CNN Reports on Ron Paul Newsletters...

CanadianKid

Ron Paul newsletters from 1990s include rants against blacks, gays

Paul's campaign says the newsletters weren't written by him

One newsletter calls Martin Luther King Jr. a "pro-Communist philanderer"

Another says 1992 LA riots ended after blacks went to "pick up their welfare checks"

From Brian Todd

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A series of newsletters in the name of GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul contain several racist remarks -- including one that says order was restored to Los Angeles after the 1992 riots when blacks went "to pick up their welfare checks."

This is a copy of one of the "Ron Paul Political Report" newsletters, which has stirred controversy.

1 of 2 CNN recently obtained the newsletters -- written in the 1990s and one from the late 1980s -- after a report was published about their existence in the New Republic.

None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas.

Paul spokesman Jesse Benton told CNN the material was not written by Paul, and that he finds them "abhorrent." CNN asked the presidential contender for a direct response. He is to appear on CNN's "The Situation Room" Thursday afternoon around 5 p.m. ET.

"I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name," Paul said in a written statement.

That's not good enough, says one political veteran.

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"

Paul, who is not considered a front-runner, has become an Internet phenomenon in the current race, raising tens of millions of dollars from a devoted online base, many of them young people drawn to his libertarian straight talk.

The controversial newsletters include rants against the Israeli lobby, gays, AIDS victims and Martin Luther King Jr. -- described as a "pro-Communist philanderer." One newsletter, from June 1992, right after the LA riots, says "order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

Another says, "The criminals who terrorize our cities -- in riots and on every non-riot day -- are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are. As children, they are trained to hate whites, to believe that white oppression is responsible for all black ills, to 'fight the power,' to steal and loot as much money from the white enemy as possible."

In some excerpts, the reader may be led to believe the words are indeed from Paul, a resident of Lake Jackson, Texas. In the "Ron Paul Political Report" from October 1992, the writer describes carjacking as the "hip-hop thing to do among the urban youth who play unsuspecting whites like pianos."

The author then offers advice from others on how to avoid being carjacked, including "an ex-cop I know," and says, "I frankly don't know what to make of such advice, but even in my little town of Lake Jackson, Texas, I've urged everyone in my family to know how to use a gun in self defense. For the animals are coming."

Benton says Paul never wrote those words and is "saddened" somebody took advantage of him.

Matt Welch, the editor-in-chief of "Reason" magazine who shares some of Paul's beliefs on big government, says he has never heard the congressman make such comments.

"What I think some people are looking for him to do is to say, 'OK, who wrote that?' I mean, there's 20 years, give or take, worth of newsletters there," Welch said.

Benton maintains that the GOP presidential candidate doesn't know who wrote any of the newsletters. Asked if Paul would try to find out, his spokesman said, "No, what's the point? ... It's time to move on."

LMAO Watch Ron Paul's popularity go down the tubes to Fred Thompson Terroritory

CK

It's over for Ron Paul, IF Rockwell wrote those, Paul should say so otherwise they are both fucking over every idea they stood for. If Ron Paul doesn't know it's too bad that this ruinned a real opportunity to promote "libertarian" ideas.

I thought he handled the Situation Room interview pretty well. He's right that war and the drug war are too things doing the greatest harm to minorities.

As I pointed out in the other thread, if you look at the newsletters you can see Gary North all over them. The double dashes, the rhetoric and North is a kook.

Ron Paul really never had any chance. I think this will dry up his activists, which was his biggest asset. I think Rockwell might be damaged more than anyone. I hope that the legacy of Mises and Rothbard are not dragged down with him.

I hope that the legacy of Mises and Rothbard are not dragged down with him.

Me either, Paul just needs to admit/figure out who wrote these and expose them.

Luckily most people don't know Mises or Rothbard or understand the Austrian Buisness Cycle so I don't think they'll be damaged but who is out there that will support Austrian economics in the future? Paul had a chance to bring these things that losers like BAC and Watermark don't understand to the mainstream and made real positive economic changes.

Me either, Paul just needs to admit/figure out who wrote these and expose them.

Luckily most people don't know Mises or Rothbard or understand the Austrian Buisness Cycle so I don't think they'll be damaged but who is out there that will support Austrian economics in the future? Paul had a chance to bring these things that losers like BAC and Watermark don't understand to the mainstream and made real positive economic changes.

I don't really think he should expose them. I think that would be sorta sleazy. Like he said, he is responsible for it. I do think they should step forward. I really don't know what in can help though, as only internet political geeks are going to hear about it. Maybe, if it had been done years ago.

Back