C.S. Lewis vs. Friedrich Nietzsche

We have had 2000 years to evaluate the truth of Christianity. Anyone pretending to find a new argument is deluded.

The OP demostrated that what C.S. Lewis was addressing isn't exclusive to the Christianity. The concept of a transcendent moral conscience, natural law, the Dao, or wherever you want to call it, was accepted in principle by Socrates, Jesus, Siddhartha Gautama, Thomas Jefferson and the Deists, and by Confucian thinkers.

The OP demostrated that what C.S. Lewis was addressing isn't exclusive to the Bible. The concept of a transcendent moral conscience, natural law, the Dao, or wherever you want to call it, was accepted in principle by Socrates, Jesus, Siddhartha Gautama, Thomas Jefferson and the Deists, and by Confucian thinkers.

Good for them. I do not agree.

Sounds like you have it all figured out

Nope. It's probably different for each type of Individual.
I, personally, have no problem with the Concept of being an Organism on a Mudball hurtling through Space and Time.
'Survival' being Rule #1.
After that, it's a piece of cake. :)

Thomas Jefferson and the authors of the Declaration of Independence unequivocally believed in a universal, transcendent natural law bestowed on humanity. That is not too far from Lewis' assertion of a transcendent moral consciousness.

The thing I like about Nietzsche is that he seeks to transcend the slavery of guilt and repentance, and to take control of one's own life and make it a work of art

That was the general consensus but they each had their range of religious beliefs. I lean with Jefferson and Franklin with the "Watchmaker God" rather than the modern Christian belief of a God on call and responding to prayers and sacrifices. That said I also lean more toward Nietzsche's realism than Lewis's excesses in believing specifics about something that can't be proved such as his belief in a universal moral code; A priori....if I understand the concept correctly. I had to look it up.

No rage. You are projecting.

You're emotional and he is not. You know your life isn't what you like and that's why you play the raging teenage Princess tearing up her bedroom because she hates her parents.

Sad, but I truly believe you'll outgrow it. We all grow older and mature. It's harder on some than others.

barbie-class-reunion-meme.jpg

So you are not actually anti-religion as you claim.

You are just strictly and militantly anti-christian.

That sounds more like an emotional or psychological problem, than a principled intellectual position.

She's young and angry over the path her life is taking. Could be college-age and confused about which way to go or older and watching her marriage fall apart as her husband cheats on her and her kids.

She's young and angry over the path her life is taking. Could be college-age and confused about which way to go or older and watching her marriage fall apart as her husband cheats on her and her kids.
My theory is that bible thumping fundamentalists are brainwashed by charlatan pastors,

And militant, anti-christian atheists are traumatized from being unwillingly dragged to a Fundy church by their parents.

I was neither brainwashed nor traumatized, because I never really had a bad or radical experience with any church I went to.

My theory is that bible thumping fundamentalists are brainwashed by charlatan pastors,

And militant, anti-christian atheists are traumatized from being unwillingly dragged to a Fundy church by their parents.

I was neither brainwashed nor traumatized, because I never really had a bad or radical experience with any church I went to.

Bad theory.

Nope. It's probably different for each type of Individual.
I, personally, have no problem with the Concept of being an Organism on a Mudball hurtling through Space and Time.
'Survival' being Rule #1.
After that, it's a piece of cake. :)
So you feel you are just nothing more than a collection of quarks and electrons.

I have never been totally sold on that kind of strict mechanistic reductionism, but I encourage you to make the case.

And militant, angry atheists are traumatized from being unwillingly dragged to a Fundy church by their parents.

I was neither brainwashed nor traumatized, because I never really had a bad or radical experience with church.

No doubt many people can attest to those histories, but not limited to them. No doubt there are weak personalities who succumb to the lies of both religious and political charlatans. The Manson Family and various religious cults, not all Christians*. IMO, there are people who are susceptible to such groups and those who are not. IMO, most people are not since "brainwashing" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Militant, angry atheists are often young, white males too immature to see past their own wants and needs. Females can fall into this group too.

*Moonies, Heaven's Gate, etc. https://www.insider.com/most-infamo...god-was-an-alien-39-members-died-by-suicide-2

You don't have to believe Jesus ever existed to try and be more like him.

You can still love people and help feed them and heal them!

That was the general consensus but they each had their range of religious beliefs. I lean with Jefferson and Franklin with the "Watchmaker God" rather than the modern Christian belief of a God on call and responding to prayers and sacrifices. That said I also lean more toward Nietzsche's realism than Lewis's excesses in believing specifics about something that can't be proved such as his belief in a universal moral code; A priori....if I understand the concept correctly. I had to look it up.

I am not confident in what the answer is, but it seems reasonable to believe there are some ultimate truths which our scientific equipment and our cognitive limits will never allow us to penetrate.

I like the idea that, by virtue of us being human beings, we are imbrued with some type of universal moral consciousness. I really don't think it can all be explained by natural selection and genetic drift.

I am also struck by the fact that all the major world religious traditions basically independently landed on the same core of binding moral values, within a margin of error.

Back