Church condemns abortion performed on raped girl, 11

uscitizen

Villified User

Sibylla Brodzinsky in Bogotá
Thursday August 31, 2006
The Guardian

A Vatican official has said the Catholic church will excommunicate a medical team who performed Colombia's first legal abortion on an 11-year-old girl, who was eight weeks pregnant after being raped by her stepfather.

Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, the president of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family, said in addition to the doctors and nurses, the measure could apply to "relatives, politicians and lawmakers" whom he called "protagonists in this abominable crime".

For complete story goto:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/colombia/story/0,,1861532,00.html

Sibylla Brodzinsky in Bogotá
Thursday August 31, 2006
The Guardian

A Vatican official has said the Catholic church will excommunicate a medical team who performed Colombia's first legal abortion on an 11-year-old girl, who was eight weeks pregnant after being raped by her stepfather.

Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, the president of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family, said in addition to the doctors and nurses, the measure could apply to "relatives, politicians and lawmakers" whom he called "protagonists in this abominable crime".

For complete story goto:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/colombia/story/0,,1861532,00.html

Same law they have in South Dakota: no abortions, at anytime, no matter what. No exceptions.

I guess the clinics in neighboring states are doing a good business then.
I wonder will this drop in state college attendance by females ?

I don't agree with the Vatican on this one. Big deal right? I'm not Catholic.

Church discipline is not to be used as punishment but rather to bring about repentence. Sounds like to me that this is not being done out of love for the sinner but more out of vindictiveness.

Immie

does anyone doubt that this is precisely the sort of thing that will happen in America if we 1.) allow Roe v. Wade to be overturned, and 2.) allow the religious right in America to gain control of our government?

Maine, imho, that is exactly the types of things that will happen if the religious right gets control of our govt. well perhaps not exactly, it would be jail time instead of excommunication. My purpose in posting this thread.

This is a danger to a girl of that age. I would not condemn such an abortion.

I don't agree with the Vatican on this one. Big deal right? I'm not Catholic.

Church discipline is not to be used as punishment but rather to bring about repentence. Sounds like to me that this is not being done out of love for the sinner but more out of vindictiveness.

Immie

Agree 100%!

I find it interesting that the Catholic Church does what they can get away with. They would never promote the same justice in North America because the bad press they would get. Why do Columbians who perform Abortions get excomunicated but not Americans?

does anyone doubt that this is precisely the sort of thing that will happen in America if we 1.) allow Roe v. Wade to be overturned, and 2.) allow the religious right in America to gain control of our government?

Thats one extreme.. and then there is the fear of the other exteme .. the prospect of a bunch of Souless wonders ... i.e. permitting abortions to be used as a form of birth control and terminating 3rd trimester pregnancies ...iow... killing viable babies... ;)

I find it interesting that the Catholic Church does what they can get away with. They would never promote the same justice in North America because the bad press they would get. Why do Columbians who perform Abortions get excomunicated but not Americans?
Because of Church politics, the Catholic Church in the USA is pretty progressive for them. the fundies in the Catholic church's hold on the US catholics is a bit tenuous, some fear of losing all control I would think.

Thats one extreme.. and then there is the fear of the other exteme .. the prospect of a bunch of Souless wonders ... i.e. permitting abortions to be used as a form of birth control and terminating 3rd trimester pregnancies ...iow... killing viable babies... ;)

you can avoid THAT without tossing our Roe....you cannot avoid MY scenario if you do

you can avoid THAT without tossing our Roe....you cannot avoid MY scenario if you do

this is the law of the land in South Dakota: no abortions, no exceptions.

That is the standard that the religious right will fight tooth and nail, to bring to every state in the union.

That was my point. Did you even read the portion of my post that you bolded? Geez.

I humbly apologize. I misread your post as saying you would not "condone" the abortion.

It said condemn, not condone. Sorry, my bad.

:thup: We're good...

No, the girls was in physical danger from this pregnancy and the progeny should have been aborted. If it progressed the likelihood would be that both lives would be lost and that would be unacceptable.

I agree with this also Klaatu. It is a fine line and I hate that it has come to situations like this. I have couseled with 2 women who had been raped and gotten pregnant. Both decided to have thier babies. One raised her daughter and the other gave her son up for adoption. But I'll be the first to admit that this isn't the best thing to do in all cases. Eleven years old.....that's extremely bad. Personally, since I view abortion as murder I would definitely say no to abortion, even in this case, but I don't think that view ought to be forced upon all people.

In a religin where absolutes reign supreem, Catholism, why is justice different in Columbia than Florida?

(1) I doubt; (2) non-commited.

Back