Bloombergs gonna run folks. how does that change things

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
Forbes expects third-party bid by Bloomberg

"I think it would be highly unlikely that he wouldn't run," former Republican presidential candidate and media magnate Steve Forbes said today of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Forbes, who's supporting the presidential bid of Republican (and former New York mayor) Rudy Giuliani, said on CNN's Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer that he's convinced that Bloomberg will mount an independent run for the White House.

"I've thought, for a long time, he's itching to do it," Forbes said, according to a transcript sent to us by CNN. "He may have blown hot and cold on it, short-term. But he's itching to do it. And so he can wait. He's got the resources to wait until after February 5th, see who the two party nominees are.

"But unless something extraordinary happens, I expect him in the race."

This morning, The Washington Post wrote that Bloomberg:

"A potential independent candidate for president, has scheduled a meeting next week with a dozen leading Democrats and Republicans, who will join him in challenging the major-party contenders to spell out their plans for forming a 'government of national unity' to end the gridlock in Washington.

"Those who will be at the Jan. 7 session at the University of Oklahoma say that if the likely nominees of the two parties do not pledge to 'go beyond tokenism' in building an administration that seeks national consensus, they will be prepared to back Bloomberg or someone else in a third-party campaign for president."

Bloomberg, a billionaire, was a Democrat before he ran as a Republican in the 2001 mayoral race. This year, he switched again -- becoming an independent. He has said he has no plans to run for the White House, but has not definitively ruled out such an effort.

This isn't official, though.

I will vote for Bloomberg if he runs and the race isn't tight between the Democrat and Republican in my state. Or, if Bloomberg pulls out ahead (fat chance!). I always vote strategically.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009575303

Paul Icamina - AHN News Writer

Washington, D.C. (AHN) - America is expected to have a third political party candidate running for the nation's presidency. A third party that pledges a "government of national unity" is expected to be formed on Jan. 7 when leading Democrats and Republicans meet with New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, a potential independent candidate for president.

The participants at the meeting at the University of Oklahoma are expected to back Bloomberg in a third-party campaign for president, the Washington Post reported.

Bloomberg, a former Democrat who was elected mayor of New York as a Republican, left the GOP last summer to become an independent. The mayor is a billionaire who could self-finance a candidacy.

Conveners include prominent Democrats such as former senators Sam Nunn (GA), Charles S. Robb (VA) and David L. Boren (OK) and former presidential candidate Gary Hart.

Republican organizers include Sen. Chuck Hagel (NE), former senator John Danforth (MO), former New Jersey governor Christine Todd Whitman and former party chairman Bill Brock, the host at the university where he is president

The one-day affair will also be attended by William S. Cohen, a former Republican senator from Maine and defense secretary in the Clinton administration; Alan Dixon, a former Democratic senator from Illinois; Bob Graham, a former Democratic senator from Florida; Jim Leach, a former Republican congressman from Iowa; Susan Eisenhower, a political consultant and granddaughter of former president Dwight D. Eisenhower; David Abshire, president of the Center for the Study of the Presidency; and Edward Perkins, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Bloomberg is meeting with a bunch of moderate Dems and Pubs on the seventh.

Can you say "Cabinet"?

This means that the 'pubs have lost even with the best of candidates as Bloomberg will take more votes from them than the Democrats, who are intent on "no more Bush"...

This means that the 'pubs have lost even with the best of candidates as Bloomberg will take more votes from them than the Democrats, who are intent on "no more Bush"...

im not so sure about that. hes pro immigration isnt he? hes left on the issues.

Last edited:
i still dont think he will take more votes from pubs then dems. if anything i think he may have a very viable chance of pulling from both and winning.

Damo you sound glum about this. This could be a moderate, non evangelical party that would be a true third party alternative to the two wings of the american tory party

i still dont think he will take more votes from pubs then dems. if anything i think he may have a very viable chance of pulling from both and winning.
I doubt it. However, unlike Ross Perot he won't suddenly say that the GOP was going to send frogs to his daughter's wedding and quit then jump back in when there is absolutely no more chance of a win.

The polls that I have seen that have included Bloomberg indicate that he would pull minor support from both parties but more from the Republicans than Democrats, which is to be expected considering he was a Republican.

My sense is that Bloomberg tends to get support from centrist Republicans that are sick and tired of the disaster that the national GOP has become under Bush's stewardship but that don't necessarily want to vote for a Democrat.

The polls that I have seen that have included Bloomberg indicate that he would pull minor support from both parties but more from the Republicans than Democrats, which is to be expected considering he was a Republican.

My sense is that Bloomberg tends to get support from centrist Republicans that are sick and tired of the disaster that the national GOP has become under Bush's stewardship but that don't necessarily want to vote for a Democrat.
As I said. Like Ross Perot. The gain goes to the Ds on this one. It will pretty much ensure Hillary the Presidency.

Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Clinton...

Our royal families are pretty much secured now.

If Perot wouldn't have pulled out we might have had a different 42.

Take Bloomberg, add a 500 million dollar advertising campaign, and you have a household name. Right now he polls so low because nobody knows about him.

And unlike most of the candidates and Perot, Bloomberg has executive experience. Bloomberg is a stronger candidate than Perot ever was.

Back