Americans are used to belonging to a Church they do not belive in.

I was kidding. It'd be a lot cooler if it was a snake-handling church though.

For Damo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling
I understand what Wiki says.

I did spend most of my childhood at a pentecostal church and never saw snake handling.

However my Grandmother went to a Nazarene church who did it regularly. They actually had ambulances waiting during services. I believe that Wiki exaggerates this in the Pentecostal movement and ignores it in the Nazarene church where it happens. In this case I think they got it wrong.

I understand what Wiki says.

I did spend most of my childhood at a pentecostal church and never saw snake handling.

However my Grandmother went to a Nazarene church who did it regularly. They actually had ambulances waiting during services. I believe that Wiki exaggerates this in the Pentecostal movement and ignores it in the Nazarene church where it happens. In this case I think they got it wrong.

Fair enough. I've never heard of the Nazarenes and associate snake handling with the Pentecostals. I didn't mean to slight the Pentecostals. I'm aware that it is a rare practice that occurs seldom, if at all, in the back woods of Appalachia.

Fair enough. I've never heard of the Nazarenes and associate snake handling with the Pentecostals. I didn't mean to slight the Pentecostals. I'm aware that it is a rare practice that occurs seldom, if at all, in the back woods of Appalachia.
I couldn't say. It happened in Denver at the Nazarene church my Grandmother went to, it is the only known instance in my lifetime where I was so personally close to somebody who participated in something like that. Nutjobs.

Grandmother did leave that church. She was a lost Catholic, grew up on a convent when her parents died...

Back