Blame Congress for Inflation

Topspin

Verified User
1. They severly limit the supply of Oil, not in question whatsoever.
2. They put billons of corn dollars into ethonal, causing huge food inflation. Not in question whatsoever.
3. They overspend alll time high tax reciepts driving the dollar down, not in question.:readit:

1. They severly limit the supply of Oil, not in question whatsoever.
2. They put billons of corn dollars into ethonal, causing huge food inflation. Not in question whatsoever.
3. They overspend alll time high tax reciepts driving the dollar down, not in question.:readit:

None of this has anything to do with inflation. Inflation is a strictly monetary phenomenon. These are high prices cause by market conditions.

Well. I guess the overspending is inflationary.

You're a moron. This country produces a surplus of corn already. The idea that it causes "huge food inflation" is absurd.

Show me something to prove me wrong or shut it.

You're a moron. This country produces a surplus of corn already. The idea that it causes "huge food inflation" is absurd.

Show me something to prove me wrong or shut it.
it's not inflation per se, but the demand for crops for ethanol does drive up prices.

it's not inflation per se, but the demand for crops for ethanol does drive up prices.

It allows farmers to sell their surplus corn for more than pennies. It doesn't drive up the cost of canned corn, corn on the cob, corn starch, etc. Food prices are not going up because of ethanol.

floods of the midwest do though.

Falling dollar, world insecurity and allowing speculation to run the price is why the price is so high for us.

Pretty much caused by the republican congress and Bush for the most part.

Make your own case, idiotic snot sack. Congress keeping oil out of play is not inflation. Neither is corn being diverted for ethanol.

1) If you limit supply of a commodity (oil), that causes inflationary pressures on said commodity

2) Likewise, if you increase demand of a commodity(grain), you create inflationary pressure.

It allows farmers to sell their surplus corn for more than pennies. It doesn't drive up the cost of canned corn, corn on the cob, corn starch, etc. Food prices are not going up because of ethanol.

That is quite idiotic. There may be a surplus of corn/grain in the US (hopefully there always will be) but there is a SHORTAGE of grain for the world as a whole. Grain prices are set on worldwide supply vs. demand, not simply US supply vs. demand.

By using 15% of our grain for ethanol we are most certainly driving up the price of grain by using it for fuel. This accounts for a portion of the increase. The falling dollar accounts for a big chunk as well.

As Desh mentioned, weather can also play a factor... in this case the floods caused damage to crops and thus there will now be even less grain which is another reason we are seeing grain prices spike right now.

floods of the midwest do though.

Falling dollar, world insecurity and allowing speculation to run the price is why the price is so high for us.

Pretty much caused by the republican congress and Bush for the most part.

World insecurity has little to do with grain prices. The falling dollar does and is a big factor. Speculation can drive it up or down... it is a matter of future expectations of supply and demand. If we ban the use of grain for fuel, speculation will drive the price of grains back down as world supply will once again outpace demand.

No. It could just be higher demand. You don't understand inflation.

Inflation is not a complex concept you twit. Inflation is a rise in price. Period.

There are many things that can cause a rise in price. Higher demand is one of them. Lower supply is another. Changes in underlying currencies is a third.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inflation
1. Economics. a persistent, substantial rise in the general level of prices related to an increase in the volume of money and resulting in the loss of value of currency

Try using your own link moron. The above (as I mentioned) can indeed be a cause of inflation. But how many of those definitions state something to the effect of "general increase in prices"???

Thanks again for the laugh.

Back