Atheism vs. Religion

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
83XKf.jpg

Cute, if only explanations were so simple. Now marry the two and come back with the outcome.

"...[T]he most important identity we can acknowledge in another person is the identity of being an intelligent reflective human being." Stefan Collini 'That's Offensive'

wouldn't the atheist be saying "There are no puzzles!"?.......
Typical christian response "They don't believe in the invisible man in the sky, so they don't believe in anything."

If atheists were to take that tone we'd crack comments about bigfoot, the lochness and a free press. Instead all we have to do is repeat back what you say.

Typical christian response "They don't believe in the invisible man in the sky, so they don't believe in anything."

If atheists were to take that tone we'd crack comments about bigfoot, the lochness and a free press. Instead all we have to do is repeat back what you say.

atheists DO take that tone, that's why my comment was spot on.......

wouldn't the atheist be saying "There are no puzzles!"?.......

Why, oh why would an atheist say that? You do understand the cartoon don't you? The puzzle is an analogy for humanity's understanding of existence. Athiests certainly believe humanity has an understanding of existence. Atheism is born from humanity's understanding of existence. It is the logical conclusion and an extension of that understanding.

As our understanding has progressed, the god of the gaps, man's use of god to explain that that we didn't understand, has shrunk to an irrelevancy, so that the only ground it has left to stand on is some obscurum per obscurius explanation as god as a 'first cause'. This is the box lid in this analogy. God used to be able to explain almost everything. Pregnancy was explained by Boreas, god of the north wind. Storms were attributed to Zeus. What a retreat god has made since those days.

God is not the explanation you are looking for PostmodernProphet. God isn't the best explanation, it isn't even a credible explanation. It asks far more questions than it answers.

But I imagine that god's other guise, god the comforter, is your crutch and, like relinquishing a prescription painkiller habit, it isn't easy to get past that. You have to want to come off god because rehabilition can be emotionally draining and you need to have the courage to accept the nihilistic reality of existence and overcome it. Only then you will see life in its true technicolour glory.

There is help available if you need it.

TGPTD, thank you for this cartoon strip. I was looking for a way to teach my toddler the lesson of the obstinacy of faith, and I couldn't have presented it in any better way.

You have been around since 06, similar to myself. Did you have another name?

TGPTD, thank you for this cartoon strip. I was looking for a way to teach my toddler the lesson of the obstinacy of faith, and I couldn't have presented it in any better way.

You have been around since 06, similar to myself. Did you have another name?

AOI, good to have you back!

AOI, good to have you back!

Thankyou Rana. Like King Arthur or Sir Francis Drake, I have never really been away. I just rest until atheist missionary work is needed. :)

And this forum is like crack cocaine to me, so I need to be careful not to get 'too' hooked again...

Hope you are well!

Thankyou Rana. Like King Arthur or Sir Francis Drake, I have never really been away. I just rest until atheist missionary work is needed. :)

And this forum is like crack cocaine to me, so I need to be careful not to get 'too' hooked again...

Hope you are well!

I am well, thank you so much and hoping the same for you.

because they deny it's a puzzle.....they insist they already know nothing is in the picture....but you already knew that.....
They did not insist there was NOTHING in the picture. If you recall, he mentioned the pond, some trees and sky and ultimately Winnie and Tigger. It was the other, the "theist" if you will who even though the puzzle was missing only one piece, and the Duck on the box obviously was bigger than one piece, still insisted that there was going to be a duck in the picture. But of course, you get this and yet revel in pretending to be obtuse.

Back