Can Artificial Intelligence have free will?

Why are people obsessed with free will?

Because it is close to "unfalsifiable". Does it exist or doesn't it? Are we truly free agents free to make any and all decisions or are we automata? In terms of religion it is CRITICAL to have free well otherwise it is little more than God playing with action figures and occasionally deciding that some of them need to roast for eternity for no actual fault of their own.

It's unsatisfying knowing that maybe you don't actually have as much agency as you think you do.

Because it is close to "unfalsifiable". Does it exist or doesn't it? Are we truly free agents free to make any and all decisions or are we automata? In terms of religion it is CRITICAL to have free well otherwise it is little more than God playing with action figures and occasionally deciding that some of them need to roast for eternity for no actual fault of their own.

It's unsatisfying knowing that maybe you don't actually have as much agency as you think you do.

Yes, I think free will was invented by early Christians.

And I really don't care if I have agency or not. I still have to do stuff.

And I really don't care if I have agency or not. I still have to do stuff.

I generally agree with that approach. Personally I live my life as if I have free will and if it is an illusion it has served well and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. We all still have stuff we have to do. The deeper question, and one good to relate to AI is how different is the AI processing information from how human brains process information?

I don't think the requirement for "free will" is something that anyone can prove in any meaningful way and as such we can't really hold AI to account for having or not having free will as a metric of how "real" the intelligence is.

I generally agree with that approach. Personally I live my life as if I have free will and if it is an illusion it has served well and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. We all still have stuff we have to do. The deeper question, and one good to relate to AI is how different is the AI processing information from how human brains process information?

I don't think the requirement for "free will" is something that anyone can prove in any meaningful way and as such we can't really hold AI to account for having or not having free will as a metric of how "real" the intelligence is.

Free will as in choosing one course of action rather than another.

I think AI has come very close to a system of thought as humans use it.

And if A.I. can do all this kind of thinking, Hofstadter concludes, then it is developing consciousness. He has long argued that consciousness comes in degrees and that if there’s thinking, there’s consciousness. A bee has one level of consciousness, a dog a higher level, an infant a higher level, and an adult a higher level still. “We’re approaching the stage when we’re going to have a hard time saying that this machine is totally unconscious. We’re going to have to grant it some degree of consciousness, some degree of aliveness,” he says.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/13/opinion/ai-chatgpt-consciousness-hofstadter.html

Physical particles, i.e. sub atomic particles, make conscious decisions?

Many biologists and philosophers have recognized that there is no hard line between animate and inanimate. J.B.S. Haldane, the eminent British biologist, supported the view that there is no clear demarcation line between what is alive and what is not: “We do not find obvious evidence of life or mind in so-called inert matter…; but if the scientific point of view is correct, we shall ultimately find them, at least in rudimentary form, all through the universe.”

Niels Bohr, the Danish physicist who was seminal in developing quantum theory, stated that the “very definitions of life and mechanics … are ultimately a matter of convenience…. [T]he question of a limitation of physics in biology would lose any meaning if, instead of distinguishing between living organisms and inanimate bodies, we extended the idea of life to all natural phenomena.”

https://nautil.us/electrons-may-very-well-be-conscious-237818/

By scientists in the deterministic model.

By saying that, you're essentially making the claim that sub atomic particles are alive and able to make decisions on movement. There's no evidence that SA particles have any consciousness to make decisions on how to move.

By saying that, you're essentially making the claim that sub atomic particles are alive and able to make decisions on movement. There's no evidence that SA particles have any consciousness to make decisions on how to move.

And you don't believe humans make decisions.

Just like the rest of nature.

Humans, animals, etc have a consciousness where decisions can be made. There's no reason to believe SA's have consciousness and make decisions on movement any more than a balloon blowing in the wind is "making a decision".

Humans, animals, etc have a consciousness where decisions can be made. There's no reason to believe SA's have consciousness and make decisions on movement any more than a balloon blowing in the wind is "making a decision".

Humans are particles. If humans don't make decisions then they don't need consciousness.

Humans are particles. If humans don't make decisions then they don't need consciousness.

Humans are made of particles, like rocks and plants.

Humans, like parakeets, lions, geckos, etc are able to make decisions because they have consciousness. Making a decision isn't the same as saying conscious creatures had a choice in the decision that was made.

Humans are made of particles, like rocks and plants.

Humans, like parakeets, lions, geckos, etc are able to make decisions because they have consciousness. Making a decision isn't the same as saying conscious creatures had a choice in the decision that was made.

What is consciousness, then?

Interesting that you believe you have no control over your actions

That would really suck

BrandonPathetic in fact has no control over his actions. He is a troll in a forced labor camp in China. He does and thinks what the CCP orders him to do. Any deviance will see him shot.

BrandonPathetic in fact has no control over his actions. He is a troll in a forced labor camp in China. He does and thinks what the CCP orders him to do. Any deviance will see him shot.
^^^
Another example from one of JPP's drunken, dingo-fucking, wife-beating Down Under dumbasses.

Back