Canadian election Next Tuesday!

I went to an all-candidates debate for Ottawa Centre on Saturday.... and the Liberal and Conservative candidates didnt show up....

Too bad, I asked a question on foreign aid.....

Why Canada gives less than 1/2 of 1% of its government spending on foreign aid, whether this was a generous amount or if we could do more....

The NDP answer was that it was shameful....

The Green party answer was just gibberish...There was a Sarah Palin type candidate for the Green Party...Looked down at her cheatsheets all night long... and tended to agree with the NDP candidate....

CK

My favorite party would probably be the Greens, then the Liberals, then the NDP. I'm hoping the the Liberals, Greens, and NDP can get enough seats so that they can form a coalition without the Bloc or Conservatives, but that doesn't seem likely. The more realistic hope is that the Cons not getting a majority. The Conservatives just want to make Canada a US state.

I went to an all-candidates debate for Ottawa Centre on Saturday.... and the Liberal and Conservative candidates didnt show up....

Too bad, I asked a question on foreign aid.....

Why Canada gives less than 1/2 of 1% of its government spending on foreign aid, whether this was a generous amount or if we could do more....

The NDP answer was that it was shameful....

The Green party answer was just gibberish...There was a Sarah Palin type candidate for the Green Party...Looked down at her cheatsheets all night long... and tended to agree with the NDP candidate....

CK
Didn't I already tell you, the Green Party is a clone of the NDP with an environmental hardon?

Can I ask you a question? If you support foreign aid, why not just sponsor a child in a 3rd world country? Government is especially bad in this area because it ends up dealing with other governments in poor countries rather than getting in the field and making a difference.

"Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries." – Douglas Casey (1992)

My favorite party would probably be the Greens, then the Liberals, then the NDP. I'm hoping the the Liberals, Greens, and NDP can get enough seats so that they can form a coalition without the Bloc or Conservatives, but that doesn't seem likely. The more realistic hope is that the Cons not getting a majority. The Conservatives just want to make Canada a US state.
That's pretty much the same old tired line used by leftwing parties all over the world, except of course you replace Canada with whatever country they are in.
Yay anti-Americanism! Lead the small minds based on hate rather than issues.

Didn't I already tell you, the Green Party is a clone of the NDP with an environmental hardon?

That's not true at all. The Greens are actually to the right of the NDP. It's why they are heading to get more votes than any Green party in a national election has ever gotten before in this election.

Can I ask you a question? If you support foreign aid, why not just sponsor a child in a 3rd world country? Government is especially bad in this area because it ends up dealing with other governments in poor countries rather than getting in the field and making a difference.

"Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries." – Douglas Casey (1992)

Have you ever heard of the free rider problem Dano? That's why it's idiotic to make contributing to the welfare of society voluntary. People skip out and only the ones with good hearts pay, breaking the back of the system.

That's pretty much the same old tired line used by leftwing parties all over the world, except of course you replace Canada with whatever country they are in.
Yay anti-Americanism! Lead the small minds based on hate rather than issues.

Dano, it is truly incredible how far to the right the US has gone in the past 30 years. We are governed by extremists. I wouldn't wish that on any country.

Dano, it is truly incredible how far to the right the US has gone in the past 30 years. We are governed by extremists. I wouldn't wish that on any country.
You're insane. Pill bill, the largest social welfare expansion since the 1960's. The largest ever education increase with NCLB and Ted Kennedy's provision. Sarbanes-Oxley. Unemployment insurance increase. Minimum wage increase. No cuts to government.
We have gone far LEFT and we are about to go further.

That's not true at all. The Greens are actually to the right of the NDP. It's why they are heading to get more votes than any Green party in a national election has ever gotten before in this election.
Wrong, as CK himself pointed out and anyone watching it, they do not disagree with the NDP over anything. You are just making up BS on the fly.

Have you ever heard of the free rider problem Dano? That's why it's idiotic to make contributing to the welfare of society voluntary. People skip out and only the ones with good hearts pay, breaking the back of the system.
I've heard that theory many times. Americans are far more charitable than the French because they don't see the role as mostly that of the state.
Sure some skip out, most don't and you avoid the massive take that a government admin does.

If a government admin is inefficient, the answer is to reform the bureaucracy of the adminm and pattern it after the admin seen in charities, rather than just abolishing welfare.

Wrong, as CK himself pointed out and anyone watching it, they do not disagree with the NDP over anything. You are just making up BS on the fly.

canada2008.png

The Greens are somewhere in between the NDP and the Liberals. They are like Liberals that want legal pot.

canada2008.png

The Greens are somewhere in between the NDP and the Liberals. They are like Liberals that want legal pot.
The NDP wants legal pot too and have for years:
http://www.cannabisculture.ca/articles/3132.html
Sorry no difference and some chart that comes from some guy's site who attempts to chart his opinion of where political parties lie does not make it so.
politicalcompass.org is a site that is bias to making people sound more left than they are (to try and make them sound like they should vote that way). This is a very old argument that I've made going back to 2004 when someone posted it and amazingly everyone ended up more to the left.
Show me a chart from any other site and I'll see.

CK himself said the Greens are no different than the NDP and are a leftwing party, if you watch the debate I bet you'd find that they are no different.

If a government admin is inefficient, the answer is to reform the bureaucracy of the adminm and pattern it after the admin seen in charities, rather than just abolishing welfare.
???
How can you pattern government backed and paid bureaucracies against those who volunteer to help?

"Have you ever noticed how statists are constantly "reforming" their own handiwork? Education reform. Health-care reform. Welfare reform. Tax reform. The very fact that they're always busy "reforming" is an implicit admission that they didn't get it right the first 50 times." – Lawrence W. Reed, economist, in The Freeman

???
How can you pattern government backed and paid bureaucracies against those who volunteer to help?

"Have you ever noticed how statists are constantly "reforming" their own handiwork? Education reform. Health-care reform. Welfare reform. Tax reform. The very fact that they're always busy "reforming" is an implicit admission that they didn't get it right the first 50 times." – Lawrence W. Reed, economist, in The Freeman

Dano, having an election platform of "I will do nothing" never appeals to many voters. Everyone wants to reform part of the government. You want to reform the government significantly. This is not a very radical proposition.

The NDP wants legal pot too and have for years:
http://www.cannabisculture.ca/articles/3132.html
Sorry no difference and some chart that comes from some guy's site who attempts to chart his opinion of where political parties lie does not make it so.
politicalcompass.org is a site that is bias to making people sound more left than they are (to try and make them sound like they should vote that way). This is a very old argument that I've made going back to 2004 when someone posted it and amazingly everyone ended up more to the left.
Show me a chart from any other site and I'll see.

CK himself said the Greens are no different than the NDP and are a leftwing party, if you watch the debate I bet you'd find that they are no different.

CK said:
The Green Party sucks....

Yep he really loves em.

Dano, having an election platform of "I will do nothing" never appeals to many voters. Everyone wants to reform part of the government. You want to reform the government significantly. This is not a very radical proposition.
I want to cut government, you can call that reform if you want. No it's not radical, nor did I saw it was, but you are ignoring what the nature of government is and why it stays on a path of endless reform. It's because it's not able to think and react like individuals in private entities, it's very cumbersome, strict and a non-intuitive machine.

"Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel, grasping, and unintelligent." – H. L. Mencken

I want to cut government, you can call that reform if you want. No it's not radical, nor did I saw it was, but you are ignoring what the nature of government is and why it stays on a path of endless reform. It's because it's not able to think and react like individuals in private entities, it's very cumbersome, strict and a non-intuitive machine.

"Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel, grasping, and unintelligent." – H. L. Mencken

Dano, I really can't trust your estimations of government waste, because you will always exagerate and make up statistics that you like on the subject. What I'm saying is that if private charity's are so efficient and great, it would be a simple matter to copy their mode of action and use it efficiently in government. Not that the government is anywhere near as inefficient as you say. To the starving child it matters not whether their food came from a welfare state or a private charity, but under the private charity model there are going to be a lot more starving children.

Oh, and BTW:

"The development of Modern Industry, therefore, cuts from under its feet the very foundation on which the bourgeoisie produces and appropriates products. What the bourgeoisie, therefore, produces, above all, are its own grave-diggers. Its fall and the victory of the proletariat are equally inevitable. ”

— Karl Marx

Back