Bumper Sticker Patriotism

Cancel7

Banned
I think that this says it all.

Wounds You Can’t See
By BOB HERBERT
The U.S. has been at war for years now, but ordinary Americans have never been asked to step up and make the kind of sacrifices that wars have historically required.

There is no draft. There are no shortages of food, consumer items or gasoline. We’re not even paying for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. That multitrillion-dollar obligation has been shoved off to future generations. Incredibly, taxes have been lowered, not raised, since the wars began.

On the home front, this is as pleasant a wartime environment as one could imagine.

That’s actually an added danger for the young men and women who have volunteered to fight in those far-off lands. It’s too easy for the larger society to put them out of sight and out of mind. I asked a college student in Bridgeport, Conn., the other night if she or her friends ever talked about the war in Iraq. She said no.

Among the least-noted aspects of these two seemingly endless wars is the psychological toll they are taking on those who have volunteered to fight them. Increasingly, they are being medicated on the battlefield, and many thousands are returning with brain damage and psychological wounds that cause tremendous suffering and have the potential to alter their lives forever.

A recent article that I thought would have gotten much more attention was the cover piece in Time magazine, “The Military’s Secret Weapon,” which disclosed that “for the first time in history, a sizable and growing number of U.S. combat troops are taking daily doses of antidepressants to calm nerves strained by repeated and lengthy tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.”

Soldiers and marines are being sent into the war zones again and again because the pool of young people willing to join up and fight is so small. In addition to the obvious physical danger, repeated tours in combat are blueprints for psychological disaster.

A study by the RAND Corporation found that the psychological toll of deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan may in fact be “disproportionately high compared to the physical injuries of combat.”

Post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injuries, major depression and suicide are exacting a fearful price from combat soldiers and marines. These matters are not even being talked about enough, much less dealt with adequately.

Never before has such a strain been placed on the all-volunteer military. As the RAND study noted:

“Not only is a higher proportion of the armed forces being deployed, but deployments have been longer, redeployment to combat has been common, and breaks between deployments have been infrequent.”

While most service members readjust to civilian life successfully after combat, the number who come home in some kind of psychological trouble is huge. The study found that approximately 300,000 individuals who served in Iraq or Afghanistan are currently suffering from P.T.S.D. or depression, and that 320,000 have most likely experienced a traumatic brain injury.

These wounds, as the title of the report points out, are often the “Invisible Wounds of War.” They’re as real as a bullet or a shrapnel wound, but they’re not always as obvious. And for a variety of reasons, including the fear that exposure may harm their careers, many of these psychologically wounded warriors do not seek mental-health treatment.

Studies have shown that fewer than half of the G.I.’s with psychological wounds of one sort or another are receiving treatment. And according to the RAND study, “Even when individuals receive care, too few receive quality care.”

Support the troops? Too often that’s an empty slogan. Flag waving and bumper-sticker patriotism don’t add up to much when there are many thousands of G.I.’s in need of first-class care who are not getting it.

“This should be a top issue in the presidential race, and it should be a top issue in the news,” said Paul Rieckhoff, executive director of the advocacy group Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. “When you come home from Iraq, you feel like you’re lost in the wilderness sometimes. You feel like you don’t fit in.”

Add to that burden the mental torture of depression or P.T.S.D. or the debilitating effects of traumatic brain injury, and you have the stuff that leads to alcoholism, drug abuse, family dissolution, homelessness, trouble with the law and sometimes suicide.

“The hardest part is getting the veterans in,” said Mr. Rieckhoff. “We have to make it much easier for them to access mental health services.”

However one feels about the nation’s war policies, we have an ironclad obligation to look out for the short- and long-term needs of the troops we send off to combat. In the absence of any general call for sacrifice, it’s the least we can do.

Right now we’re not even doing that.

Full column: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/opinion/24herbert.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

“The hardest part is getting the veterans in,” said Mr. Rieckhoff. “We have to make it much easier for them to access mental health services.”

Services to assist vets are everywhere. What do you plan on doing? Committing them all to mental institutions. Soldiers of today have more access to help than any other time in history.

Excellent topic, Darla.

The effects of war on our troops has long been ignored by our government. And the care available at VA hospitals has been both inadequate and loaded with red-tape.

PTSD is a debilitating disorder. Without proper care the vets tend to self-medicate, using alcohol and drugs. The longer it goes untreated the worse the symptoms can be.

And the VA hospitals are chronically under-funded, understaffed, and unable (or unwilling) to provide decent care.

I suspect that her only "concern" for our military personnel is to post every negative story she can find in an effort to nullify their sacrifices.

A politically-motivated modern Tokyo Rose.

Services to assist vets are everywhere. What do you plan on doing? Committing them all to mental institutions. Soldiers of today have more access to help than any other time in history.

Yeah more access, but more need care too. The VA has not kept pace with the needs.
Kinda like the chant of More millionaires than ever before :clink:

I suspect that her only "concern" for our military personnel is to post every negative story she can find in an effort to nullify their sacrifices.

Are you saying that her post is inaccurate? Or are you saying that she posted accurate info but the reason she posted it is because she wishes to malign the people who sent the soldiers into this mess?

Given the situation these soldiers have been put into, I don't think Darla's motivations are the problem.

And more power to you for doing so.

But the issue is still a very valid one. The number of people being deployed for longer, being redeployed, and having shorter and fewer breaks is growing.

The fact that we have to give antidepressants to soldiers to keep them "battle ready" is an abomination.

Darla's political views aside, this problem is growing. And ignoring it while pointing to political motivations is not going to help.

The FACT is that our VA is woefully understaffed in the mental issues department for the demand they have.

Bush even put in his budget a year or so ago to close many of the "storefront" VA mental health operations.

Congress reversed it luckailly. But the VA is still way understaffed for the ones with mental issues.

Excellent topic, Darla.

The effects of war on our troops has long been ignored by our government. And the care available at VA hospitals has been both inadequate and loaded with red-tape.

PTSD is a debilitating disorder. Without proper care the vets tend to self-medicate, using alcohol and drugs. The longer it goes untreated the worse the symptoms can be.

And the VA hospitals are chronically under-funded, understaffed, and unable (or unwilling) to provide decent care.

I agree with all of this, but I also think that the fact that so many of our soldiers are on anti-depressants is indicative of how these repeat tours are just crushing them. I don’t think human beings were made for that kind of intense stress, mentally, physically and emotionally, for repeated long periods of time. I think that we are in fact, outright destroying these young people. I think that it’s a terrible sin.

As far as anyone questioning my “motives” solitary, I don’t address that. I’m too used to it, it’s too pointless, and I personally strongly and deeply believe it is pure projection.

To attack the motives of the poster vs addressing the issues under discussion is just a sign of no valid argument on their part.

Ending your stupidity won't just happen naturally. It isn't something where you're just going to wake up one day and not be stupid.

You have to make a conscious decision, and stick to it. You have to say, "Today, I will not be stupid," and restrain yourself from posting stupid responses like this one.

It won't be easy at first, but there is an old saying in the field, "fake it 'til you make it." One post at a time; you can do it.

So you think that the fact that soldiers are sent Repeatedly into a combat situation, doing 2 and more tours is not a problem? And that mentioning that this administration, by unnecessarily puting them in harms way, should not be called to the carpet for it. What are you the last person on earth that doesn't understand that criticizing the Commander in Chief for this sensless clusterfuckery does not equate to criticizing the soldiers that carry out orders whether well thought out or not and they are the ones that suffer when they aren't thought out? Are you the last rightwing armchair Ranger that thinks that the President could NEVER send us to a bad war and be the one responsible for the deaths, dismemberments and PTSD our men and women have suffered? Occasionally you should take your head out of Georgie boys ass and get some oxygen. Methane will kill brain cells.

Last time I checked, our military was all-volunteer, despite Charley Rangel.

The fact that you've seemingly appointed yourselves to "speak for" people I suspect you deride and despise as "murderers" and "rapists" strikes me as ironic

Last time I checked, our military was all-volunteer, despite Charley Rangel.

The fact that you've seemingly appointed yourselves to "speak for" people I suspect you deride and despise as "murderers" and "rapists" strikes me as ironic

Its funny, those soldiers who DO commit atrocities should not be critisized, the soldiers who need help should not be spoken of, and the commander-in-chief should not be mentioned by anyone except conservative republicans.

Nice concept you have there.

Look, there are some individuals over there who have committed some brutal and horrible acts. Thinking about what I just read about them medicating the soldiers, there may be some of those crimes that were simply mentally ill soldiers acting out.

The fact that our military is medicating soldiers to keep them online is truly sad. Yes, they volunteered for service in the armed forces.

So we should just ignore any damage done to them? Thats what I call supporting the troops.

My apologies.

I thought your idea of supporting the troops meant telling the world that "the war is lost", calling them murderers, baby-killers, thugs, and/or rapists, while proclaiming that they fight and die for Haliburton, oil, Bush (or nothing), while maintaining a mass propaganda campaign highlighting every flaw in America while imputing 'freedom fighter' status to their killers, the terrorists.

I can't imagine where I got those ideas.

My apologies.

I thought your idea of supporting the troops meant telling the world that "the war is lost", calling them murderers, baby-killers, thugs, and/or rapists, while proclaiming that they fight and die for Haliburton, oil, Bush (or nothing), while maintaining a mass propaganda campaign highlighting every flaw in America while imputing 'freedom fighter' status to their killers, the terrorists.

I see you didn't take my advice on the "stupid" thing.

Ah,well - tomorrow's a new day. Remember...I'm only trying to help...

My apologies.

Now you see, you decide what everyone else thinks and post as if you are correct.

Not exactly the smartest way to do things. No, I have never called the soldiers murderers, baby-killers, thugs or racists. I have never said that they fight & die for halliburton, oil or Bush. I have never maintained any sort of propaganda campaign.

In fact, both sides have done that. One has pointed out all the flaws while ignoring the good, and the other has tried to point out more good than was actually done and has ignored any of the bad. Both methods are counterproductive and dangerous.

But the soldiers that committed atrocities should be tried accordingly.

And the idea that we are in Iraq for some noble cause is a joke. It is just more meddling and more trying to decide who runs all the countries we need something from.

I am amazed that you refuse to critisize this administration and the military for having our soldiers on the line so much that they have to be medicated to perform. I am amazed that you can admonish anyone for their views and still defend what is happening to those young men & women who were brave & valiant enough to volunteer to serve.

But I guess all your patriotism is saved for political hacks.

I’m thinking of writing a story. It will be about this woman who posts on a message board and becomes part of a community. One day, an insipid little worm came along and the woman becomes filled with hate for him and rages to herself daily at a world which would allow this little puke to live, while so many others die, some painfully, and some very young.

So, she seduces a young poster, in a modern version of Mrs. Roberson, and screws him in ways he’ll still be smiling about when he’s 90…within weeks he is willing to do anything to keep access.

That’s when she plants the idea of the murder…

I think it could sell, what do you all think?

Back