Bezerkley Strikes Again

cawacko

It's got to be comforting to here a government official say "We want to emphasize that this is in people's interest".

So Berkeley wants to force people to make their homes more global warming friendly to the tune of up to $33K in manadatory improvements. Gotta love the hippies.

Hot debate ahead on Berkeley's energy plans

Carolyn Jones, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, April 18, 2009

The classic Berkeley home - a creaky Victorian with drafty windows, a Wedgewood stove and musty furnace - will undergo a drastic makeover under the city's aggressive new plans to fight global warming.

Within the next few years, the city is likely to mandate that all homes meet strict energy standards. In many cases this would mean new double-paned windows, insulation in the attic, walls and floors, a new white roof that reflects heat, a forced-air furnace and high-efficiency appliances.

The cost: upward of $33,800.

"The improvements will not only save energy, they'll make the home less drafty and more comfortable," said Billi Romain, the city's sustainability coordinator. "There are many benefits not just for the city, but for the homeowner."

The requirements, some of the most drastic efforts any municipality has taken to curb global warming, are part of the city's long-awaited Climate Action Plan. The 145-page report, which has been closely watched by other cities and states, covers everything from organic gardening to recycling to bike paths.

The plan, which the City Council is slated to approve Tuesday, aims to bring the city into compliance with Measure G, a 2006 initiative requiring the city to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent by 2050.

Under the proposal, all homeowners in Berkeley will be required to hire an energy auditor to inspect their home for leaks and inefficiencies.

Each home will receive a rating, similar to a car's gas- mileage rating. The owner will be required to improve the home's energy efficiency to meet city standards.

From incentives to penalties
In the beginning, the city will offer incentives, such as rebates and financial assistance, for homeowners to comply. But within a few years, the city will start imposing penalties for those who don't meet the standards, said Timothy Burroughs, the city's climate action coordinator.

"We want to emphasize that this is in people's interest," he said. "If we're serious about reducing our emissions, it's only possible if virtually every building achieves significant improvements in energy efficiency."

No deadlines or specific standards have been set yet. But the city's goal is for all of Berkeley's 23,000 homes and 25,000 duplexes and apartment units to reduce energy use by 35 percent by 2020.

In some cases, the standards can be met relatively inexpensively, Romain said. Caulking, sealing, insulation and new appliances - an investment of under $10,000 - can reduce energy use by more than 25 percent.

Tougher new standards
Berkeley already has strict energy standards for homes, but they're only applied when a home is sold or undergoes major remodeling. The new standards will be tougher and apply to all homes.

Eventually energy standards will be applied to businesses and industries, as well.

Financial assistance will be available to low-income homeowners. Portions of the plan will be paid for with federal stimulus money, parking rate increases and possibly a carbon tax.

The plan is likely to draw an uproar at Tuesday's meeting, not just for the home requirements but for its emphasis on high-density housing development.

"It's ridiculous," said Laurie Bright, president of the Berkeley Council of Neighborhood Associations.

"I don't believe this proposal will have any effect on reducing greenhouse gas emissions," he said. "We can't develop our way out of climate change."

Berkeley is already overloaded with permit requirements and building standards, he said.

"This is piling on," Bright said. "It's like the banks making their customers bail them out. Berkeley wants to do all these great things but wants the homeowners to pay for it all."

Former Mayor Shirley Dean said the costs will be too high for most residents.

"If we're going to have any economic diversity in this city at all, we can't require people to make these awfully, awfully costly upgrades," she said. "I think people really want to do the right thing, but they just don't have this kind of money."

Meeting the Measure G goal will require Berkeley residents to dramatically change their lifestyles, but the sacrifices will make the city healthier and lead to a higher quality of life, said Alan Tobey, a board member of Livable Berkeley, which advocates for moderate growth.

The plan also calls for zero garbage sent to landfill, large improvements in public transit, bike lanes and car-shares, and most food sold in stores and restaurants to be produced within a few hundred miles of the city.

"This plan is a national model, in many ways," Tobey said. "People belittle the idea that one city can take on a global problem, but we're showing that it can be done."

Council meeting
The Berkeley City Council meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Old City Hall, 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Berkeley. For more information about the Climate Action Plan, go to www.berkeleyclimateaction.org.

Energy audit
The Berkeley City Council will consider a proposal that would force all homes to be audited for their energy efficiency. Here are some estimated costs of energy efficiency upgrades on a typical 1920s three-bedroom, two-bath bungalow:

New windows
$500 to $1,000 per window, depending if they're vinyl or wood. Average home might have 15 windows.

New roof
$12,000 to $15,000.

Insulation
In the attic, walls and floor: $3,000 to $4,000.

Heating
New forced-air furnace, replacing an older gravity furnace: $7,000 to $8,000.

Appliances
Energy Star refrigerator $2,000 and up

Energy Star washer $750 and up

Energy Star dryer $500 and up

Energy Star dishwasher $450 and up

Energy Star gas range $600 and up

Total $33,800 to $46,300.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/18/MNLE174GD5.DTL&tsp=1

How do you think the economy is going to rebound if people don't buy stuff?

I did not figure Cawacko to be an anti corporate type.

This is still America and not the Soviet Union. We buy stuff we WANT to buy. Not the stuff we're FORCED to buy.

Sure, we like to buy car insurance?
We like to buy permits and liscences?
We like to pay lease payments on property aka property taxes?
Busy right now all that I can think of.

Bush I said to buy things on credit to end his or Reagans recession.

Are you one of the have your cake and eat it too bunch?
The investment and accompanying tax credits will pay for themselves.
Will that wide screen TV?

Who makes most of the building materials used ? AMERICA! BUY AMERICAN! :usflag:

Who makes most of the stuff we want to buy? China or somewhere.

Last edited:
This is still America and not the Soviet Union. We buy stuff we WANT to buy. Not the stuff we're FORCED to buy.

Yeah, quite a big difference between people buying something by choice vs. the government forcing you to buy something whether you want it or not or can afford it. I'm not quite sure how he even came up with his analogy.

Yeah, quite a big difference between people buying something by choice vs. the government forcing you to buy something whether you want it or not or can afford it. I'm not quite sure how he even came up with his analogy.

the govt does not force you to buy a house. Renters will not have to do that.
also I figure with utility savings and tax credits it will not be nearly as expensive as caw says.

If you have a home you are forced to buy public services such as sewer and water.
of course if they are available in your area.

Sure, we like to buy car insurance?
We like to buy permits and liscences?
We like to pay lease payments on property aka property taxes?
Busy right now all that I can think of.

Bush I said to buy things on credit to end his or Reagans recession.

Are you one of the have your cake and eat it too bunch?
The investment and accompanying tax credits will pay for themselves.
Will that wide screen TV?

Who makes most of the building materials used ? AMERICA! BUY AMERICAN! :usflag:

Who makes most of the stuff we want to buy? China or somewhere.

I am one of the bunch that will buy what's necessary to keep me legal like your mention of insurance, fees, taxes, etc. I will buy American any old day of the week to support my country and the citizens of my country.

When you start telling me what damn toilet and washing machine to buy then I am going to put my foot down and tell you to pound sand.

Are you one of those bunch that wants to just to bend over and submit?

I am one of the bunch that will buy what's necessary to keep me legal like your mention of insurance, fees, taxes, etc. I will buy American any old day of the week to support my country and the citizens of my country.

When you start telling me what damn toilet and washing machine to buy then I am going to put my foot down and tell you to pound sand.

Bullshit! Try and buy a 4 gal per flush toilet.
Try and buy a new car without seatbelts or cataliltic converter.

You do not realize that you are already where you are denying.

Bullshit! Try and buy a 4 gal per flush toilet.
Try and buy a new car without seatbelts or cataliltic converter.

You do not realize that you are already where you are denying.

Uh Buddy....?

I don't buy, I don't cry. I like to try and control the things I can control. Things out of my control...well fella, they're out of my hands, but until then?

I will exercise my freedom of choice and if you want to pick that part, have at it.

Might as well be arguing about the benefits of belly button lint for crikey sakes.

For the record? It's catalytic converter.

ROTFL!! I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits and comparisons of bellybutton lint were in the Omnibus Bill, which no one read. :rolleyes: Our leaders (?) are not looking out for us. No wonder people are hopping mad.

Uh Buddy....?

I don't buy, I don't cry. I like to try and control the things I can control. Things out of my control...well fella, they're out of my hands, but until then?

I will exercise my freedom of choice and if you want to pick that part, have at it.

Might as well be arguing about the benefits of belly button lint for crikey sakes.

For the record? It's catalytic converter.

ROTFL!! I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits and comparisons of bellybutton lint were in the Omnibus Bill, which no one read. :rolleyes: Our leaders (?) are not looking out for us. No wonder people are hopping mad.

What, you missed it? It was on page 847 paragraph 3 section 239. It was situated between the pig manure pork and the saliva has health benefits paragraph. You know, between spit-n-shit.

I don't buy American.

Californians are already leaving the state. They are sick of it.

info-censussort122007_map.gif

Yeah massive population losses there. Texas has Mexicans coming in (which is the reason for about 110% of it's population growth), otherwise the red IE fascist states are taking the biggest hit.

I don't buy American.

Can you still buy American, I use to really try hard to do so, but it is hard to find what you need these days and have it be made by America.

Louis Vuitton is made in America? hmmmmm

Can you still buy American, I use to really try hard to do so, but it is hard to find what you need these days and have it be made by America.

Louis Vuitton is made in America? hmmmmm

Fresh milk is still American, unless you live close to a border I suppose.

And we used to be able to buy lots of American stuff till we chose to buy imported ie China.

WE citizens are just as much to blame for the trade imbalance as China is.

Back