Canadian election Next Tuesday!

Dano, I really can't trust your estimations of government waste, because you will always exagerate and make up statistics that you like on the subject.
I have caught you MANY times making up stats, where have I exxagerated or made up many? Produce proof.

What I'm saying is that if private charity's are so efficient and great, it would be a simple matter to copy their mode of action and use it efficiently in government.
Their mode of action is people volunteering and doing it because they care. Government does it because its workers get a paycheck, they may care, they may not, they are almost always unionized and unaccountable and end up drifting into being inefficient because there is no profit or charitable drive that gives them a reason to care.

Not that the government is anywhere near as inefficient as you say. To the starving child it matters not whether their food came from a welfare state or a private charity, but under the private charity model there are going to be a lot more starving children.
There are NO recorded cases of children starving in 1950's America before the Food Stamp Act and there are private food banks in countries like Canada that supply food via charity with no government money or even oversight. They are thinner than us.
You are making a very common mistake in assuming that social welfare programs come about via dire need, MOST came about because some noble lefties decided we are a wealthy enough society that government should do X. Remember that the Great Society started in the early 60's during a time of prosperity, not need.

Oh, and BTW:
"The development of Modern Industry, therefore, cuts from under its feet the very foundation on which the bourgeoisie produces and appropriates products. What the bourgeoisie, therefore, produces, above all, are its own grave-diggers. Its fall and the victory of the proletariat are equally inevitable. ”

— Karl Marx
Are you trying to equate a failed idealist like Marx to a witty critic like Mencken. Sorry his ideas did not result in TENS of MILLIONS of deaths from starvation and state slaughter.
Your quote reminds me of how the left (backed by unions) strongly opposed machines replacing workers in America and being hostile to computers in general in the 80's. Too bad Marx's theory didn't pan out then either as people moved to jobs in the service industry and high-tech and we all lived better in the 90's.

Back