Charoite's mineral collecting chat.

Charoite

Verified User
Since the election madness ended and many showed interest in this reprieve topic, I decided to continue it here.

Bad news, I snoozed on my hessonite bid and lost it by 50 cents. Found they had another one but someone was very interested. It sold almost $18.00 more than the last one. No thanks.

Got a bid on a good size turquoise specimen but I won't win it without increasing the bid.

s-l500.jpg

I won way more bids than I was planning. I got some deals for sure but I also have a much bigger bill than I thought. :seenoevil:

Gorgeous! I've used some of these gemstones in jewelry making. Tourmaline is one of my favorites.

I can't believe all the things I won. I just put a bunch of lowball starting bids on things and ended up unexpectedly winning most of them. I literally got that obsidian for a $1.99 and a dollar added to my shipping total from the place. The bad news is I was almost certain my cheap bid wouldn't win anything and was just testing the grounds on a bunch of items. I was going to push for the less competitive ones. Sure I got some steals but they added up fast. I even found something of my name sake. Since the stuff is so dang pricey though I only got charoite beads. They have their fakes but it is easy to know the real deal because of their very specific blotting that looks like oil paint in water.

Here's an example of a bigger version of the tiny beads I got. Notice the size to price ratio. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charoite-S...290956?hash=item3fbf87d98c:g:stQAAOSwrJRcqREM

Last edited:
This is my SO's favorite gemstone: chrome diopside. Supposedly it is only found in one mountain range in Siberia and is exceedingly difficult to mine.

Since the election madness ended and many showed interest in this reprieve topic, I decided to continue it here.

Fascinating hobby.

One of my dad’s cousins was a high school science teacher and had quite the collection. When he died, I heard he had donated it, but I can’t recall where. Possibly the local university.

Fascinating hobby.

One of my dad’s cousins was a high school science teacher and had quite the collection. When he died, I heard he had donated it, but I can’t recall where. Possibly the local university.
I've been a rock collector since I was in maybe the 5th grade. I'm a Michigander and had an eagle eye for the state stone, the Petoskey Stone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petoskey_stone Mom still has a jar of the ones I picked up. I don't have access to search mines, etc, so I end up bidding on specimens online.

Are you very good at it? Do you use prepared stone or prepare it yourself?

I haven't made the wire/metal jewelry in a couple of years, but yeah, I did okay. I use purchased stones. Have often thought how cool it would be to find raw ones and cut and polish them though. Maybe I could use Mr. Owl's casings tumbler.... hahahaha.

A few examples:

Birds nest earrings

s8qUcum.jpg

Tree of life necklace

m4muC09.jpg

The last few years I've been doing mainly beadwork.

V4DGahD.jpg

nR4DB31.jpg

FyNewou.jpg

I haven't made the wire/metal jewelry in a couple of years, but yeah, I did okay. I use purchased stones. Have often thought how cool it would be to find raw ones and cut and polish them though. Maybe I could use Mr. Owl's casings tumbler.... hahahaha.

A few examples:

Birds nest earrings

s8qUcum.jpg

Tree of life necklace

m4muC09.jpg

The last few years I've been doing mainly beadwork.

V4DGahD.jpg

nR4DB31.jpg

FyNewou.jpg

For the home jeweler those seem nice. If you ever find a way to get some sterling silver in the mix, people pay good money. Of, course, that also means that you are as well.

Back