Are there any Mormons on the board?

I’d like to discuss your faith.

I, too, would like to hear Mormon's talking at length about their beliefs and their faith. I have a former sister-in-law who was a cradle Mormon and still very active in the church, but I never made time to try to understand the "quotidian" details of what it means to be a Mormon.

I think Mormonism is an excellent case study for a relatively new faith. We know a great deal about the origins and I am always fascinated by what any early Church was like especially closer to the time when the faith first emerges. I think the mode of belief and the acceptance of the doctrines must be somewhat different than when people are born into a faith that has been established for hundreds or thousands of years.

Not one, but related to many, including my twin. That’s probably not who you are looking for, however.
I, too, would like to hear Mormon's talking at length about their beliefs and their faith. I have a former sister-in-law who was a cradle Mormon and still very active in the church, but I never made time to try to understand the "quotidian" details of what it means to be a Mormon.

I think Mormonism is an excellent case study for a relatively new faith. We know a great deal about the origins and I am always fascinated by what any early Church was like especially closer to the time when the faith first emerges. I think the mode of belief and the acceptance of the doctrines must be somewhat different than when people are born into a faith that has been established for hundreds or thousands of years.
I know there is a Mormon business and personal directory , and there is a Mormon audit where the church audits their members to make sure they tithe.
Seems very much like an interconnected business.

I know there is a Mormon business and personal directory , and there is a Mormon audit where the church audits their members to make sure they tithe.

In reality it is a REAL community. I'm not sure I'd want to live under restrictions that are policed that much, but my sense is that they will truly come together to help each other out.

In some respects that is the real value of religion: community. But obviously it comes with a LOT of strings attached.

In reality it is a REAL community. I'm not sure I'd want to live under restrictions that are policed that much, but my sense is that they will truly come together to help each other out.

In some respects that is the real value of religion: community. But obviously it comes with a LOT of strings attached.
IMO, they help each other out to the exclusion of nonmembers. In other words they alienate themselves, especially in business dealings.
Plus they’ve been known to skirt the law . Nonprofit BS.

2023 Securities and Exchange Commission charges against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints​

IMO, they help each other out to the exclusion of nonmembers. In other words they alienate themselves, especially in business dealings.
Plus they’ve been known to skirt the law . Nonprofit BS.

2023 Securities and Exchange Commission charges against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints​

I think any insular community kind of does that. Religion seems to be a generator of "insular communities".

I've heard life for a non-Mormon in SLC is one of feeling "on the outside".

I live out west here and run into a fair number of Mormons. Almost every one of which seemed to be a really nice person. Not sure if that's their thing or if I have just been really lucky.

There’s no doubt about that. The church is a HUGE fucking business. And their ability to keep track of their members is uncanny.

As a youngster, maybe 7 or 8, my wife was baptized a Mormon, but was never a practicing one. We married, she took my name and we moved 400 miles away for 3 years. When we returned back to our home town, it took almost no time for them to locate her and start to contact her again. AMAZING detective work.

Not only that, but if you leave the Mormon church, they contact your family to tattle on you. If you stop going to church, as my neighbors did, they send missionaries to check on you, aka "find out why you dared to not go to church".

I have known a few Mormons pretty well over many years.....I have nothing negative to say about that way of life.

There’s no doubt about that. The church is a HUGE fucking business. And their ability to keep track of their members is uncanny.

As a youngster, maybe 7 or 8, my wife was baptized a Mormon, but was never a practicing one. We married, she took my name and we moved 400 miles away for 3 years. When we returned back to our home town, it took almost no time for them to locate her and start to contact her again. AMAZING detective work.
My friend’s wife went to the Mormon church when she was in her 20’s , experimentation. She’s about 60 now and they still hound her. My friend finally told them to fuck off, and if they come around the house again he calls the police.

My friend’s wife went to the Mormon church when she was in her 20’s , experimentation. She’s about 60 now and they still hound her. My friend finally told them to fuck off, and if they come around the house again he calls the police.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Back