As predicted, folks are seeing they've been had

Try again, as that is NOT how I define taxes with respect to Obama's promise.

Yes, I am against taxes which will have the net effect of harming the lower income brackets, such as cap and trade taxes, higher corporate taxes on essential goods, federal "fees" on health insurance, and all the other proposed taxes and fees being bandied about. But no, these are NOT taxes which could be counted as Obama breaking his promise.

OTOH, raising the taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, and (proposed) gasoline and fuel oil DO directly increase the amount of federal taxes paid by the individual. It's more than just "affecting" them, it is making them pay more federal taxes. That makes them a promise breaker: "You won't see ANY of your taxes go up."

And, BTW, according to your definition, if he raised the base rate to 25% across the board, then it would not be a tax raise on the lower income brackets, because it was not aimed specifically at them? That is how that kind of logic goes - and is all too often used successfully by governments to cover up their lies.

It's not a lie. If someone whines about raising taxes on the middle class it's reasonable to conclude they're referring to taxes specifically aimed at the middle class. Otherwise, one would simply refer to raising taxes.

All the things you mentioned affect the lower class and the wealthy as well as the middle class.

As I asked previously what could be taxed that wouldn't affect the middle class while still raising revenue an appreciable amount?

Surely there isn't anyone who thinks the current financial fiasco isn't going to involve some form of tax increase. The wars and bailouts are not a free lunch.

On the upside Obama is trying to ensure people will be able to afford decent medical coverage even if they are short a few dollars in their wallet.

Back