Article: Markets Getting Worse as Obama Lead Widens

Oh shit, we are gonna hve to pay more taxes on our gains? Let's just lose all our money instead.

Capital gains tax is a direct tax on return on investment (ie: buying stock). Obviously people are still going to invest but there is no question it's an incentive to invest less and use the money elsewhere.

We need a high cap gains tax on sort term investments, but lower on longer term. It sill help to stabilize the market.
Day traders should pay higher taxes by far, becuase all they are doing is gambling not investing.

Capital gains tax is a direct tax on return on investment (ie: buying stock). Obviously people are still going to invest but there is no question it's an incentive to invest less and use the money elsewhere.

But by having the capital gains tax unrealistically low compared to the tax on the common man you are encouraging reckless investment. An investment that someone wouldn't have made otherwise is now viable. And so, this is why the capital gains cut lead to a short time boom and then a major crash, and now we're down to the revenue levels we had before the capital gains cut.

The author seems to have Dano's lack of ability to identify or even care about causation.

The markets right now have absolutely zero to do with Obama; that's the most absurd claim I've read...well, since some of Dixie's stuff yesterday, at least....

Exactly. This is a stupid article.

Exactly. This is a stupid article.

Well, there is actually some correlation, just in the opposite direction. Obama's lead has increased because the market is going to shit, voters are more concerned about the economy and trust Obama on the economy more than McCain.

At least I have some polling data to support my theory.

Well, there is actually some correlation, just in the opposite direction. Obama's lead has increased because the market is going to shit, voters are more concerned about the economy and trust Obama on the economy more than McCain.

At least I have some polling data to support my theory.
But the market is not voters, it is investors and historically they have favored Repubs (for obvious reasons of less spending and less taxation than Dems). And in Obama's case versus McCain the same holds true.

Again, I think the article overdoes it by a lot and that this plays LITTLE role in why the market is doing worse, but LITTLE not NONE.

But the market is not voters, it is investors and historically they have favored Repubs (for obvious reasons of less spending and less taxation than Dems). And in Obama's case versus McCain the same holds true.

Again, I think the article overdoes it by a lot and that this plays LITTLE role in why the market is doing worse, but LITTLE not NONE.

You're missing the point. The assertion in the article is that the market is tanking because Obama is winning. My assertion is that Obama is winning because the market is tanking. It's a chicken-egg problem.

Oh, and in the Obama versus McCain case, individuals working in the finance/insurace/real estate have given more money to Obama than McCain. In the securities and investment industries Obama beats McCain by a large margin. In fact, this was at one point part of the McCain campaign against Obama - Wall Street really wants him to win so he can't be good for Main Street.

au contrare. What about all the right wing rhetoric that all of us are in the market with 401K's, Mortgages, etc ?

yep... just buy GTLS ;)

I think I am going to challenge your down 136%

No no... WM. GTLS is still a strong company despite the stock price. We've haven't layed anyone off and there are no plans for it. Still growing, and the stock price is way, way off what it should be.

The market decides what the stock price should be.

Right, but the market is stupid right now. Investors are being really stupid and have pulled funds out of stocks they know little about (IE GTLS). But really, Chart Industries is a strong and growing company, but the stock price says otherwise. Investors are just shaky and nothing is valued correctly ATM.

Right, but the market is stupid right now. Investors are being really stupid and have pulled funds out of stocks they know little about (IE GTLS). But really, Chart Industries is a strong and growing company, but the stock price says otherwise. Investors are just shaky and nothing is valued correctly ATM.

But 2 years ago the market was not stupid ?

hmmm.

You're right. Most stocks are being traded on emotions rather than fundamentals.

It all goes back to Bush sounding the alarm. and yes, I do blame him.

Back