Are Military Retirees "burdens" on our country?

maineman

Banned
Are the men and women who spend an entire career serving in our Armed Forces a "burden" on our country because of the retirement they have earned? That opinion has been voiced here. I'd love to see some discussion about it.

Are the men and women who spend an entire career serving in our Armed Forces a "burden" on our country because of the retirement they have earned? That opinion has been voiced here. I'd love to see some discussion about it.

Absolutely. I mean - come on- imagine their nerve! Just imagine - while they're in the military, they get access to the commissary; they get base housing; they get medical care. And now they want retirement too? Oh sure, their pay sucks, they defend our country and suffer terrible injuries for us (ok, some of them die but at least the dead ones don't collect retirement), they have to move themselves and their families every couple years so their spouse (if they have one that puts up with them) can't really develop a career, along with physical injuries many of them suffer from PTSD, and they see things in the field of battle that none of us want to see even in pictures. Sure, their deployments get extended beyond the time they were told and some of them have had 3 or 4 tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan; and our test pilots crash trying to figure out the newest technology -

But hey! commissaries! they get those! They get uniforms! and we don't, and now they want retirement too?

Suck it up! live in the streets like the rest of us! Become a greeter at WalMart! So what if you defended my ass that was sitting on my couch at home posting on various bulletin boards? YOU got to hear the military bands! Doesn't that way overcompensate you?

Ahem... at this point it might be appropriate to interject that the above was sarcasm.....

We sign a contract with our people in the military. If they will go out and do whatever we tell them to do... if they will peacekeep in whatever sad country we send them to, if they will go to Iraq time and time again, if they will see their high school and college classmates making way more money than they do - sometimes those classmates are doing the SAME JOB like when we have private contractors supplementing our forces - we have told them if they will accept long hours, moving a lot, the change of being killed by an enemy and the even worse thing (in my opinion) of having to shoot someone you don't know just because we tell them to... we have told them they get a pension and our lifelong thanks.

Burden? not at all. We don't do enough for our retirees - the people who survive what we ask them to do.

Um, no. But look at who is making that argument. A chicken shit too scared to fight topspin. Honestly, I might be able to take Topspin.

So just think about it.

Um, no. But look at who is making that argument. A chicken shit too scared to fight topspin. Honestly, I might be able to take Topspin.

So just think about it.

I was curious as to whether that opinion was as far out in right field as it initially seemed to me, or whether there were others who felt that way.

Hell...no. Military Retirees are not burdens, neither are double dipper's(people who retire from the military, then work for government...drawing two pensions).

This WHOLE issue is because Conservative Republicans vomit the anti-union bullshit and are probably too young to remember the day when the private sector had pensions as part of the benefit.package....not 401k's...but actual "pay till you die" pensions.

But like all things conservative....they need to suck the dicks of the Conglomerate and leave the workforce hanging in the wind.

Absolutely not. They are doing what others care not to do, or cannot do. We owe them a debt that can hardly be paid.

the answer to that would be a resounding no. If anything they are under cared for relative to what they gave to this country. Especially those that served in/near a war zone.

A burden, maybe in the strictest sense of the word, but obviously and clearly a worthwhile burden.

I don't care if they double dip. If someone serves with honor for 20 years, they deserve a pension and benefits the remainder of their lives, regardless of what they earn after retirement, the nation owes them that debt.

Absolutely. I mean - come on- imagine their nerve! Just imagine - while they're in the military, they get access to the commissary; they get base housing; they get medical care. And now they want retirement too? Oh sure, their pay sucks, they defend our country and suffer terrible injuries for us (ok, some of them die but at least the dead ones don't collect retirement), they have to move themselves and their families every couple years so their spouse (if they have one that puts up with them) can't really develop a career, along with physical injuries many of them suffer from PTSD, and they see things in the field of battle that none of us want to see even in pictures. Sure, their deployments get extended beyond the time they were told and some of them have had 3 or 4 tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan; and our test pilots crash trying to figure out the newest technology -

But hey! commissaries! they get those! They get uniforms! and we don't, and now they want retirement too?

Suck it up! live in the streets like the rest of us! Become a greeter at WalMart! So what if you defended my ass that was sitting on my couch at home posting on various bulletin boards? YOU got to hear the military bands! Doesn't that way overcompensate you?

Ahem... at this point it might be appropriate to interject that the above was sarcasm.....

We sign a contract with our people in the military. If they will go out and do whatever we tell them to do... if they will peacekeep in whatever sad country we send them to, if they will go to Iraq time and time again, if they will see their high school and college classmates making way more money than they do - sometimes those classmates are doing the SAME JOB like when we have private contractors supplementing our forces - we have told them if they will accept long hours, moving a lot, the change of being killed by an enemy and the even worse thing (in my opinion) of having to shoot someone you don't know just because we tell them to... we have told them they get a pension and our lifelong thanks.

Burden? not at all. We don't do enough for our retirees - the people who survive what we ask them to do.

Actually, the dead ones cash in a $400,000 fund through the Servicemembers Group Life Insurance Program for their relatives.

So to confirm that this isn't just another straw man argument. Can someone provide evidence of someone claiming retirees are a "burden".

I do see lots of issues being conflated but that is no surprise given the crew responding and their lack of understanding of the military.

Back