At last the US wakes up to high speed rail

The war in Iraq, much as it was a boondoggle and we were lead there by our noses under false pretenses is not a complete failure. Since the surge, life has become better in Iraq, There are still car bombings and such, but using that as a failure indicator would mean the Israel has been a failed nation for 60 years. Much as I hate to agree with him, Solitary is right, in the sense of "we broke it, we bought it". Gotta fix it. Can't just walk away and say, "there you go Iraq, I know that prior to Saddam's over throw you had running water and electricity, but hey, even without those things, you're free!" They won't be for long and it will make the country ripe for the picking by some radical Islamic cleric to be the new leader. Then we are truly fucked. I believe that will be the eventual outcome anyway, but gotta try to put Humpty back together as best we can.

Not to mention these type of projects typically end up costing 4 to 5 times the initial projections.

Yet another unfunded mandate of fiscal irresponsibility by the Obama Administration.

Budget overruns have to be taken into consideration but 4 to 5 times is just a number you pulled straight out of your stupid worthless redneck ass.

The war in Iraq, much as it was a boondoggle and we were lead there by our noses under false pretenses is not a complete failure. Since the surge, life has become better in Iraq, There are still car bombings and such, but using that as a failure indicator would mean the Israel has been a failed nation for 60 years. Much as I hate to agree with him, Solitary is right, in the sense of "we broke it, we bought it". Gotta fix it. Can't just walk away and say, "there you go Iraq, I know that prior to Saddam's over throw you had running water and electricity, but hey, even without those things, you're free!" They won't be for long and it will make the country ripe for the picking by some radical Islamic cleric to be the new leader. Then we are truly fucked. I believe that will be the eventual outcome anyway, but gotta try to put Humpty back together as best we can.

The situation in Iraq has become relatively stable, although the insurgency is probably going to last until god knows when. I'm a little glad we didn't pull out in 2006; I never really supported doing so.

But America isn't the worlds policeman and we can't go and fix every situation in the world. There are many countries in the world that were as bad or worse off the Iraq; to try to conquer everyone to make them better off would so drain the US that we'd lose influence as a world power, which China would then fill.

Budget overruns have to be taken into consideration but 4 to 5 times is just a number you pulled straight out of your stupid worthless redneck ass.

Not to mention that many projects that stimulus money is being spent on right now are coming in under budget.

Actually 4-5 times is a number pulled out of my experienced-in-public-rail-projects redneck ass. I worked on the electrification of the NE corridor back in the 1970's, when high speed rail was promised to be completed in the 1980's. :cof1:

I know that when Seattle built Safeco Field in 1999, they accidentally came up with $100 million in overcost, let alone all of the other aspects they couldn't get right. This type of thing is common in Western WA. Can't speak for anywhere else...

The situation in Iraq has become relatively stable, although the insurgency is probably going to last until god knows when. I'm a little glad we didn't pull out in 2006; I never really supported doing so.

But America isn't the worlds policeman and we can't go and fix every situation in the world. There are many countries in the world that were as bad or worse off the Iraq; to try to conquer everyone to make them better off would so drain the US that we'd lose influence as a world power, which China would then fill.

Yep that is about were we are now.

Back