A reminder about breaking news

While that is mostly true, I think the bold texted phrases ^^^ are used with the assumption that the average reader understands that the reporting is all preliminary and subject to change as more facts come out.

IOW, I really don't think the mainstream media is involved in some secret cabal to put false information out just to fool or manipulate people.

Certainly take everything with a grain of salt, which is what most people of average intelligence do, but OTOH, it is not productive to look for reasons to demonize the mainstream media either.

And though this will come across as a partisan statement, it's the dedicated right-wing media like Fox and the other smaller ones, who you should not believe because they are the intentional liars.

I don't know about MSNBC because it's been a good couple of decades since I've watched them.

I used to think they were pretty good.
I don't view the topic from a political perspective. In a world were information can be sent globally in the snap of a finger even the best of intentioned people aren't always going to get things accurate in a fast changing fluid situation. There's no way around that.

And we as consumers want info immediately. So in the desire to deliver that there's going to be a lot of either wrong, or partially wrong, info spread in the meantime.

I don't view the topic from a political perspective. In a world were information can be sent globally in the snap of a finger even the best of intentioned people aren't always going to get things accurate in a fast changing fluid situation. There's no way around that.

And we as consumers want info immediately. So in the desire to deliver that there's going to be a lot of either wrong, or partially wrong, info spread in the meantime.
True, but sources like Fox, Breitbart and the other solidly right-wing partisans are known for abject lying.

It cost Fox hundreds of millions of dollars after they were exposed and apparently they're still doing it.

True, but sources like Fox, Breitbart and the other solidly right-wing partisans are known for abject lying.

It cost Fox hundreds of millions of dollars after they were exposed and apparently they're still doing it.
That's a separate discussion from the dissemination of breaking news.

Like Obama and Comey's Pee Pee tape.
Hunter's laptop is Russian
Biden is sharp as a tack behind closed doors
The great Sloped Roof hoax

And the Left's Race Hoaxes

Chauvin not guilty of racism/hate crime.
The Rittenhouse child
The Covington child
Jussie Smollet
Pres. Trump
Hands up don't shoot
Freddie Gray
Zimmerman
Nascar Noose HOAX
Cambridge police (racist Obama's beer summit fiasco)
9 year old KC Chiefs' Fan

All fake racism stories.

Maybe this isn’t an apt analogy but to me the Fog of War comes to mind.

I cringe writing this but say there’s a school shooting and we get differing reports that say there’s one shooter, another says two shooters and another may say three shooters. Then we get differing reports on the initial number of causalities, whether the shooter(s) is (are) still alive or dead etc.

The media (and people who post on social media) could say “we’re not giving out any more info until we have official confirmation”. But that would never ever fly in our world today.

Like Obama and Comey's Pee Pee tape.
Hunter's laptop is Russian
Biden is sharp as a tack behind closed doors
The great Sloped Roof hoax

And the Left's Race Hoaxes

Chauvin not guilty of racism/hate crime.
The Rittenhouse child
The Covington child
Jussie Smollet
Pres. Trump
Hands up don't shoot
Freddie Gray
Zimmerman
Nascar Noose HOAX
Cambridge police (racist Obama's beer summit fiasco)
9 year old KC Chiefs' Fan.
None of what you call lies are provably false.

Just because a lying Trumper cultist calls something a lie doesn't make it one.

Just the opposite aamof.
All fake racism stories.
Every post you make is a fake racism story.

In the immediate aftermath, news outlets will get it wrong.

Don't trust "anonymous sources"

Be careful of stories that cite another media outlet as the source

There's almost never a second shooter

"we are getting reports", "we have learned" "we are seeking" Are all meaningless placeholders

Big news brings out the fakers, the photo shoppers, and the retweeters.

Compare multiple sources.

Look for sources close to the action.

Stay clear of sources known for hyperbole, like fox, msnbc, breitbart, and palmer report.

Keep your heads folks.
Years ago when I was here people would just accept what a right wing person here said merely at face value

I started a a standard reply to any posted claim they made

“LINK?”

Now everyone here routinely ask for a source to claims

Maybe this isn’t an apt analogy but to me the Fog of War comes to mind.

I cringe writing this but say there’s a school shooting and we get differing reports that say there’s one shooter, another says two shooters and another may say three shooters. Then we get differing reports on the initial number of causalities, whether the shooter(s) is (are) still alive or dead etc.

The media (and people who post on social media) could say “we’re not giving out any more info until we have official confirmation”. But that would never ever fly in our world today.
That's all got to do with competition.

Every media outlet wants to scoop every other one.

They want to be the first to report each and every detail, so they very carefully speculate some of them, knowing they can go back and correct themselves if they get something wrong early in a breaking story.

That's been going on since the dawn of the newspaper.

It was even an underlying theme of several 1940's & 50's film noir movies in which cutthroat competition between newspapers and even between reporters at the same newspaper influenced what and how stories were reported.

Back then the goal was mainly glory and bragging rights.

Today it's also about advertising revenue.

In the immediate aftermath, news outlets will get it wrong.

Don't trust "anonymous sources"

Be careful of stories that cite another media outlet as the source

There's almost never a second shooter

"we are getting reports", "we have learned" "we are seeking" Are all meaningless placeholders

Big news brings out the fakers, the photo shoppers, and the retweeters.

Compare multiple sources.

Look for sources close to the action.

Stay clear of sources known for hyperbole, like fox, msnbc, breitbart, and palmer report.

Keep your heads folks.
stfu, dipshit.
:magagrin:

Years ago when I was here people would just accept what a right wing person here said merely at face value

I started a a standard reply to any posted claim they made

“LINK?”

Now everyone here routinely ask for a source to claims
yes..

you invented links on the internet.

Ok, Al Gore......

:okjen:

That's all got to do with competition.

Every media outlet wants to scoop every other one.

They want to be the first to report each and every detail, so they very carefully speculate some of them, knowing they can go back and correct themselves if they get something wrong early in a breaking story.

That's been going on since the dawn of the newspaper.

It was even an underlying theme of several 1940's & 50's film noir movies in which cutthroat competition between newspapers and even between reporters at the same newspaper influenced what and how stories were reported.

Back then the goal was mainly glory and bragging rights.

Today it's also about advertising revenue.
And the notions of right wing CEOS

They never back up their claims with reasonable sources, only with articles that do not say what they claim, or with bizarre articles on websites we have never heard of in broken, sort of Russian English.
Wait a minute, you saying Breitfart, infowars, Blaze, Washington Examiner, Daily Wire, Daily Caller, Daily Signal, Pat Dollard, WTF, Epoch Times, Newsmax, Fox, Washington Times, RT, Gateway, Red State, TownHall, NYP, Western Journal, the Federalist, and Insurrection something or other are not reasonable sources?

Look at it this way, their saving you time, other wise you’d have to hang around a bowling alley bar to hear what conspiracy and melodrama was floating out there in Trumpkinville

None of what you call lies are provably false.

Just because a lying Trumper cultist calls something a lie doesn't make it one.

Just the opposite aamof.

Every post you make is a fake racism story.
Where is the Pee Pee tape?
A soft, untrained 20 year old had zero problem with the barely sloped roof. But hardened men can't handle it? You are a JokeMad.

What was the Covington child's hate crime? ... smiling?

Where is the Pee Pee tape?
Locked up in Putin's safe waiting to be used to blackmail Trump into doing his bidding if God forbid the POS ever gets elected again, maybe?
A soft, untrained 20 year old had zero problem with the barely sloped roof.
How do you know he had no problem?

Do you have video of him hopping, skipping and jumping around up there?

No?

Then you're talking shit.
But hardened men can't handle it?
Who said they couldn't handle it?

Cheatle said it was a safety precaution to avoid the POSSIBILITY of a fall.
You are a JokeMad.
You is a chump, sucka.
What was the Covington child's hate crime? ... smiling?
Intimidating in a threatening manner.

Crooks father was a GUNTARD. He had over 12 firearms in his possession when his home was searched for evidence.

Let me just say, I know a lot of Fathers that are also Democrats, and I have yet to even known any Democrat that even owns an AR-15, or more guns than just one pistol maybe, a shotgun perhaps, and possibly a Deer Rifle- if they hunt deer!

Democrats are not Guntards, and they do not go to indoor Firing Ranges that use targets that depict human targets unless they are Policeman.

Democrats either purchase guns or have inherited them, but their intent to own them has to do with hunting animals- NOT HUMANS!

And, I have yet to know any Democrat that ever applied for a license to carry permit.
Wow. A little green insurance lizard with strong convictions!
I’m going to show my ignorance (again), what is the Palmer Report? I don’t recall anyone posting links from it. Am I way out of touch in not knowing it?

I think evince is on the editorial staff.

Locked up in Putin's safe waiting to be used to blackmail Trump into doing his bidding if God forbid the POS ever gets elected again, maybe?

How do you know he had no problem?

Do you have video of him hopping, skipping and jumping around up there?

No?

Then you're talking shit.

Who said they couldn't handle it?

Cheatle said it was a safety precaution to avoid the POSSIBILITY of a fall.

You is a chump, sucka.

Intimidating in a threatening manner.
Pres. Trump prevented Putin from opening a new front on Obama's war.

I have seen a pic of the roof and a vid with him easily crawling on it. You must be in horrific shape if you think that roof is too step for you. :rofl2:

Too dangerous for men willing to take a bullet. You and Cheatle are a real pair of limp dick pussies.

You are easily intimidated. :palm: Must be terrible for you living in constant fear of smiling children.

Pres. Trump prevented Putin from opening a new front on Obama's war.
Lying shit sack.

Trump wants to leave NATO and hold the door to Europe open for his boss.
I have seen a pic of the roof and a vid with him easily crawling on it. You must be in horrific shape if you think that roof is too step for you. :rofl2:

Too dangerous for men willing to take a bullet. You and Cheatle are a real pair of limp dick pussies.
Yeah, CRAWLING, idiot.

He had to crawl because walking on the slick, metal slope was too dangerous.

Secret Service agents can't do their jobs CRAWLING.

You must think that just because you crawl for Trump, everyone else should, too.
You are easily intimidated. :palm: Must be terrible for you living in constant fear of smiling children.
We're not talking about me.

We're talking about an old native American man who those right-wing punks were intimidating.

Kinda like your gang thug homies do to old crackas on the street corner where they sell their drugs.

Back