Boy punished by school for wearing T-shirt with picture of gun

Yep cause that is what free speech is all about. Only free so long as NO ONE can be offended by it. You guys are equating wearing the shirt with actually running around with a gun going "be vewy qwiet. I'm hunting awabs". It is a Tee Shirt. And the school itself said it was because there was a gun on it. Not because it said he was a terrorist hunter.

This really has nothing to do with free speech at all. The school has a dress code, and it's pretty clear why they wouldn't want kids wearing around shirts with weapons and drugs on them.

WOW .. what incredible idiocy.

Children with pictures of guns on their clothing should be protected "free speech" ??????

ASININE to the nth degree.

If they do it in a private setting, yes. Or even a normal public setting. In a school setting, it's not about free speech. If you came into my house with that shirt I'd tell your racist, bigoted ass to get the fuck out too. A school isn't exactly like that, but it isn't like walking around in a mall either.

Yep cause that is what free speech is all about. Only free so long as NO ONE can be offended by it. You guys are equating wearing the shirt with actually running around with a gun going "be vewy qwiet. I'm hunting awabs". It is a Tee Shirt. And the school itself said it was because there was a gun on it. Not because it said he was a terrorist hunter.

Sorry, but I don't let misdirected "principle" interfere with what is best for society.

Children IN SCHOOL should not be subjected to images of weapons of murder .. PARTICULARLY given the astronomical incidents of murder IN SCHOOLS .. PARTICULARLY given that THEY ARE CHILDREN and do not need to be influenced by any images of guns as a way to solve they're problems.

Please tell me why wearing a tee shirt with a gun on it is so important TO THIS CHILD .. and would it be OK for him to wear that shirt to church? Should the right to glorify guns also be forced on churches?

If they do it in a private setting, yes. Or even a normal public setting. In a school setting, it's not about free speech. If you came into my house with that shirt I'd tell your racist, bigoted ass to get the fuck out too. A school isn't exactly like that, but it isn't like walking around in a mall either.

DITTO

Sorry guys. I have to side with Desh on this issue. The shirt would be inflamatory to anyone of middle-eastern descent. I have seen some such shirts and signs and usually there is a picture of a guy with a turban on it somewhere. Even if they removed the picture of the guy the wording is exactly the same and to pretend that it is not directed at middle eastern people is to ignore reality.

I would not have given the kid detention or punished him at all though....that is if he was cooperative when I told him to change shirts. If he was guilty of insubordination at that point then it is another story.

He refused to turn it inside out, which is what the case is about.

It would be quite a stretch to say that schools couldn't limit what the children wore to school. That would even make uniforms illegal.

New low huh

Here is what the shirt said.

The shirt bears the image of a military sidearm and on the front pocket says "Volunteer Homeland Security." On the back, over another image of the weapon, are the words "Special issue Resident Lifetime License _ United States Terrorist Hunting Permit _ Permit No. 91101 _ Gun Owner _ No Bag Limit."

It is advocating shooting people you think are terrorists because 911 gives him the right to do so.

Its is advocating that a 12 year old has the right to shoot on sight anyone he deems a terrorist.
Are you really so fucking sick you cant see why other kids would feel unsafe arround such bullshit?

Kids shoot up schools every fucking day anymore you fool.

please tell me what is sick about somebody wanting to defend their country from someone else who wants to do it harm?

The shirt says that this kid has the right to shoot people he sees as terrorists because of 911.

Kids dont need to be wearing shirts that say they are going to shoot anyone to school.

Sorry, but I don't let misdirected "principle" interfere with what is best for society.

Children IN SCHOOL should not be subjected to images of weapons of murder .. PARTICULARLY given the astronomical incidents of murder IN SCHOOLS .. PARTICULARLY given that THEY ARE CHILDREN and do not need to be influenced by any images of guns as a way to solve they're problems.

Please tell me why wearing a tee shirt with a gun on it is so important TO THIS CHILD .. and would it be OK for him to wear that shirt to church? Should the right to glorify guns also be forced on churches?

Then we should of course ban all shirts bearing the name or emblem of gansta rappers too right?

:)

Yup, the zero-tolerance folks have bagged another hardened criminal. Gee, I feel safer already.

Will these liberals EVER get tired of abusing power and violating people's rights in pursuit of their "perfect society", where nobody has to be scared by the guns liberals have tried to make us so scared of?

Probably the longest-lasting result of this incident: This boy will have complete contempt for authority, for many years to come. The saddest part is, he'll be right.

-----------------------------

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2008/03/10/boy_punished_for_t-shirt_with_gun_image

Boy Punished for T-Shirt With Gun Image

Monday, March 10, 2008

The family of a middle school student who was given detention for wearing a T-shirt bearing the image of a gun has filed a federal freedom of speech lawsuit against the school district.

Donald Miller III, 14, went to Penn Manor High School in December wearing a T-shirt he said was intended to honor his uncle, a U.S. Army soldier fighting in Iraq.

The shirt bears the image of a military sidearm and on the front pocket says "Volunteer Homeland Security." On the back, over another image of the weapon, are the words "Special issue Resident Lifetime License _ United States Terrorist Hunting Permit _ Permit No. 91101 _ Gun Owner _ No Bag Limit."

Officials at the Millersville school told him to turn his shirt inside out. When Miller refused, he got two days of detention.

His parents, Donald and Tina Miller of Holtwood, have accused the Penn Manor School District in a lawsuit of violating their son's First Amendment rights with a "vague Orwellian policy" that stifles both patriotism and free speech.

But an attorney for the school district said school must create a safe environment for students in the post-Columbine era, and bringing even the image of a gun to school violates the district's policy.

"There's a much higher level of sensitivity these days," Penn Manor attorney Kevin French said.

Zero tolerance sounds like a conservative law and order idea to me.

Back