Books that matter: Analects of Confucius

I believe Confucius did exist and that most of his philosophy was about family life and civilization. Most of his teachings were written years after his death. Most of his teachings came from common sense.

For example, I believe he was the author of the number 1 rule in the world- HIS GOLDEN RULE- "Do not impose on others what you do not wish for yourself."
I just ran across the section of the Annalects which has Confucious' version of the golden rule.

Annalects 15.23: Zigong asked "Is there one single word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "Perhaps the word 'reciprocity' will do. Do not do unto others what you would not want others to do unto you."

I just ran across the section of the Annalects which has Confucious' version of the golden rule.

Annalects 15.23: Zigong asked "Is there one single word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "Perhaps the word 'reciprocity' will do. Do not do unto others what you would not want others to do unto you."

Yes, it was worded a little differently, than the modern adage.

But the first known version of the Golden rule is the one you spoke of!

Thanks!

Back