Anybody read ‘Romney: A Reckoning’ ?

I’d disagree there, but have to chuckle how you simply asked if anyone had read Romney’s book, most likely looking for impressions, and instead got attacked from all sides
I fully expected that. It's a badge of honor with this group.
It's a microcosm of the country in general.
I consider myself far more intelligent, educated, travelled, experienced in business, etc. than the average putz in this country and in JPP. Far more.

Without scanning this thread i will sum up Trump derps posts.

Fuck Mitt, he is not loyal to Trump so nothing he says, true or not, matters.

(they will, of course try to pretend there is more to their view than that, when there is not)

Without scanning this thread i will sum up Trump derps posts.

Fuck Mitt, he is not loyal to Trump so nothing he says, true or not, matters.

(they will, of course try to pretend there is more to their view than that, when there is not)

Indeed.

"There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives," Mitt Romney during a fundraiser in 2012

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser/

So even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Overall, the policies supported by Mitt and indistinguishable from those promoted by Biden or Obama.

He was 100% correct about Putin when nobody would listen.

Every Republican in 2012 was warning of Putin. Romney was just aping the real Republicans to try and win votes. Mitt is a fraud and blowhard. A pampered trust fund brat with a silver spoon up his ass.

It's funny, I refused to vote for the scumbag McCain, but I did vote for Romney because I believed (correctly) that Obama had to be stopped. Still, I don't think the damage to the nation would have been lessened at all had Mitt been elected. Ultimately he is a clone of Obama.

Even if that were true he knows how to be fiscally responsible. They don't. That's yuge.

He is part of the Repubs who want to keep cutting taxes on the wealthy and corporations. It is easy to see how that cranks up the debt and how it is not fiscally responsible. Trump slashed their taxes and added 10 trillion to the debt. The Repubs are not fiscally responsible they keep repeating it until "some" people believe it. Remember, money = power. The reason we feel unable to impact the government and policy is that we do not have money or power. The wealthy are in charge. At least unions are fighting to rectify that mess.

A little too much IMO. The first third of the book was a bit of a slog.
The latter 2/3 went into all the frustrations he had to deal w/ as a *principled* politician. There were a lot, including the safety of his family. He spent $5,000 a day for their security. Many of his republican colleagues obviously couldn't afford that and had to compromise their principles because of that. That's just one example.
It's not that long of a book though.

There's not much room for those types anymore.
It's given me far more respect for how Lisa Murkowski has managed to survive.

It's possible in Congress I guess because certain (purplish) areas (and states) don't want the bomb throwing ideologues. But that we've reached the point where someone would be endangered for that is frightening. (I guess my one question would be was that potential danger always there but harder to act on pre-internet social media? Although we have had multiple Presidents shot in our history.)

"There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives," Mitt Romney during a fundraiser in 2012

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser/

So you're saying the truth hurts? :dunno:

The book denies/negates/rejects what went down at that fund raiser? A simple question you can answer without giving away anything scintillating details. Because if it doesn't, I won't bother with more BS from a jive politician like Mittens.

No. Why would it? Completely truthful.

I just finished it.

I read The Economist article on Romney and the book about him. He spends $5k a day for protection, and is under constant threat from terrorists, because he has politically opposed trump. Other Republicans say they cannot stand against trump for fear of their lives.

Think about it, Romney actually ran against Obama, with no terrorist threats against him. He speaks out against trump, and his family is threatened with death. It is scary how bad right wing terrorism has gotten.

In the second impeachment trial, after the attack of January 6th, Republicans added a chilling new rationale for not voting to convict: too many Trump supporters had guns. Mr Romney was sympathetic to this fear, since by then he was paying $5,000 a day for security to protect his own family.
https://www.economist.com/united-st...e-fixed-point-revealing-the-republicans-slide

Remember his lies about Obama?

I just remember Romney saying that we should not elect Obama, because he has an Ivy League graduate degree... When Romney has two Ivy League graduate degrees. And also that kids should sell part of their stock portfolios to pay for college, rather than borrowing.

Romney was out of touch with reality, even his own reality.

After running against Obama, he got into an argument with Skylar Gordy over having his chair down on a plane. Romney needed no security at that point, and felt no threat from having an argument about a plane seat being down. Then Romney spoke out against trump, and suddenly needed $5k a day in security.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
The book denies/negates/rejects what went down at that fund raiser? A simple question you can answer without giving away anything scintillating details. Because if it doesn't, I won't bother with more BS from a jive politician like Mittens.

No. Why would it? Completely truthful.

Okay, then I'll give it a shot to be fair.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...te-fundraiser/

So you're saying the truth hurts? :dunno:

No Moosie, He's mouthing the same caste/class/racist BS that folk like you just lap up .... because you just can't handle the FACT that it's elitist, trust funded little shits like Romney who wipe their feet on you as they bribe congress to try and take away what little economic benefits and dignity that you have. They want to strip away anything the New Deal brought America and truly just turn it into a corporate style autocracy. As that little shit Grover Norquist once proudly said, "“I don’t want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.” And YOU are too proud and stupid to deal with that....you carry water for his ilk, and they pats you on the head and throws you a couple of dollars.

Pathetic.

Back