to do that I know most others can.

Is it so wrong to admit to a certain amount of relief when the stepkids ended up deciding not to go to 4 yr colleges? We would have managed it, but definitely would have been an expense...

Is it so wrong to admit to a certain amount of relief when the stepkids ended up deciding not to go to 4 yr colleges? We would have managed it, but definitely would have been an expense...

No, that's understandable. It's a loooot of money.

No, because you would have done what you needed had they wanted to go :)

Last edited:
like I said you only care about you.

saying you do care and then sticking with an Idea that clearly harms many many people is nothing but sociopathic bullshit

So individual independence is "sociopathic bullshit"? So a person busting their ass and not blowing all their money on stupid material crap so they can save their money to take care of themselves is "sociopathic bullshit"??

The only people who call responsible financial planning "sociopathic bullshit" are the people who blew their own opportunities and want someone else to foot the bill. The ones who see someone who saved and planned ahead and, rather than take responsibility, prefer to whine for Big Brother to come take it away from the one who sacrificed for the future and give it to those who spent everything they made.

I have to agree with Winterborn here. While I am all for SS as a safety net, I was brought up to save for a day when I could/would retire. If I have been prudent to do that I don't see it as sociopathic at all. And why shouldn't I live a little better in retirement than someone who didn't save?

I have to agree with Winterborn here. While I am all for SS as a safety net, I was brought up to save for a day when I could/would retire. If I have been prudent to do that I don't see it as sociopathic at all. And why shouldn't I live a little better in retirement than someone who didn't save?

I'm with you. I respect TK but I'm not sure why she is groaning Winterborn's post. For instance I make choices now to spend money I know I shouldn't. I know I should be saving more and I don't because I want to do certain things and live a certain lifestyle right now. I can't be mad at someone who is choosing to save while I'm not and will be sitting in a better financial position than me down the road.

I'm with you. I respect TK but I'm not sure why she is groaning Winterborn's post. For instance I make choices now to spend money I know I shouldn't. I know I should be saving more and I don't because I want to do certain things and live a certain lifestyle right now. I can't be mad at someone who is choosing to save while I'm not and will be sitting in a better financial position than me down the road.

But that doesn't matter. It is the evil 99%s fault.

Nope, I care about others. I also believe that big boys and girls can choose to save their money too. Those that truly can't afford to pay $60/mon for cable, $60 for internets, and $100 on luxury products are the ones I want to help. They are the ones who need a second chance via welfare.

You sir, are right on the money.

The problem here is obviously people like myself, who forego the luxury of a new car every few years to save money. Not those who opt for luxuries like monthly car payments throughout their lives and end up at the retirement finish line with nothing saved.

You sir, are right on the money.

The problem here is obviously people like myself, who forego the luxury of a new car every few years to save money. Not those who opt for luxuries like monthly car payments throughout their lives and end up at the retirement finish line with nothing saved.

So you want people who bought new cars every three years keeping our economy going to starve in the streets?

The goal of the left is to have everyone arrive at retirement age with nothing, and then have them reliant upon the government for survival.

This, in turn, will secure a reliable voting bloc.

pretending no one is actually poor in the us is insane you fucking idiot

But what do you personally know about poverty? I know a thing or two. I grew up poor. I know what it is like going to school with holes in y sneakers and patches on my jeans because w couldn't afford new stuff. But we were happy. We had family. Tell me what you know about poverty personally.

Te thing about poverty is people don't have to stay there forever

pretending no one is actually poor in the us is insane you fucking idiot

I've only been here a short while but I'm noticing a pattern in your posting style. People present facts and you can not answer with anything other than ad hominem attacks.

You're not a very compelling forum member to interact with.

Does this forum have an ignore feature?

I've only been here a short while but I'm noticing a pattern in your posting style. People present facts and you can not answer with anything other than ad hominem attacks.

Welcome to the board and it looks like you nailed Desh. She is like the crazy aunt you invite to Thanksgiving that just spouts off nonsense and you just smile and she thinks it means you agree with her.

I love toying with her

where did you give facts?

where did you give facts?

In this particular instance it was more a matter of my opinion.

Do you disagree with it?

Do you believe poor people can wear Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, own iPhones, have cable TV, high-speed internet access, never have to worry about going hungry, and oftentimes even own cars?

People in that category I described above... do you consider them to be "poor people"?

Back