Bob Barr is a Douchebag

Timshel

Nolan opposed him in convention, but he is too kind. I would not suggest voting for him. It accomplishes nothing.

I did not think the party could do much worse than Badnarik. But I think a lot of the blame for this lies with those who started a reform to moderate the party but have not done much to follow through.

http://www.nolanchart.com/article4805.html

Well wtf do you expect when it requires crazy majorities and procedures to make any changes to the platform.

I don't blame just the LRC for Barr. I blame everyone who voted for him. The man is clearly not a libertarian and simply wants a platform to promote his own name.

I thought it would be hard for the LP to run a candidate that would make me vote for one of the two parties, but they managed to do it.

[ame="http://www.theonion.com/content/video/old_grizzled_third_party"]Old, Grizzled Third-Party Candidate May Steal Support From McCain | The Onion - America's Finest News Source@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.theonion.com/content/xml/85698/video@@AMEPARAM@@85698[/ame]

Whenever we said 'moderate the libertarian party', we never meant sell completely the fuck out. Rule no. 1 - don't run someone just because they're a celebrity. Think about the Green party. They ran some random left wing dude who was most known for consumer protection laws as a Green candidate. No one voted for the Green party, they voted for nader, and as soon as he was gone they were gone too. Now the Green party is scrambling with a couple of town council seats throughout the nation. Same thing with the Reform party - except they're dead.

The Libertarian party should only run peons. They should get people to vote for Libertarianism, whatever strand it may be, and not personalities. Bob Barr is not a strand of Libertarianism. Running someone who says "Hey guys, maybe we shouldn't abolish the government" would be moderating, not running a religious right wing lunatic.

Whenever we said 'moderate the libertarian party', we never meant sell completely the fuck out. Rule no. 1 - don't run someone just because they're a celebrity. Think about the Green party. They ran some random left wing dude who was most known for consumer protection laws as a Green candidate. No one voted for the Green party, they voted for nader, and as soon as he was gone they were gone too. Now the Green party is scrambling with a couple of town council seats throughout the nation. Same thing with the Reform party - except they're dead.

The Libertarian party should only run peons. They should get people to vote for Libertarianism, whatever strand it may be, and not personalities. Bob Barr is not a strand of Libertarianism. Running someone who says "Hey guys, maybe we shouldn't abolish the government" would be moderating, not running a religious right wing lunatic.

I am not talking about those who only talked about moderating. I am talking about those who begun the process and don't seem to have followed through.

I don't know where they were on Barr, but they drove off a lot of the purists that would never have tolerated him. Why didn't they put someone up against him? I don't know why Milsted himself did not run.

Nolan opposed him in convention, but he is too kind. I would not suggest voting for him. It accomplishes nothing.

I did not think the party could do much worse than Badnarik. But I think a lot of the blame for this lies with those who started a reform to moderate the party but have not done much to follow through.

I considered voting for Barr, until it became apparent to me that he is a complete asshole.

Barr is the reason I have lost faith in the Libertarian Party.

He is certainly NOT a libertarian.

Why they selected a religious righty who is totally unreformed is beyond me.

I couldn't vote Libertarian this election either. Barr would be a 'waste of a vote', because not only would my vote be going to a nobody, but that nobody is a douchebag. I met Badnarik, and he is a little insane, but Barr is just a total cock. As far as the blaming reformers for this selection, umm, well, the purists were just too freaking nuts, change had to be made. C'mon, not taking your wife to the hospital when she is in labor cause you don't want your child to be 'tagged by the government'? Bitching to me about opening an account for the county LP with the bank, and how the government can track that. Seriously.. the purists were just happy sitting there with nothing, and just loved to bitch. Doesn't mean we needed to go with someone like Barr, but shit or get off the pot.

I am not arguing against the reform. But if you are going to start it, drive off a lot of party members, like Knapp and those that defected to form the Boston Tea Party, then you need to make sure you are prepared to finish the reforms and that those reforms do not allow for the party to be hijacked by those that are not very libertarian. This was the argument against the Reform Caucus and it has proven accurate.

I am not arguing against the reform. But if you are going to start it, drive off a lot of party members, like Knapp and those that defected to form the Boston Tea Party, then you need to make sure you are prepared to finish the reforms and that those reforms do not allow for the party to be hijacked by those that are not very libertarian. This was the argument against the Reform Caucus and it has proven accurate.

Stringy, you have to realize, the whole LP party is lazy. From the reformers to the purists. Don't get me wrong about what I mean by lazy, but they just don't put much effort into 'gaining power'. To me the LP is just a group of guys in a Barbershop bitching about government. They'll go great lengths to describe the problems, and they love getting together to bitch, but as far as applying a solution, well, our whole philosophy is... just leave us alone, so what do you expect?

Stringy, you have to realize, the whole LP party is lazy. From the reformers to the purists. Don't get me wrong about what I mean by lazy, but they just don't put much effort into 'gaining power'. To me the LP is just a group of guys in a Barbershop bitching about government. They'll go great lengths to describe the problems, and they love getting together to bitch, but as far as applying a solution, well, our whole philosophy is... just leave us alone, so what do you expect?

Well, then the reformers should have been lazy from the start.

I am not so sure that your descriptions are not true of any party's activists. My experience says the other parties are little different.

The LP faces overwhelming hurdles and it is not likely that they will ever gain any power regardless of what positions they take or who they nominate. I would not counsel anyone to put much effort/money into the LP unless the actions alone bring you some satisfaction or value.

The Libertarian Party is the most successful third party we have.

Nationwide, there are more elected officials from the LP than from all the other third parties combined.

Telling people that they are wasting their time and unless they vote for one of the Big Two (which are responsible for the mess) they are wasting their time and votes is the biggest reason those bloated parties are still in control.

The Libertarian Party is the most successful third party we have.

Nationwide, there are more elected officials from the LP than from all the other third parties combined.

Telling people that they are wasting their time and unless they vote for one of the Big Two (which are responsible for the mess) they are wasting their time and votes is the biggest reason those bloated parties are still in control.
It isn't wasting your time to vote for the Libertarian Party, it is worthless to vote for a recycled religious right republican hiding under the mantle of Libertarian Party.

Solitary, if that is meant for me, I am not telling anyone they are wasting their time or vote. I am just saying you should not have irrational expectations about what your activism or vote will accomplish. More than likely it will have no significant impact. To avoid burnout you need to find satisfaction in the actions themselves instead of focusing only on a result that may never come.

Yes, and virtually all of them are non-partisan, meaning they were elected as unaffiliated candidates who simply happen to be members of the Libertarian Party.

Back