Bill: "We Just Have to Slow Down Our Economy" to Fight Global Warming

Lorax you don't have any info on any alt energy project that's way cheaper than oil, nice platitude but you can't back it up.

He said they have the POTENTIAL to be less expensive than oil IF you invest in them on a large scale. He is 100% correct. Yes, they are more expensive NOW... which is why the alt energy companies are working so hard to make their products more economically viable. They are not there yet, but they will get there.

Take a look at one that you follow (if I remember correctly) STP (or it might have been SPWR). Tell me they are not improving each year.

Do any other country prohibit drilling of billions of barrells. If they open anwar and other area's you could see crude tumble.

He is accurate that fighting global warming will slow down the economy. You just won't find many people who support the fight against global warming willing to come out and say that publicly.
I'm not sure it would slow the economy. The invention, installation, renovation towards these goals might well grow an entire new industrial segment.

WHAT!!!! we had alt energy investment in the 70's and it evaporated with the wash of oil. If you don't think it would happen again with $30 oil then you need to think deeper.

He did say potential, but it's unproven as of yet. So the return is unproven until it's achieved. I like spwr and they are achieving great cost reduction.
check their chart though. Once they get the P/E into the hundreds I'm out.

He did say potential, but it's unproven as of yet. So the return is unproven until it's achieved. I like spwr and they are achieving great cost reduction.
check their chart though. Once they get the P/E into the hundreds I'm out.

Their forward PE is 21

WHAT!!!! we had alt energy investment in the 70's and it evaporated with the wash of oil. If you don't think it would happen again with $30 oil then you need to think deeper.

The only time you will ever see oil below $50 again is when alt energy becomes more economically viable.

Solar is getting closer each year. Fuel cells are no functional to put in cars.... we just have to get them more econmical now. Which is generally 3-5 years after implementation.

Shell already distributes hydrogen fuel for commercial use. They (among others) are looking at ways to build up the hydrogen fuel infrastructure (again probably 5 years before close on this). The Honda Clarity will fuel (forgive the pun) the desire to push towards cleaner car emissions.

Alt energy won't make up for the growth in demand for the next decade much less displace any oil.
I think there's far more chance of over production driving down the price than alt energy, I'm a huge supporter. That said what is it like 1% of energy use now.

Alt energy won't make up for the growth in demand for the next decade much less displace any oil.
I think there's far more chance of over production driving down the price than alt energy, I'm a huge supporter. That said what is it like 1% of energy use now.

I've got no illusions about it, but I think we aren't moving forward on it as we should be able to. By mid-century (granted, a long way away), we will likely be forced to transition; I'd prefer to see us prepared for that time.

We're not a country of "can't." There ARE forces holding this back right now, but we have the ingenuity & the raw ideas to make alternatives much more viable & affordable.

I totally agree with doing it regardless of profit. But the dems need to make it a strong part of the platform and fund it. Treat it like Kennedy's going to the moon, do it because it is hard. Boo yahh!!!

I totally agree with doing it regardless of profit. But the dems need to make it a strong part of the platform and fund it. Treat it like Kennedy's going to the moon, do it because it is hard. Boo yahh!!!
100% agree.

Back