Alleged Victim of Incest Excommunicated by Catholic Church

That is a good question. Perhaps they make a distinction between 'active' Catholics and 'nominal' Catholics. Most Catholics in Brazil are practicing - they attend mass every Sunday, etc. They take their religion seriously. Most Catholics in the United States do not, and accordingly the RCC can't really keep tabs on them. Just a thought. Either way, they are within their rights as a private religious organization. But it's still fucked up.

On a side note, some of the naughtiest girls I've met are Catholics. ;)

Of course they're within their rights. It's still a bizarre decision that is unjustifiable. No wonder they're hemorrhaging members.

I'm pretty sure the Pope is anti-death penalty. Which is ironic considering his church killed millions of innocent people throughout the centuries...

The Catholic church has been anti-death penalty for a while, which is another reason it's hemmorrhanging members.

I believe it was the decision of one local bishop. Hopefully the Vatican sees reason and overturns his decision, although I've read new reports of one of the archbishops at the Vatican defending the decision.

This reminds me of a case in a Presbyterian church in Toronto a few years back, when a 14-year-old girl was excommunicated for "adultery" for having sex with a 22-year-old married man. At the time, the age of consent in Canada was 14. As such the church considered her an "adult" and kicked her out of the church. Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

This reminds me of a case in a Presbyterian church in Toronto a few years back, when a 14-year-old girl was excommunicated for "adultery" for having sex with a 22-year-old married man. At the time, the age of consent in Canada was 14. As such the church considered her an "adult" and kicked her out of the church. Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Excommunication is, in my opinion, a barbaric practice. I'm surprised modern religions still practice it.

Last edited:
Most churches define both participants as adulterers even if only one is married. While you may have a problem with seeing such a young member punished, that is a far cry from what the Catholic Bishop in Brazil did.

I'm pretty certain that Rome will intervene for the girl if it hasn't already.

Most churches define both participants as adulterers even if only one is married. While you may have a problem with seeing such a young member punished, that is a far cry from what the Catholic Bishop in Brazil did.

I'm pretty certain that Rome will intervene for the girl if it hasn't already.

Hopefully.

http://www.latina.com/lifestyle/new...tes-mother-and-doctors-9-year-old-rape-victim

The stepfather who sexually abused the little girl for over 4 years has not been excommunicated. The church has stated that the sexual acts he forced upon the little girl and her mentally disabled older sister are not as bad as ending the life of an unborn child. "It is clear that he committed a very serious sin, but worse than this is the abortion," Sobrinho declared.

http://www.latina.com/lifestyle/new...tes-mother-and-doctors-9-year-old-rape-victim

The stepfather who sexually abused the little girl for over 4 years has not been excommunicated. The church has stated that the sexual acts he forced upon the little girl and her mentally disabled older sister are not as bad as ending the life of an unborn child. "It is clear that he committed a very serious sin, but worse than this is the abortion," Sobrinho declared.

This is disgusting.

This is disgusting.
Maybe if someone were to gangrape Senior Sahbrino and leave a bowling ball shoved up his posterior fundament, he'd have a different point of view. This is just plain disgusting. How could a hypocrite like this look himself in the mirror and call himself a man of God? I'd have no problem spitting on this charlatan.

It always amaes me that a church of a religion that preaches forgiveness can have the audacity to excommunicate anyone.

"God loves you but we don't like you anymore".

It always amaes me that a church of a religion that preaches forgiveness can have the audacity to excommunicate anyone.

"God loves you but we don't like you anymore".

Excommunication is meant to help a struggling Catholic back into the fold. By withholding communion, you are basically telling someone to get their damn priorities straight, since there isn't much more important to a faithful Catholic than the sacrament of communion.

Obviously, it is open to abuse in this case. The action of Interdict, as Watermark was trolling about in his tirade on the death penalty is probably less easy to justify, since it mostly only ever antagonizes without any solution in sight.

In recent years, schismatic cardinals and bishops (over contempt for Vatican II) have officially repented and had their excommunications lifted, as an example of the tool being used appropriately. And I say this having been raised by parents who are not fond of Vatican II and went to a Tridentine Mass for many years...

What the heck is Vatican II? Sounds like a bad flick. The sequels are never as good as the originals.

What the heck is Vatican II? Sounds like a bad flick. The sequels are never as good as the originals.

The Second Vatican Council. It's when the Catholic Church changed several of their doctrines/practices in the early 60s, including things that were taught as infallible truth for centuries. Funny how that works. :)

The Second Vatican Council. It's when the Catholic Church changed several of their doctrines/practices in the early 60s, including things that were taught as infallible truth for centuries. Funny how that works. :)

I grew up as a Methodist in a small Catholic farming town. I was about lynched for saying the Pope was just another man in a dress to me.

Well, at least out of this more people in Brazil will probably recongnize a woman's right to choose, and more people will drop the Catholic church and turn into rational humanists.

Well, at least out of this more people in Brazil will probably recongnize a woman's right to choose, and more people will drop the Catholic church and turn into rational humanists.

Right, and decide that life is worth nothing, and then feel fine starving other people out of existence. Go progress.

Back