Abortion

cawacko

We get these polls that say the most important issue this election cycle to American voters is "the economy" or "foreign policy" or "energy". Yet it seems the issue which has the most single issue voters but doesn't get talked about as much (though it does get discussed) is still abortion.

This is definitely a big "abortion" election. If McCain does get elected, Roe v. Wade is probably going down, though a 55+ seat advantage in the Senate will certainly give Democrats some say on that.

I'm sure it will receive a lot of attention in the debates & months to come. There are loads of important issues this time around, though; do we want to keep riding on the hope of trickle down economics? Do we think that "taking the fight to terrorism" with our military is an effective strategy? Is nationalized testing working, or do we need to fundamentally change NCLB?

There are some pretty start contrasts in this one, and abortion is just one of 'em...

Which is why all the Nadarites and Hillarites and McKinnites need to bite the fucking bullet and vote for Obama. If not they can live with the results of their votes. I don't get pregnant so it does not affect me directly. But I know what Romania was like when Abortion was against the law and I don't want to live in that kind of country.

Which is why all the Nadarites and Hillarites and McKinnites need to bite the fucking bullet and vote for Obama. If not they can live with the results of their votes. I don't get pregnant so it does not affect me directly. But I know what Romania was like when Abortion was against the law and I don't want to live in that kind of country.

I'm voting for Nader.

Yes, indeed. Abortion was illegal in the US in the 50s, and it was a HORRIBLE place to live!

It amazes me the lengths to which some will go to justify killing unborn children.

Yes, indeed. Abortion was illegal in the US in the 50s, and it was a HORRIBLE place to live!

It amazes me the lengths to which some will go to justify killing unborn children.

I can't imagine living in a country where the government told women as soon as they were pregnant that they HAD to carry that baby to term, regardless.

It is chilling.

I can't imagine living in a country where the government told women as soon as they were pregnant that they HAD to carry that baby to term, regardless.

It is chilling.

Once this happens, the Republican party is going to be fucking ended. America wont stand for it. If the South wants to rise again, lets turn'm into a glass parking lot after we evacuate the liberals.

It is chilling.

What amazes me is that one side seems to want abortion for anyone for any reason at any time during the pregnancy. And the other side want absolutely no abortions for anyone, for any reason at any time.

Very little middle ground on this issue. Except most people I have talked to would like some middle ground on this. Don't ban it but don't use it as birth control.

I certainly do not want to see Roe V Wade overturned.

Once this happens, the Republican party is going to be fucking ended. America wont stand for it. If the South wants to rise again, lets turn'm into a glass parking lot after we evacuate the liberals.

We've already risen again. We have some of the fastest growing metro areas due to the large numbers moving in. On the list of "best places to live" there are always a few southern cities. Its a good place to live, once you learn that the stereotypes repeated by fools are nonsense.

We've already risen again. We have some of the fastest growing metro areas due to the large numbers moving in. On the list of "best places to live" there are always a few southern cities. Its a good place to live, once you learn that the stereotypes repeated by fools are nonsense.

It's no accident someone like Dixie came from Alabama.

It's no accident someone like Dixie came from Alabama.

No accident that the only school to have seven students named to the 2008 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team was the University of Alabama. Thats more than any other school.

Roe v Wade should be overturned because the entire premise it is based upon is flawed. It says that the determination of the life of a living human is, somehow, a matter of privacy between a doctor and patient. How a matter of homicide can be equated to privacy is beyond me.

Of course, the justification lays on ignorance of science, and the deliberately dehumanizing a class of humans in order to deprive them of human rights. Just claim they are not "truly" human and all is OK.

What amazes me is that one side seems to want abortion for anyone for any reason at any time during the pregnancy. And the other side want absolutely no abortions for anyone, for any reason at any time.

Very little middle ground on this issue. Except most people I have talked to would like some middle ground on this. Don't ban it but don't use it as birth control.

I'm middlin', and Obama has stated many times that the goal should be to reduce the NEED for abortion & frequency of abortions as much as possible.

I really can't stand the "other side" on this. They push for a ton of crap that works counter to that goal, like "abstinence only" education, limiting the availability of birth control, trying to curtail sex education as a whole, railing against the distribution of condoms, etc.

Teenagers & young people have sex; they have throughout history. There's no stopping it, and it's stupid to try.

What are your list of acceptable reasons for having an abortion, Sol? What reasons are important, and who will you force to carry the baby to term?

Roe v Wade should be overturned because the entire premise it is based upon is flawed. It says that the determination of the life of a living human is, somehow, a matter of privacy between a doctor and patient. How a matter of homicide can be equated to privacy is beyond me.

Of course, the justification lays on ignorance of science, and the deliberately dehumanizing a class of humans in order to deprive them of human rights. Just claim they are not "truly" human and all is OK.

They aren't truly human. It is at best a terrible case of being pedantic to say that a zygote is a human being. It is grounded in reason, not emotion. Roe v. Wade will be here as long as the republic still survives.

What are your list of acceptable reasons for having an abortion, Sol? What reasons are important, and who will you force to carry the baby to term?

WM, I think ignoring birth control and having an abortion is ridiculous.

I think the victims of rape and incest should not be forced to carry the baby to full term.

I think if the mother's life is in serious jeopardy they should not be forced to carry to term.

Back