Capital gains & income averaging.

Yea yea yea heard it before. You have never, ever been able to counter that the flat tax does not shift the burden of taxation from the wealthy and to the middle class.

I wouldn't counter that. I agree that the flat tax doesn't shift the burden of taxation from the wealthy to the middle class. It doesn't. That is a FACT. With the standard deduction, the bottom 50% still won't be paying federal income tax. With the flat tax the LT cap gains would be taxed at higher rates. For the most wealthy their effective rates would never fall below 19% (under my scenario) and would likely be in the mid to upper 20's range. They would NEVER be able to have the effective tax that Romney displayed that you bitch about.

So please moron, do tell us how you have discredited the flat tax. As usual, you just make moronic comments with NOTHING to substantiate your claims. I can show you precisely why I am right with numbers to back it.

The flat tax with a standard deduction starts out progressive but flattens out at the top end. While that's better than what we have now (now rates drop at the top end) it's suboptimal in my view. I'd be all for it with a higher standard deduction ($35,000 is too low, particularly if you have no dependent children deductions) and an X percentage tax on income over $Y to keep it sufficiently progressive at the high end.

The flat tax with a standard deduction starts out progressive but flattens out at the top end. While that's better than what we have now (now rates drop at the top end) it's suboptimal in my view. I'd be all for it with a higher standard deduction ($35,000 is too low, particularly if you have no dependent children deductions) and an X percentage tax on income over $Y to keep it sufficiently progressive at the high end.

I have no problem at all raising the standard deduction amount. My numbers (and Soc's) are used for example purposes.

In my scenario, as his, you would have a two brackets. One up until a million, another for every dollar over a million. Of course it would flatten at the top. You don't need it to go eternally higher.

The point is that it will eliminate anyone from making more and paying a lower effective rate. It will never happen. It is impossible. Even if you went to just one bracket.

I have no problem at all raising the standard deduction amount. My numbers (and Soc's) are used for example purposes.

In my scenario, as his, you would have a two brackets. One up until a million, another for every dollar over a million. Of course it would flatten at the top. You don't need it to go eternally higher.

The point is that it will eliminate anyone from making more and paying a lower effective rate. It will never happen. It is impossible. Even if you went to just one bracket.

What I meant was that with the numbers you are using it flattens out at too low of an income.

Yea yea yea heard it before. You have never, ever been able to counter that the flat tax does not shift the burden of taxation from the wealthy and to the middle class.

What the fuck are you talking about? If we were talking about a flat tax without an exemption, you would be correct. But every serious flat tax proposal includes an exemption of at least $20,000. Let's say there's a 15% tax on anything over $30k. In this scenario, someone making $50k would pay 15% on $20,000, which amounts to $3000. That's far less than I paid in Federal income tax when I made $50k (if I remember correctly, I paid around $6000 in Federal income tax).

A flat tax benefits the middle class.

What I meant was that with the numbers you are using it flattens out at too low of an income.

The numbers I have proposed for the past three years are

Standard deduction $30k per adult
Tax from that to $1mm 20%
Tax above $1mm (adjusted for inflation) 30%

yeah it is funny that an idiot is making fun of another for being an idiot.

Just look at Mutts moronic comments to me on this thread. He makes that stupid proclamation every time someone mentions a flat tax with standard deduction, then he runs away.

What the fuck are you talking about? If we were talking about a flat tax without an exemption, you would be correct. But every serious flat tax proposal includes an exemption of at least $20,000. Let's say there's a 15% tax on anything over $30k. In this scenario, someone making $50k would pay 15% on $20,000, which amounts to $3000. That's far less than I paid in Federal income tax when I made $50k (if I remember correctly, I paid around $6000 in Federal income tax).

A flat tax benefits the middle class.

He has no clue what the fuck he is talking about. That is the problem. You have to remember, he is from Ohio. When speaking to a man from Ohio, keep several things in mind...

1) Science to them means shouting consensus and ignoring the scientific method.
2) 2+2 is the extent of their math skills
3) If you make a noise like a sheep, every Ohio man within earshot will come a runnin'

The numbers I have proposed for the past three years are

Standard deduction $30k per adult
Tax from that to $1mm 20%
Tax above $1mm (adjusted for inflation) 30%

Run the numbers for $950,000, $150,000 and $50,000. The increase from 150,000 to 950,000 should be more dramatic than the increase from $50,000 to $100,000.

By the way, do you have any idea what the numbers would actually have to be to replicate the income tax revenues the current system generates?

Run the numbers for $950,000, $150,000 and $50,000. The increase from 150,000 to 950,000 should be more dramatic than the increase from $50,000 to $100,000.

No, it shouldn't. By that logic you would have different rates for every dollar. By using the standard deduction, you are going to get a bigger percentage jump early on. It has to happen when you go from zero to the flat tax rate. Unless again you have 40 brackets and do it slowly. Bottom line, it is progressive in that you continually pay a higher rate until it flattens out. THAT is progressive.

By the way, do you have any idea what the numbers would actually have to be to replicate the income tax revenues the current system generates?

No, which is why I always use 20% and 30% as examples. The actual rates would likely vary based on what the needs were. It is the structure that I want to highlight. If the rates need to shift up or down, the structure still works.

No

Dixie, we agree upon
“People out there who have the wealth to invest, weigh the options, consider the risks, and factor in the rates of taxation, or possibility of increased taxation in the near future, and they make a decision whether to use their money as venture capital, or keep it invested in securities”.

Before the government put its fat thumb on the scale, final rate of investment returns were generally determined by open competitive markets. I’m opposed to government intervention that is of no particular advantage to our nation. You don’t share my confidence in competitive open markets?

This isn't about competitiveness of open markets, it's about reward vs. risk, and people who are extremely smart with money, making decisions based on what is most lucrative for them. If capital investment is going to be treated the same as regular income, a smart person may as well keep their money locked away in securities, because the reward becomes less worth the risk the higher the cap gains tax rate is.

Again, I point you to my example of the bus driver and the trip to NY. Why would the bus driver agree to pay the fare? He doesn't need to travel to NY, the only reason he is doing it, is to make some money. He already has to pay for the wear and tear on his bus, and any mechanical trouble along the way, but with the addition of this stupid policy that he has to also pay the bus fare, it makes it less attractive as a venture, and the bus driver may determine he would be better off staying at home and watching the Super Bowl. This is what is happening to wealthy investors out there, they are looking at the Obama policies, the War on The Rich, the promise of ending the Bush tax cuts, the constant droning about raising the cap gains taxes, the demonizing of capitalist investments and finance.... and they are saying, fuck this... let's go to the Caymans and enjoy the weather! We need for them to start taking their money out of security investments and putting it to work building new factories, creating new jobs, starting new businesses, etc. The ONLY way to get them to do that, is to make it ATTRACTIVE to do that, instead of doing everything in our power to discourage it.

If the tax rate reductions granted for long term capital gain, (LTCG) incomes were eliminated, financial markets rates of return would adjust themselves as open competitive markets generally adjust to any changes of germane factors. It would certainly not kill start-up capital investments.

With all due respect, no it wouldn't, and I can prove it. When we increased the Reagan-era capital gains taxes under Clinton, the amount of investment capital available declined precipitously, and some economists will argue, this is what began the current recessionary conditions, sparked along the way, of course, by the failure of the financial and housing sectors. We tend to look at the most recent events and attribute the economy to that, but the conditions which enabled this recession were years in the making.

If your argument is, we can raise cap gains taxes to the same as regular income, and markets will eventually adjust, that may be correct, but you know what else would happen, the amount of venture capital available would decline. Of course, if we are in great economic times, like we were at the end of the Reagan administration, it might not be that noticeable, and we might be able to live with the increase in tax and decrease in investment, but we aren't in those times now, we are in the shitter with the economy, we have no job creation to speak of, we have no new spark of economic expansion, we have no risk-taking entrepreneurs willing to invest their money in a good idea.... it's a cycle. In order to return to the days of old, we have to take bold measures, like reducing significantly, or even eliminating, the capital gains tax. If we did this, in a matter of months, we would start to see factories rise up, with many new jobs to follow, and through the cumulative economic growth, we would actually create more tax revenue in the end.

Almost all LTCG transaction tax benefits are due to transfers of wealth rather than to investments. Due to the extent of start-up ventures’ risks, the LTCG tax reductions do extremely little to increase actual investments.

I don't know where you got this information, but it's dubious at best. Due to the extreme risks of venture capital, the cap gains tax becomes a crucial determining factor in any investment. Why would anyone in their right mind take great risks with their money so they can turn around and pay the same taxes as if they had earned income? It makes no sense to a rich person, and a rich person is very often the type that doesn't do things stupidly when it comes to finance. They can find less "taxing" ways to use their wealth, with far less risk, they don't have to invest in new capitalist ventures.

Only when the decision “hangs on thread” does the LTCG tax reduction induce any start up investment.

And in the case of new untested start up corporations, the decision to take a risk and invest, is ALWAYS hanging on a thread! It's hard enough to expect wealthy investors to take the risk, WITHOUT the cap gains tax... add that, and you create what is often a 'deal killer.' Again, explain to me why any smart investor is going to take the risk with his money, so that if he realizes a profit or gain, he will have to pay the same tax as if it were income... when he can get a nice return on his money while it sits risk free in security investments and not suffer the tax liability? Or better yet... he can take that same $100 million capital investment, and use it in a country like Belize or Singapore, where there is no capital gains tax, and he isn't even subject to US income tax, unless he cashes in and brings the money back home.

Within all other of such questions the other aggregate factors determined the final decision.
LTCG tax discounts induce extremely few investments and not significant numbers of wealth transfers. It does decrease tax revenues and increase our budget deficits.

Tax revenues historically decrease when we raise the top marginal tax rates. This is because of a really simple concept people can't seem to grasp... wealthy people do not NEED to earn income! They already earned their incomes, it has already been taxed. They now have amassed wealth, and they pay CPAs good money every year, to find ways to show less 'income' and pay less taxes. The way to encourage these people to loosen the purse-strings, is NOT to increase capital gains tax.

With respect to your view that CG tax 'discounts' cost us money we could be gaining in tax revenue, I disagree as well. Reducing cap gains taxes, encourages investment... Investment creates new business, new jobs, both are taxable in the form of corporate and personal income tax, so the increased investment due to reduced cap gains, is directly responsible for GREATER revenues in the end. You are going to gain much more in tax revenue as a result of a new factory employing hundreds of people or a new corporation selling millions of units of product, than you would have ever gained by taxing the initial capital investment.

A LTCG sales transaction is a pretax transaction; (i.e. the profit from that sale were not previously taxed) there’s no logical reason that sales income should not be taxed and taxed at the regular rate.

Respectfully, Supposn

Again, there IS a reason, I explained it earlier with an analogy about a charter bus to NY. A wealthy capital investor has absolutely NO reason to take a risk with his money and invest in some new venture, if the reward for doing so is going to be taxed the same as income. There are many less risky ways for the wealthy person to utilize their assets, and probably even make more profit with less tax liability. Now we can chew the fat on this as long as you like, and we can ponder and pontificate on our respective viewpoints, but all we need to do is look at the current situation in our country, the reality of our current tax policies, and how they have affected investment the past 20 years or so. It's hard to argue with reality.

Long Term Capital Gains vs Income Averagiing

.............................. Income averaging is of absolutely no use to a capital investor. Most projects will take 5-10 years to turn a profit, and a return on investment, so when you started gaining return, your tax rate would not allow you to recoup the gains for the 5-10 years your money was used, you just start paying a tax, and tax codes aren't going to allow anything close to 10 year averaging. But furthermore, this still applies a tax to something that we shouldn't tax. You need to decide, do we NEED a bus driver to take us to New York? If so, stop trying to charge him the same as a passenger, and encourage him to do the job!

Dixie, I‘m trying parse out your comparison between the LTCG and the income averaging tax reductions.
In Both cases you can’t use the tax discount until you earn the profit. If the project takes 10 years, then that’s what it takes. What’s your point?

When discussing long term capital gains, (LTCG), what’s meant by “when you started gaining return”? You don’t have a capital gain unless you sell something. I no longer do taxes but I’ve never sold something over a number of years and filed to have each year’s installment payment considered as a LTCG. If you sold it 10 years later, you file for the LTCG tax discount 10 years later. So what’s your point?

Income averaging was a tax provision that was on the books and worked for many years before computers were common in schools and households. Now it would be cheaper and easier to administer and use it. Unlike LTCG, income averaging was applicable to almost all income sources. The government did not determine what financial activity was more or was less in our nation’s best interests.

Your perceive faults for a tax provision that has worked before. I used income averaging after graduation and I began earning a living wage. I again used it after my first really big raise.

Concerning your bus driver: regardless of how vital he is to the company, he, all of his passengers and the bus company itself should pay their full legally required shares of taxes.

Respectfully, Supposn

Dixie, I‘m trying parse out your comparison between the LTCG and the income averaging tax reductions.
In Both cases you can’t use the tax discount until you earn the profit. If the project takes 10 years, then that’s what it takes. What’s your point?

When discussing long term capital gains, (LTCG), what’s meant by “when you started gaining return”? You don’t have a capital gain unless you sell something. I no longer do taxes but I’ve never sold something over a number of years and filed to have each year’s installment payment considered as a LTCG. If you sold it 10 years later, you file for the LTCG tax discount 10 years later. So what’s your point?

Income averaging was a tax provision that was on the books and worked for many years before computers were common in schools and households. Now it would be cheaper and easier to administer and use it. Unlike LTCG, income averaging was applicable to almost all income sources. The government did not determine what financial activity was more or was less in our nation’s best interests.

Your perceive faults for a tax provision that has worked before. I used income averaging after graduation and I began earning a living wage. I again used it after my first really big raise.

Concerning your bus driver: regardless of how vital he is to the company, he, all of his passengers and the bus company itself should pay their full legally required shares of taxes.

Respectfully, Supposn

The point in my example is, the investor puts his money on the line, risks his capital, in hopes of a return. It may take 10 years to realize a ROI, but the taxes on cap gains do not consider the investors use of his money for 10 years, they are immediately applied to any capital gain, regardless of what risk and patience it took to get there. The investor could have done all kinds of other things with the money in that time, and not had the burden of any tax. In that same period of time, their investment may have shown moments of promise, cap gains taxes are levied and paid, then there is a period of loss... does the cap gains tax give back a percentage then? Nope. Taxes are paid on gains, nothing is returned for loss... over 10 years, with many ups and downs, that could add up. The bottom line is, the investor has other options which do not involve a capital gains tax, and that is what they are doing now, which is why we have no economic growth.

LMAO... you have NEVER, NOT ONCE discredited the flat tax. If you feel you have, either point us to the thread where you were previously embarrassed, or please by all means... DO TRY again.

The flat tax with standard deduction is the only true FAIR tax. It is the only true PROGRESSIVE taxation method.

So by all means, do try to counter...

Mott is like a DB in football. Short memory, they have to forget quickly when they get burned for a 99 yard TD pass so they can dance like they won the Superbowl when they tackle the guy after a 15 yard pass.

1. $50,000 would pay $4.000
2. $150,000 would pay $24,000
3. $950,000 would pay $186,000

Therefore the guy making 3 times what the first guy made would pay 6 times as much, while the guy making 19 times what the first guy made and 6.3 times what the second guy made, would pay 46.5 times what the first guy paid and 7.75 times what the second guy paid.

Where do you see a problem?

Investments and transfers of wealth

Supposn wrote:
Almost all LTCG transaction tax benefits are due to transfers of wealth rather than to investments. Due to the extent of start-up ventures’ risks, the LTCG tax reductions do extremely little to increase actual investments.

Dixie wrote:
I don't know where you got this information, but it's dubious at best. Due to the extreme risks of venture capital, the cap gains tax becomes a crucial determining factor in any investment. Why would anyone in their right mind take great risks with their money so they can turn around and pay the same taxes as if they had earned income? It makes no sense to a rich person, and a rich person is very often the type that doesn't do things stupidly when it comes to finance. They can find less "taxing" ways to use their wealth, with far less risk, they don't have to invest in new capitalist ventures.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dixie, I would suppose the major NUMBERS of transactions that qualified for the long term capital gains, (LTCG) reduced tax rates were sales of stocks, bonds, financial securities and real-estate.
I also suppose the major AMOUNTS of transactions that qualified for the long term capital gains, (LTCG) reduced tax rates were also due to the sales of these same items.

Let’s first consider common stock in relation to LTCGs:
Sales of Initial public offers, (IPOs) certainly provide additional investment funds to their issuing enterprises and they contribute to their nations’ GDPs.
Sales of other than IPO stocks are transfers of wealth, (unless the stock is sold by the issuing enterprise), are considered as transfer of wealth rather than an investment.
///////////////////////////
To the extent that real-estate sales profits are attributable to the improvement of the real estate, only that improvement was contributed to the nation’s GDP. Improvements or maintenance of real-estate are investments; the remainder of real-estate sales prices are transfers of wealth which do not contribute to a nation’s GDP.
///////////////////////

Other than these exceptions, almost everything you’ve described as investments do not contribute to the nation’s GDP and are actually “transfers of wealth”.

We agree that investment risks are much greater than risks incurred for transfers of wealth. LTCG has a much lesser affect upon investments (rather than transfers of wealth decisions).
There are much fewer investment (rather than transfers of wealth) transaction determinations that are subject to LTCG tax rate reductions.
LTCG provisions have lesser affects upon actual investment.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
Back