America's police are looking more and more like the military?!!

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/07/militarization-local-police-america

swat.jpg

ridiculous, what the heck IS that thing?? I missed the part about the US being a combat theater

Tanks, grenade launchers, armored vehicles, and assault rifles are just a few of the items that have been transferred from military control to municipal police forces. Law enforcement agencies need only to arrange and pay for shipment in order to receive the items of their choice (pdf). One particularly egregious example is found in South Carolina, where Richland County's sheriff acquired a tank with 360-degree rotating machine gun turrets. Sardonically, the vehicle has been named "the Peacemaker
The NDAA , should have known.

And if domestic or foreign terrorists take over a mall here and your family is in there?
with all due respect; read the article-
the sheer amout of military weapons unaccounted for, or just piled up, is in itself problematic.
Some are just re-sold without background checks..see the problem?

LOOK at the OP pic - it's some kind of MINE SWEEPER - do we need that for terrorists??

the sheer amout of military weapons unaccounted for, or just piled up, is in itself problematic.

LOOK at the OP pic - it's some kind of MINE SWEEPER - do we need that for terrorists??

When everyone is a 'potential terrorist' I guess so.

Yes but that's not the point you chose to comment on. Or at least my interpretation which was related to the thread title.

Isn't that the purpose of the national guard?

Not that I know of. I thought they were mostly support and mop up...not pro-active and specially trained for active engagements. They do have a few specialized units...but where are they located? Close enough to respond to local conflicts? (the specialized units)

Back