Bill Clinton lied about Obama's war stance

Onceler

He uses an out-of-context quote to try to portray Obama as wavering & waffling in 2004. Here's Obama's take, which was confirmed from a transcript:

`(Russert): Given your firm opposition to the war, what do you make of the fact that your nominee for president and vice president didn't have that same foresight.' And obviously I didn't want to criticize them on the eve of their nomination. So I said, `Well, I don't know what _ you know, I wasn't in the Senate. I can't say for certain what I would have done if I was there. I know that from where I stood the case was not made.' He always leaves that out."

It's just so Clinton to do that. I voted for him twice & I thought he was a good President, but he's killing his legacy w/ me right now...

He uses an out-of-context quote to try to portray Obama as wavering & waffling in 2004. Here's Obama's take, which was confirmed from a transcript:

`(Russert): Given your firm opposition to the war, what do you make of the fact that your nominee for president and vice president didn't have that same foresight.' And obviously I didn't want to criticize them on the eve of their nomination. So I said, `Well, I don't know what _ you know, I wasn't in the Senate. I can't say for certain what I would have done if I was there. I know that from where I stood the case was not made.' He always leaves that out."

It's just so Clinton to do that. I voted for him twice & I thought he was a good President, but he's killing his legacy w/ me right now...
This leaves out the secondary statement by Obama later in 2003 that said, "There is little difference between President Bush and I on Iraq..."

It seems that your spin machine seemed to have left out information as well.

Clinton's are going full out now.. dispatched Chelsy for young women.. bill for spin.. and Hillary on the I am the black candidate war path.

makes me sick to think shes going to wind up winning.

the clinton's play hardball politics. There were some hard ball politics between Gore and Bradley in 2000. It sucks, but I don't think its that unusual.

This leaves out the secondary statement by Obama later in 2003 that said, "There is little difference between President Bush and I on Iraq..."

It seems that your spin machine seemed to have left out information as well.

Russert's transcript confirmed the conversation that Obama is referring to, which is what Clinton has been using.

Please provide a link to the above quote you reference.

Russert's transcript confirmed the conversation that Obama is referring to, which is what Clinton has been using.

Please provide a link to the above quote you reference.
Ask Clinton for it, they are the ones using it.

That is not waffling on the war. its very clear. If clintons are saying its waffling on war stance then they are full of shit.

No - I'm asking you, because you were the one saying I was using a spin machine.

The fact that the Clinton camp is likely misrepresenting another quote is no surprise.
Ah, I see. So pointing out that your statement didn't complete the argument the clintons are making and calling that spin makes me responsible for their statements? I don't think so.

He was on the radio here talking up how they weren't going to let SC ignore these statements of Obama's. Mentioning first the "I don't know how I would have voted..." then later the "There is little difference..." statements as a "flip-floppnig".

Ah, I see. So pointing out that your statement didn't complete the argument the clintons are making and calling that spin makes me responsible for their statements? I don't think so.

He was on the radio here talking up how they weren't going to let SC ignore these statements of Obama's. Mentioning first the "I don't know how I would have voted..." then later the "There is little difference..." statements as a "flip-floppnig".

That's why I want a link. I'm not using a spin machine, at all. I have read & seen a few stories on this, from a variety of sources, and seen the transcript from Russert. I have also heard discussion about the "there is little difference between Bush & I" quote, which, in the discussion, they said was also taken out of context by the Clintons, and was actually referring to a very small slice of the Iraq policy (I think something about training Iraqis), and the Clintons have turned it into "there is very little difference between Bush & I on Iraq" OVERALL, which is preposterous on its surface......

That's why I want a link. I'm not using a spin machine, at all. I have read & seen a few stories on this, from a variety of sources, and seen the transcript from Russert. I have also heard discussion about the "there is little difference between Bush & I" quote, which, in the discussion, they said was also taken out of context by the Clintons, and was actually referring to a very small slice of the Iraq policy (I think something about training Iraqis), and the Clintons have turned it into "there is very little difference between Bush & I on Iraq" OVERALL, which is preposterous on its surface......
Well, I can't link to the radio show. We'll have to wait until they pull that one out of their hat too...

Bill Clinton has been asserting that Obama went back & forth on the war, opposing & then supporting & then opposing it again, and that Obama is misrepresenting himself by saying he always opposed it....

It frankly strikes me as garden-variety hardball primary politics. Doesn't make it right, but these things happen.

I'll tell you what is more disturbing to me: are the smears on Obama about his drug use, and the indirect insertion of race into the campaign by clinton staffers.

And make no mistake, Obama has played hardball too. He used rightwing talking points to smear edwards healthcare plan.

Bill Clinton has been asserting that Obama went back & forth on the war, opposing & then supporting & then opposing it again, and that Obama is misrepresenting himself by saying he always opposed it....

Well, honestly, though I think that’s exaggerated, (not outright false though) I think it’s less exaggerated than the Obama campaign claiming that Bill Clinton said Obama’s candidacy is a fairytale, and this new narrative which seems to strongly imply, if not outright say actually, that the Clintons are racists.

I am really getting turned off by that. But, I’m still voting for Edwards no matter what, so I’m not the target in either of these campaigns. It is getting ugly though. Maybe Edwards will be able to benefit from that in the long run, who knows. Hope springs eternal.

Clinton's "fairy tale" remarks were a moment of desperation & widely criticized as a pretty ugly moment for him. I haven't seen where the Obama campaign has really misrepresented them. It was not a good moment for BC.

I also think the Clintons are making race a subtle, unspoken issue by focusing on electability. I'm not the only one.

I'm not saying Obama isn't playing hardball also, and I'm sure he is guilty of exaggerating & misrepresenting some things. I started this thread because I've basically had it with BC. Frankly, I think he's probably hurting Hillary more than helping her.

Clinton's "fairy tale" remarks were a moment of desperation & widely criticized as a pretty ugly moment for him. I haven't seen where the Obama campaign has really misrepresented them. It was not a good moment for BC.

I also think the Clintons are making race a subtle, unspoken issue by focusing on electability. I'm not the only one.

I'm not saying Obama isn't playing hardball also, and I'm sure he is guilty of exaggerating & misrepresenting some things. I started this thread because I've basically had it with BC. Frankly, I think he's probably hurting Hillary more than helping her.

Well, I viewed that very differently, but I don’t have a horse in this race, so, I’m not going to argue about it with you Onceler. :)

Back