BAC Is Right, Slavery In US

In my mind slavery is as vile a crime as murder and rape and should be punished by life in prison. There is no greater crime than you deny a person their personal sovereignty. I hope this woman gets beat in prison and comes out only to be buried somewhere.

i cant believe what socrates just said.he obviously has no empathy
I save my empathy for the victims of this crime.

The criminal deserves no sympathy and will get none from me nor anyone else who values freedom and individuality. Nor do I have any inkling to try to understand (empathize) how a person can act as if they have the right to treat others humans as chattel. Like murderers and rapists, she has demonstrated through her actions she is not deserving of anything except contempt from our society.

I agree that this kind of slavery exists, but this kind is illegal .. what about the slavery in America that is still legal and supported by the 13th Amendment?

America's new slaves aren't on the plantaion picking cotton, they're in prison making furniture, US military clothing, assembling computers, and working at a variety of jobs for the largest corporations in America .. for about 25 cents an hour. Although they've gone from plantation to prison, America's newest slaves look a lot like the old ones.

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

America’s New Slavery: Black Men in Prison
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_4475.shtml

From Plantation to Penitentiary to the Prison-Industrial Complex:
Literature of the American Prison

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~hbf/MLABLACK.htm

SLAVERY REINSTITUTED IN AMERICA
http://www.apfn.org/THEWINDS/1996/12/modern_slavery.html

Did you know some factories and companies are laying off American workers then re-opening shop inside prisons?

"The private contracting of prisoners for work fosters incentives to lock people up. Prisons depend on this income. Corporate stockholders who make money off prisoners' work lobby for longer sentences, in order to expand their workforce. The system feeds itself," says a study by the Progressive Labor Party, which accuses the prison industry of being "an imitation of Nazi Germany with respect to forced slave labor and concentration camps."

The prison industry complex is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States and its investors are on Wall Street. "This multimillion-dollar industry has its own trade exhibitions, conventions, websites, and mail-order/Internet catalogs. It also has direct advertising campaigns, architecture companies, construction companies, investment houses on Wall Street, plumbing supply companies, food supply companies, armed security, and padded cells in a large variety of colors.

According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens. Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services; 93% of paints and paintbrushes; 92% of stove assembly; 46% of body armor; 36% of home appliances; 30% of headphones/microphones/speakers; and 21% of office furniture. Airplane parts, medical supplies, and much more: prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people.

IMPORTING AND EXPORTING INMATES

Profits are so good that now there is a new business: importing inmates with long sentences, meaning the worst criminals. When a federal judge ruled that overcrowding in Texas prisons was cruel and unusual punishment, the CCA signed contracts with sheriffs in poor counties to build and run new jails and share the profits. According to a December 1998 Atlantic Monthly magazine article, this program was backed by investors from Merrill-Lynch, Shearson-Lehman, American Express and Allstate, and the operation was scattered all over rural Texas. That state's governor, Ann Richards, followed the example of Mario Cuomo in New York and built so many state prisons that the market became flooded, cutting into private prison profits.

After a law signed by Clinton in 1996 - ending court supervision and decisions - caused overcrowding and violent, unsafe conditions in federal prisons, private prison corporations in Texas began to contact other states whose prisons were overcrowded, offering "rent-a-cell" services in the CCA prisons located in small towns in Texas. The commission for a rent-a-cell salesman is $2.50 to $5.50 per day per bed. The county gets $1.50 for each prisoner.

STATISTICS

Ninety-seven percent of 125,000 federal inmates have been convicted of non-violent crimes. It is believed that more than half of the 623,000 inmates in municipal or county jails are innocent of the crimes they are accused of. Of these, the majority are awaiting trial. Two-thirds of the one million state prisoners have committed non-violent offenses. Sixteen percent of the country's 2 million prisoners suffer from mental illness."
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8289

In my mind slavery is as vile a crime as murder and rape and should be punished by life in prison. There is no greater crime than you deny a person their personal sovereignty. I hope this woman gets beat in prison and comes out only to be buried somewhere.

Well, if its as vile as murder and rape, why don't we execute them as well?

I agree that this kind of slavery exists, but this kind is illegal .. what about the slavery in America that is still legal and supported by the 13th Amendment?

America's new slaves aren't on the plantaion picking cotton, they're in prison making furniture, US military clothing, assembling computers, and working at a variety of jobs for the largest corporations in America .. for about 25 cents an hour. Although they've gone from plantation to prison, America's newest slaves look a lot like the old ones.

<snipped material>

One would think the unions would be up in arms on this one. Aside from anything else (and there are plenty of issues), doesn't the use of forced labour reduce the cost of labour?

Oh wait......

<snipped material>

One would think the unions would be up in arms on this one. Aside from anything else (and there are plenty of issues), doesn't the use of forced labour reduce the cost of labour?

Oh wait......

:)

You got it.

Check this out ...

UNICOR, Federal Prison Inductries .. shop at home
http://www.unicor.gov/index.cfm

It is a wholly-owned GOVERNMENT corporation.

Those labor costs? .. as low as 12 cents an hour.

As bad as these examples of slavery are, I think the much more prevalent sort of slavery is the kind practiced by the mill towns and their ilk.

According to the story, she was really hungry and therefore wasn't responsible for her behavior...

The only answer is to execute these people. the only way to avoid this type of behaviour is to kill the perpetrators.

Back