Army suicides up 20 percent in 2007, report says

This honestly reminds me of a conversation I saw on a Christian network once...

"WHAT KEEP SYOU FROM GOING OUT AND RAPING AND KILLING?!"

"What? I just don't."

"BUT THERE'S NOTHING FROM KEEPING YOU DOING IT!"

"Listen, would YOU go out and rape and kill if there were no God?"

"YES I WOULD!!!!!"

Thank God for God then. I, however, am driven by my own moral compass and absurdist philosophy.

This honestly reminds me of a conversation I saw on a Christian network once...

"WHAT KEEP SYOU FROM GOING OUT AND RAPING AND KILLING?!"

"What? I just don't."

"BUT THERE'S NOTHING FROM KEEPING YOU DOING IT!"

"Listen, would YOU go out and rape and kill if there were no God?"

"YES I WOULD!!!!!"

Thank God for God then. I, however, am driven by my own moral compass and absurdist philosophy.

That is a stupid argument. I am not making a stupid argument. What I am saying is that if I thought all the pain and suffering of life ended only in my death, then I would just end it now. It has nothing to do with "absurdist philosophy".

That is a stupid argument. I am not making a stupid argument. What I am saying is that if I thought all the pain and suffering of life ended only in my death, then I would just end it now. It has nothing to do with "absurdist philosophy".

There may be a bit of pain and suffering but it doesn't mean I want to kill myself. Clearly the sensors in my brain that nature put there to want to keep me alive aren't being driven crazy by the fact that I'll die one day so I don't see any reason to over-philosophize the issue.

But the main reason I think people, atheist, Buddist, and Muslim alike, kill themselves, isn't because they want to escape suffering, it's just that they're indifferent to living anymore. Sure, people that want to escape suffering do a lot of suicide gestures, but they rarely mean to actually kill themselves (I'm not suggesting that suicide gestures be taken lightly, now).

Think of the fact, for instance, that 4 times as many women as men attempt to kill themselves, while there are twice as many succesful suicides by men.

Just reinforces my belief that we could not win WWII if we had to fight it with today's population and today's army.

No way would we win in the same way.
The youth are too lazy and spoiled to live like the soldiers did in ww2. Imagine in the battlefield with no TV or net or computer games, not even an MP3 player .
Heck the youth of today would not even do well in Nam.

Also we have moved most of our industries to make war off shore.

then there is our oil guzzling dependancy on foreign oil.And our dependence on imports in general.

Why..............!

This is sad but inevitable in any war esp a prolonged one with soldiers acting as a police force with civies.

Been there, almost done that.[/QUOTE]

would you even entertain this thought?...What did you do while in Nam that would make you think this way? I truly believe you are going for the approval of the Libs in this board rather than a true statement! Shock and Awe comes to mind!:rolleyes:

Back