Bush Shooting Blanks?

You consider yourself a sociallly progressive, libertarian conservative, right?

So, instead of running interference for bush, don't take our word for it. Take the word of one of the most respected and prominent libertarian conservatives in the country, Andrew Sullivan:

"The theocon right absolutely believes that contraception is just as immoral as gay sex. If they could ban it, discourage it, prevent its availability, they would. And with the appointment of Eric Keroack at HHS, we have new evidence they are." -- ANDREW SULLIVAN
Look. All I am saying and have said is that this guy doesn't make the law. It really doesn't change much at all. Honestly, you act like I was excited about the choice or something. It isn't that I like the choice, it is that I don't think he can make much of an impact.

You consider yourself a sociallly progressive, libertarian conservative, right?

So, instead of running interference for bush, don't take our word for it. Take the word of one of the most respected and prominent libertarian conservatives in the country, Andrew Sullivan:

"The theocon right absolutely believes that contraception is just as immoral as gay sex. If they could ban it, discourage it, prevent its availability, they would. And with the appointment of Eric Keroack at HHS, we have new evidence they are." -- ANDREW SULLIVAN

my ass he's a libertarian conversative.

The President has made his "principals" an issue in MY life.

Tough shit darla. You can't have it both ways, you either want to give the executive branch the power to make principles in an issue in your life (birth control, TAXES) or you can say hands off to EVERYTHING.

Look. All I am saying and have said is that this guy doesn't make the law. It really doesn't change much at all. Honestly, you act like I was excited about the choice or something. It isn't that I like the choice, it is that I don't think he can make much of an impact.
Sorry, Damo, but this time you're flat wrong. There's more to government than the law. Much more. In fact, the law frequently has little to do with it.

An administrator in an agency like this can shape policy almost at his whim. Yes, the law sets general guidelines but there is an enormous amount of leeway within them. That policy effects the lives of millions of Americans, directly and with extreme prejudice.

This misogynistic freak will hold the purse strings on access to contraception for tens of millions of women, especially poor women. The potential for harm in this appointment is truly frightening.

:mad:

You can pretend that this guy is an isolated case, if you want.

The facts say otherwise. Bush is populating the mid-level bureacracy with freaks. This isn't an isolated case. Recall all the anti-science freaks bush is appointing, who are burying the conclusions of real scientists at NASA, etc.

and ornots right. Policy is implemented by mid-level bureacrats. This guy has authority over $200 dedicated to contraception. Its easy to put cabinet level officers in place who look and act semi-normal, and who can pass the smell test.

Populating the bureacracy with freaks, is another matter, and can be very insidious and dangerous.

Tough shit darla. You can't have it both ways, you either want to give the executive branch the power to make principles in an issue in your life (birth control, TAXES) or you can say hands off to EVERYTHING.

Don't be silly Grind.

I can, and I have had it both ways...although I don't consider it as such.

Sorry, Damo, but this time you're flat wrong. There's more to government than the law. Much more. In fact, the law frequently has little to do with it.

An administrator in an agency like this can shape policy almost at his whim. Yes, the law sets general guidelines but there is an enormous amount of leeway within them. That policy effects the lives of millions of Americans, directly and with extreme prejudice.

This misogynistic freak will hold the purse strings on access to contraception for tens of millions of women, especially poor women. The potential for harm in this appointment is truly frightening.

:mad:

That's the thing. He's not going to effect me. I live in NYS and I have money to buy birth control. No one is ever going to come into NYS and take away my reproductive choices.

But low-income women will be severely affected, and these kinds of creeps do effect all women. Witness their holding up the morning after pill.

The fact remains, women in this country are not under the rule of men. Sorry. If you want it different, move to Iran.

You can pretend that this guy is an isolated case, if you want.

The facts say otherwise. Bush is populating the mid-level bureacracy with freaks. This isn't an isolated case. Recall all the anti-science freaks bush is appointing, who are burying the conclusions of real scientists at NASA, etc.

and ornots right. Policy is implemented by mid-level bureacrats. This guy has authority over $200 dedicated to contraception. Its easy to put cabinet level officers in place who look and act semi-normal, and who can pass the smell test.

Populating the bureacracy with freaks, is another matter, and can be very insidious and dangerous.
***Strawman alert***

Point to where I said this was an "isolated case".

I said that I don't believe he'll have much impact. And I don't. I think this is silly fearmongering... "See, he'll take away contraceptives!"

He won't. He won't be able to, he hasn't the power to do that.

Don't be silly Grind.

I can, and I have had it both ways...although I don't consider it as such.

They are both moral issues. They are both issues concerned with principle and .... subjective beliefs that are ended up being forced on everyone else. It is the same... it's exactly the same.

You deserve what you get when you allow such possibilities to exist.

They are both moral issues. They are both issues concerned with principle and .... subjective beliefs that are ended up being forced on everyone else. It is the same... it's exactly the same.

You deserve what you get when you allow such possibilities to exist.
All beliefs are subjective beliefs, Grind. All legal issues are moral issues at the root. Your problem is that you want absolute, definitive answers to problems that have none.

It's all about balance and consensus. There is no other moral authority but that. I know you don't like it but, no offense intended, tough.

Incorrect ornot.

I am FULLY aware that all beliefs are subjective. I argue that daily. What I want is for people to stop bitching and quit being hypocrites. Stop saying it is only the right legislating morality, when that is clearly BULLSHIT. Both sides do it and JUST as frequently.

If you are going to let government legislate morality in such a fashion, don't bitch when it comes back and bites you in the ass.

Which it SO often does.

- Grind

Incorrect ornot.

I am FULLY aware that all beliefs are subjective. I argue that daily. What I want is for people to stop bitching and quit being hypocrites. Stop saying it is only the right legislating morality, when that is clearly BULLSHIT. Both sides do it and JUST as frequently.

If you are going to let government legislate morality in such a fashion, don't bitch when it comes back and bites you in the ass.

Which it SO often does.

- Grind
LMAO! The only person around here saying that it's "only the right" legislating morality is you, doof. Getcher panties untwisted and calm down.

The point is that some legislation makes sense -- e.g. it regulates behavior that impacts people other than the actor -- and some legislation makes no sense -- e.g. it attempts to regulate behavior that only dipshits care about. Only dipshits care about who's shtupping who. Granted, there are a lot of dipshits in this country. It's just another cross to bear, however.

***Strawman alert***

Point to where I said this was an "isolated case".

I said that I don't believe he'll have much impact. And I don't. I think this is silly fearmongering... "See, he'll take away contraceptives!"

He won't. He won't be able to, he hasn't the power to do that.

One mid-level appointee isn't going to turn us into a theocracy.

Collectively Bush is appointing goose-stepping, anti-science christofascists throughout the bureacracy. From global warming, to contraception, to science, these people are influential in profound ways.

And if it weren't for progressives, and people who believe in science challenging it, these freaks would go unchalleged.

and some legislation makes no sense

Fuck you, I think funding for the arts makes no sense. I think taxing people 30-50% for useless programs makes no sense.

Only dipshits care about who's shtupping who. Granted, there are a lot of dipshits in this country. It's just another cross to bear, however.

Again, fuck you... what a gross oversimplification. To a lot of people these are important issues, that they care deeply about. But I guess anyone that wants to legislate morality that YOU disagree with is a dipshit... but if it's the other way around it's a - o - k.

Give me a break.

One mid-level appointee isn't going to turn us into a theocracy.

Collectively Bush is appointing goose-stepping, anti-science christofascists throughout the bureacracy. From global warming, to contraception, to science, these people are influential in profound ways.

And if it weren't for progressives, and people who believe in science challenging it, these freaks would go unchalleged.
He specifically carefully places them strategically where they can really do no harm. It's part of his lip-service to the RR. I'll bet his side believes that the RR thinks they didn't do enough for them so they tossed them another bone...

Bush is has the old tried and true ideal of if I can't do it no one can...
It could be based on his limp weenie syndrome.
Maybe by mid 2008 Bush will be running stiff weenie pill commercials like Dole ?
He might even become Bob's repalcement :D

Back