big pharma and cannabis

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/90469/

It seems big pharma thinks cannabis has medical uses.

The US government's longstanding denial of medical marijuana research and use is an irrational and morally bankrupt public policy. On this point, few Americans disagree. As for the question of "why" federal officials maintain this inflexible and inhumane policy, well that's another story

One of the more popular theories seeking to explain the Feds' seemingly inexplicable ban on medical pot goes like this: Neither the US government nor the pharmaceutical industry will allow for the use of medical marijuana because they can't patent it or profit from it.

It's an appealing theory, yet I've found it to be neither accurate nor persuasive. Here's why.

First, let me state the obvious. Big Pharma is busily applying for -- and has already received -- multiple patents for the medical properties of pot. These include patents for synthetic pot derivatives (such as the oral THC pill Marinol), cannabinoid agonists (synthetic agents that bind to the brain's endocannabinoid receptors) like HU-210 and cannabis antagonists such as Rimonabant. This trend was most recently summarized in the NIH paper (pdf), "The endocannabinoid system as an emerging target of pharmacotherapy," which concluded, "The growing interest in the underlying science has been matched by a growth in the number of cannabinoid drugs in pharmaceutical development from two in 1995 to 27 in 2004." In other words, at the same time the American Medical Association is proclaiming that pot has no medical value, Big Pharma is in a frenzy to bring dozens of new, cannabis-based medicines to market.

Desh. They want to keep it illegal in it's raw form, so people cannot create it easily themselves. The theory is still totally valid.

I see many states having some pretty big revenue shortages. I see the majority of voters feeling it is next to harmless. I can envision a few states trying to legalize it and use the revenue and savings on policing to fix their fiscal problems. GB Franks is sponsering a bill to decriminalize as we speak.

I see many states having some pretty big revenue shortages. I see the majority of voters feeling it is next to harmless. I can envision a few states trying to legalize it and use the revenue and savings on policing to fix their fiscal problems. GB Franks is sponsering a bill to decriminalize as we speak.
Lip service. Until it's ACTUALLY LEGAL, big pharma is getting their way. But I'm glad you have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Its like this , anyone can grow tomatoes but most jsut buy them from a store because its easy.

Pot will be the same way.

smartest post ever by desh on the facts.
And the American people overwhelmingly agree.
But the politicians don't

Heres what you fail to understand, when you kick out the party that operates to take money from the big money interests then you have a chance to have the country for and by the people like the founders designed.

there's a chance, but don't be so convinced that dems will be different.
I say they can still take their big money elswhere and legalize pot, quit having optional wars, pay for healthcare and college.
doing that they would keep republicans out of power for 20yrs.

Heres what you fail to understand, when you kick out the party that operates to take money from the big money interests then you have a chance to have the country for and by the people like the founders designed.

Both parties take money from big money interests. Do you deny that?

I dont think Obama is corrupt and he is the new party head. No party or any origanization is uncorruptable.

Back