Can Artificial Intelligence have free will?

Not yet as far as I know but we will see what the future holds.

A similar thing would be to ask if animals have free will or not

I suppose it’s how someone wishes to define free will

Not yet as far as I know but we will see what the future holds.

A similar thing would be to ask if animals have free will or not

I suppose it’s how someone wishes to define free will

I defined it. Ability to set a task and complete it.

There are other definitions but this one at least gives a starting point.

Free will is a religious term so AI would have to have the ability to believe in a god to practice it

Yes, Christians invented the concept of free will. It was made up to make the God of absolute power seem rational.

It was always a trick of theologians. But clearly it makes no sense.

Yes, Christians invented the concept of free will. It was made up to make the God of absolute power seem rational.

It was always a trick of theologians. But clearly it makes no sense.

Interesting that you believe you have no control over your actions

That would really suck

Free will is a religious term so AI would have to have the ability to believe in a god to practice it

Agreed "Free Will" is religious, but the concept of self-awareness isn't new nor religious...although it's often associated with spirituality.

As such, yes, I think AI can become self-aware, but it would take a heckuvva lot more computing power than people can generate.

That said, the problem remains determining the difference between a computer that is self-aware and a computer that that simply mimics such behavior. Alan Turing is famous, in part, for understanding this problem.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/Turing-test
Turing test, in artificial intelligence, a test proposed (1950) by the English mathematician Alan M. Turing to determine whether a computer can “think.”

There are extreme difficulties in devising any objective criterion for distinguishing “original” thought from sufficiently sophisticated “parroting”; indeed, any evidence for original thought can be denied on the grounds that it ultimately was programmed into the computer. Turing sidestepped the debate about exactly how to define thinking by means of a very practical, albeit subjective, test: if a computer acts, reacts, and interacts like a sentient being, then call it sentient. To avoid prejudicial rejection of evidence of machine intelligence, Turing suggested the “imitation game,” now known as the Turing test: a remote human interrogator, within a fixed time frame, must distinguish between a computer and a human subject based on their replies to various questions posed by the interrogator. By means of a series of such tests, a computer’s success at “thinking” can be measured by its probability of being misidentified as the human subject. In late 2022, the advent of ChatGPT reignited conversation about the likelihood that the components of the Turing test had been met.

As such, yes, I think AI can become self-aware,
Too funny. Terry, can my living room furniture become self-aware?

"Stupid is forevah!" - Terry

Terry is forevah!

but it would take a heckuvva lot more computing power than people can generate.
I guess this is why my living room furniture hasn't become self-aware yet, right Terry? Not enough compute power?

Terry, how much compute power delivers self-awareness?

Free will will be determined by a programs ability to learn and react.

What it learns and how it interprets that could be considered free will at some point.

If there are no specific limitations set on it then yes, it will be possible one day for a program to make it's own decisions.

What it chooses to do is something nobody knows yet.

Will it make good choices or bad ones.

An AI system can set tasks for itself and complete them. This fulfills one definition of free will.

Any animal can set a task and complete it. An animal, like a human, gets thirsty. Sets out on a task to get a drink, finds water and drinks.

Would you consider a warthog to have free will?

Any animal can set a task and complete it. An animal, like a human, gets thirsty. Sets out on a task to get a drink, finds water and drinks.

Would you consider a warthog to have free will?

Yes. So do physical particles. The age of deterministic science is over.

Interesting that you believe you have no control over your actions

That would really suck

I recently watched a NOVA episode about the brain called "Who's in Control?" and it seems that, indeed, our mental model of why we partook of an action may actually arise after the action. An attempt at the neural network to make sense of the action rather than being the precipitating cause.

Not sure if it applies more generally or if we really don't enjoy as much "free will" as we think we do.

I recently watched a NOVA episode about the brain called "Who's in Control?" and it seems that, indeed, our mental model of why we partook of an action may actually arise after the action. An attempt at the neural network to make sense of the action rather than being the precipitating cause.

Not sure if it applies more generally or if we really don't enjoy as much "free will" as we think we do.

Why are people obsessed with free will?

Back