AZ police want 8 year old charged as adult

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
This is one reason I will never vote for a Republican.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/11/8/164949/078

An 8 year old boy in Arizona allegedly shot and killed his father and another man yesterday. Police want him charged as an adult.

As if an 8 year old has the mental capacity to understand the act of murder? It hasn't stopped Arizona prosecutors before:

Earlier this year in Arizona, prosecutors in Cochise County filed first-degree murder charges against a 12-year-old boy accused of killing his mother.

In the 8 year old's case, there are indications he may have been abused. Others say no reports are on records. Then, there's the interrogation of the boy. [More...]

This is fucking crazy. An Eight year old cannot be held to the same level of culpability as an adult. And if the boy underwent interrogation NOTHING he says can be used against him unless his mother was present or a Guardian Ad Litem was appointed and there.

I read an article that said the court apponted attorney was protesting that the kid was interrogated without a parent or lawyer present and that they didn't read him his rights.

Hopefully that will get this "try him as an adult" bullshit stopped.

I don't think he could even be tried in some states. I don't know if 8 is yet old enough in CO even.

In NM a child under the age of 13 is presumed to be incapable of waiving his rights, they can read them to her but she cannot be held to have understood them well enough to waive them. Imagine being 8 years old in an interrogation room with police and they are asking you questions. You would have no idea what your rights were.

This poor kid is now in foster care because no parent is coming forward.

Stepmom doesnt want him and his mother has not stepped forward.

This kid was not a troubled kid from all reports Ive read.

This is one wierd story, I think the police blew the initial investigation by jumping to conclusions about what happened here.

It is bizarre that the police are trying to get him as an adult. I haven't read anyone who agreed with that yet, and this is the internet. They said they were "hoping" to get a judge to agree with trying him as an adult, but hopefully the judge will have the sense not to.

An 8-year old simply isn't able to understand death in the way that we do. If he truly grows up to by a psychopath he should be put into a mental institution, but I don't think that's the likely case. I'm not here to internet-diagnose him, but charging him as an adult is clearly the wrong thing to do.

I don't think he could even be tried in some states. I don't know if 8 is yet old enough in CO even.

A lot of states put the limit to like 10 or 8 or abolished the limit entirely during the youth crime scare in the 90's. But most prosecutors simply wouldn't attempt to put an 8 year old in the adult criminal court system. They'd get torn to pieces if they were thrown in an adult prison.

In NM a child under the age of 13 is presumed to be incapable of waiving his rights, they can read them to her but she cannot be held to have understood them well enough to waive them. Imagine being 8 years old in an interrogation room with police and they are asking you questions. You would have no idea what your rights were.
When I was 11 I was questioned by the cops. It was quite an interesting experience. I had to read my rights to myself and initial them after he asked if I understood them.

BTW - Don't light fires up by the railroad tracks when you are pretending to be camping...

A lot of states put the limit to like 10 or 8 or abolished the limit entirely during the youth crime scare in the 90's. But most prosecutors simply wouldn't attempt to put an 8 year old in the adult criminal court system. They'd get torn to pieces if they were thrown in an adult prison.

if you are young and tried as an adult, you don't go directly to adult prison if you are convicted watermark.

They'll put you in juvenile detention till you turn 18/21 and then ship you to the adult prison.

if you are young and tried as an adult, you don't go directly to adult prison if you are convicted watermark.

They'll put you in juvenile detention till you turn 18/21 and then ship you to the adult prison.

Well kids shouldn't be charged as adults regardless. I think we should start allowing them to charge kids as adults the same time we give them whiskey and the vote.

you really are on a dumb streak aren't you? Lol yeah 8 year old jimmy is going away to san quentin where he'll join the aryan nation - fun size addition.

An eight year old will get grounded for stealing cookies out of the cookie jar and then do it again, I know cause I have a 10 year old that used to be an 8 year old cookie thief. Christ if only I had known I could have had her larceny charged as an adult. That would stopped the cookie theft.

it appears that the kid is being charged in juvenile court

i join the rest of you in stating that charging an 8 year old as an adult is insane

no one has bothered to find out why the kid killed his father and boarder yet

something like being molested may be

They said they think he was abused. I think the kid should get a reward, 'specially if his father was a Republican. He should get free education for the rest of his life if his father was a Southern Republican.

They said they think he was abused. I think the kid should get a reward, 'specially if his father was a Republican. He should get free education for the rest of his life if his father was a Southern Republican.
If he were molested and I were on the jury, there would be no conviction.

This is one reason I will never vote for a Republican.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/11/8/164949/078

An 8 year old boy in Arizona allegedly shot and killed his father and another man yesterday. Police want him charged as an adult.

As if an 8 year old has the mental capacity to understand the act of murder? It hasn't stopped Arizona prosecutors before:

Earlier this year in Arizona, prosecutors in Cochise County filed first-degree murder charges against a 12-year-old boy accused of killing his mother.

In the 8 year old's case, there are indications he may have been abused. Others say no reports are on records. Then, there's the interrogation of the boy. [More...]

I would guess they want him charged so they can force him to get a mental health check. This happens a lot with children, it's actually a good idea. Otherwise, you can't force parents to get their kid evaluated.

Back