Blackmail in Singapore

I just read about them and everything they do pisses me off. "Authoritarian" isn't the correct word for it. I'd say it's fascist. I can't believe we even trade with these people.

WM, this thread is just plain wierd. What's up with the obsession with singapore? I already knew they were authoritarian.

It's something that will really only make sense to libertarians. A nation purporting to be a democracy, while actually treating them as slaves, and destroying all of their individual freedoms. What pissed me off was that they executed people found with marijuania, an utterly harmless drug. And they also label anyone opposing the government with libel and destroy all of their financial assets. I could understand this if it were purporting to be a fascist dictatorship like Iraq. But it's an insult to democracy for them to call themselves one.

Do you understand, now? There's few nations in the world that'll piss a libertarian off more than Singapore.

Also to be of note is that they execute far more people per capita than anywhere in the globe, even in the places the common US person labels as fascist. They execute five times more people per capita than Saudi Arabia, and Saudi Arabia is second in executions per capita.

Oh, okay. I get it.

Yeah, everytime I ask Libertarians to cite one single example on the entire planet, of where a "libertarian" system actually works in real life, they usually scratch their heads and run away.

Some of them try to float singapore. But, when I point out that singapore is hardly a good example of a good country - what with its authoritarism and all - those LPers usually run away too. ;)

Oh, okay. I get it.

Yeah, everytime I ask Libertarians to cite one single example on the entire planet, of where a "libertarian" system actually works in real life, they usually scratch their heads and run away.

Some of them try to float singapore. But, when I point out that singapore is hardly a good example of a good country - what with its authoritarism and all - those LPers usually run away too. ;)

LOL, I've had numerous times myself whenever I've chastised people for saying that Singapore is libertarian. I mean, it's definitely not the worst nation in the world to live. But government is EVERYWHERE. It's, if anything, anti-libertarian. Also, it's political system would piss any libertarian off if he knew about it. I guess I just get so pissed because everyone claims it's so goddam libertarian, while it's hardly better than saudi arabia.

It would seem weird to the normal person, however, my sentiments. I read about the nation on wikipedia and everything they did just made my goddam blood boil. I can't really describe it. But I'm not really a "Libertarian", anyway. Sorry for the confusion.

Turns out their execution rate per a capita is 15 times higher than China. Gee, I never thought I'd be looking at China in such a positive light, but they're a goddam nation of progress compared to this regressive backwater.

They also have far less people. ;)

"I must admit I don't understand this one. 75 percent of Singaporeans don't participate, then how the hell do the remaining 25 percent manage to put SG at the top spot??"

Only the top 25% ever actually take the test and are counted in the rankings.

I see.

Well, you guys probably understand enough. Sometimes I just find stuff like this happening in the world and it just saddens me how few people in the world are actually free. It would be a great day if they could see what it was like one day to type in "Theonion.com" in their computer and get a terrific, funny newspaper, instead of a white page displaying "This page is censored by the government of (insert Eastern nation here)"

Well, you guys probably understand enough. Sometimes I just find stuff like this happening in the world and it just saddens me how few people in the world are actually free. It would be a great day if they could see what it was like one day to type in "Theonion.com" in their computer and get a terrific, funny newspaper, instead of a white page displaying "This page is censored by the government of (insert Eastern nation here)"

Actually the censoring thing is blown way out of proportion. I used to live in China, and most pages loaded just fine. Except for some. . . but there was NEVER any "censored by the Chinese government" sign at ALL!! The page just didnt load, that's all that happened.

Oh, and wrt one of your earlier comments, does Singapore purport itself to be a democracy? I've always thought it said it was a monarchy. . .

Back