Can we stop the inhumane embargo on the people of Cuba now?

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/02/castros-resigna.html

[Patrck Appel] Castro unexpectedly resigning this morning is the big news of the day. Here is a an excerpt from his statement:

To my dearest compatriots, who have recently honored me so much by electing me a member of the Parliament where so many agreements should be adopted of utmost importance to the destiny of our Revolution, I am saying that I will neither aspire to nor accept, I repeat, I will neither aspire to nor accept the positions of President of the State Council and Commander in Chief.

Judah at Headline Junky didn't think Castro would ever give up power voluntarily:

Granted, his brother Raul (no spring chicken at 76) is likely to succeed him, and Fidel might still play a significant background role as power broker, health permitting. But nothing about the man seemed to lend itself to a slow decline and gradual fade out. I always expected his successor would have to pry power from Fidel's dead hands. Instead, the hand has grown to frail to maintain its grip.

Otto Reich's two cents:

Fidel has not run the country since July of 2006 but as long as he is alive no Cuban will dare challenge his power. The average Cuban, as well as the leaders, are far too afraid of physical retaliation from Castro. And with good reason. In fact, I suspect many Cubans will see this resignation as a trick by the Castro brothers to see who attempts to fill Castro's shoes. On the other hand, the jockeying for position within the leadership, which has already begun, will intensify.

Matt Cooper thinks we should end the Cuba embargo:

The current U.S. position, enshrined in law no less, is that the Cuban government must commit to its own destruction before any easing can begin. That's not going to happen. Like it or not, the current Cuban govenrment will, according to our own Defense Intelligence Agency, survive after Castro's death. We can either be a part of helping Cuba change or we can leave it to the Europeans or worse Hugo Chavez and the Chinese. It would have been nice if our embargo had brought down Castro and brought democracy to Cuba. It didn't work. It's time for a change.

Obama is first of out of the gate with comment:

If the Cuban leadership begins opening Cuba to meaningful democratic change, the United States must be prepared to begin taking steps to normalize relations and to ease the embargo of the last five decades. The freedom of the Cuban people is a cause that should bring the Americans together.s

No Chance! Still too many whiny cubans in Miami who think that the losers should get their property back. So long as whiny cubans exist that haven't gotten land back that they lost 40 years ago we will continue the embargo.

This is proof that if we "stay the course" we will win!!1!

Anyhow, that embargo has become nothing more than a heartless political tool for every American President since JFK.

Its done nothing but hurt innocent people and insulate idiots like Castro from a homegrown revolution.

Water...

1) The embargo is not "inhumane"... we simply do not do business with each other.

2) Yes, the embargo should be lifted. It should have been lifted a long ass time ago.

FTW! If we wait long enough, they retire!
Yeah but they retire after we have gone through 10 presidents. I don't think that is what we had in mind when we began the embargo. Shows how well they work. Shit active engagement with China was more sucessful.

Water...

1) The embargo is not "inhumane"... we simply do not do business with each other.

2) Yes, the embargo should be lifted. It should have been lifted a long ass time ago.

Not allowing families to see eachother for years on end is indeed inhumane. Not allowing Americans to travel feely outside of the country is unjust and tyrannical, not to mention, not of the jurisdiction of this country.

It is stupid and inhumane.

Doesn't it get hot hanging out in a skillet all day?

It should be ended, but there are plenty of business interests that want to keep things the way they are..

Florida tourism, Florida big suggar. Cancun, Jamaca, Aruba, many other interests.

Yeah but they retire after we have gone through 10 presidents. I don't think that is what we had in mind when we began the embargo. Shows how well they work. Shit active engagement with China was more sucessful.
We rawk! See that awesome patience! Generations of patience, this just proves that Americans stick to what they beg....

I'm bored.

Not allowing families to see eachother for years on end is indeed inhumane. Not allowing Americans to travel feely outside of the country is unjust and tyrannical, not to mention, not of the jurisdiction of this country.

It is stupid and inhumane.

Doesn't it get hot hanging out in a skillet all day?

I agree that the embargo is idiotic... you tool. But that does not make it inhumane.

It should be ended, but there are plenty of business interests that want to keep things the way they are..

Florida tourism, Florida big suggar. Cancun, Jamaca, Aruba, many other interests.

To hell with Floridians. We'll just have the Dems create another ballot...waive it in their faces and they will be too confused to remember that they are in favor of the embargo.

I am so GLAD you said that. It was just hanging out there waiting to be said but I didn't want to be the first. You heartless (sniff sniff whine whine) chauvinist pig!

Yes, I am a man and do not like Hillary and it is only because she is a woman, not because I have detested the Clowntoons since long before most on this board knew who they were.

What families did we keep from doing so?

Cuban families in Florida are only allowed to return to Cuba every three years to see their loved ones. Is that humane in your book?

"While the U.S. embargo has limited who can travel to the communist island and what can be sent there since the early 1960s, Bush's restrictions made visiting and shipping gifts to Cuba more difficult.

Now most Cuban-Americans can only visit the island once every three years and can only send quarterly remittances of up to $300 per household to immediate family members. Previously, they could visit once a year and send up to $3,000. The U.S. also tightened restrictions on travel for educational and religious groups."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/21/AR2007082100229.html

Yes, it is inhumane and unjust, and it does nothing but hurt innocent people.

Cuban families in Florida are only allowed to return to Cuba every three years to see their loved ones. Is that humane in your book?

"While the U.S. embargo has limited who can travel to the communist island and what can be sent there since the early 1960s, Bush's restrictions made visiting and shipping gifts to Cuba more difficult.

Now most Cuban-Americans can only visit the island once every three years and can only send quarterly remittances of up to $300 per household to immediate family members. Previously, they could visit once a year and send up to $3,000. The U.S. also tightened restrictions on travel for educational and religious groups."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/21/AR2007082100229.html

Yes, it is inhumane and unjust, and it does nothing but hurt innocent people.

Again, as I stated... the embargo should have been lifted as it was idiotic to begin with. Embargos do not tend to work.

That said, NO, it is not inhumane to restrict travel. Not one of those families was forced to stay in the US. They had a choice. They could stay in the US and abide by the idiotic embargo or they could choose to live elsewhere... including going back to Cuba. No one forced them to stay here.

Fuckit. If anyone has shares in Westjet then watch them carefully. If there's normal economic relations between Cuba and the US any time soon it's going to put pressure on Westjet. Can't you people just leave Cuba alone? Why go in there and fuck it up for the rest of us? If you must have Cuban cigars then you can still get them from Canada you know.

Back