Congratulations Superfreak!

You know what would settle this once and for all? You should both head-butt a car, and whoever can move it the furthest will be the manliest.

I would argue based on who he roots for it is quite evident that Superfreak has already head-butted a car and is suffering the consequences.

As an aside, nice Avatar Darla. Freaking Hippie!

:)

I wonder how many who spread the narrative that hippies smelled and didn’t wash, were actually around back then, to smell them?
Myself, I couldn’t say.

I wonder how many who spread the narrative that hippies smelled and didn’t wash, were actually around back then, to smell them?
Myself, I couldn’t say.
Mostly it comes from books written by hippies waxing all rhapsodic about weeks in a bus with no shower.

Oh really. I must have missed those books. I wonder if it’s because they were hidden in your ass until just now?
Don't think so. Many a book was written about driving around the nation on a bus. One of them by a Newsie who went around with the dude who opened up many minds with the LSD thang...

Amazon.com: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test: Tom Wolfe: Books

Crap, I have to return that book and get my Heinlien book back from a friend.

Anyway here are some links to a couple:

Amazon.com: Memoirs of an Ex-Hippie: Seven Years in the Counterculture: Robert A. Roskind: Books

Amazon.com: On the Road (Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century): Jack Kerouac: Books

Well, you get the picture.

The "on the road" types of stories, again, waxing rhapsodic about the times with no showers, the good sex, etc.

Don't think so. Many a book was written about driving around the nation on a bus. One of them by a Newsie who went around with the dude who opened up many minds with the LSD thang...

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Kool...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214239725&sr=1-2

Crap, I have to return that book and get my Heinlien book back from a friend.

Anyway here are some links to a couple:

http://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Ex-Hi...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214238827&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Penguin-Great-Books-Century/dp/0140283293/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Well, you get the picture.

The "on the road" types of stories, again, waxing rhapsodic about the times with no showers, the good sex, etc.

Really, waxing rhapsodic about no showers? How the hell would your links prove that was in any of these books? I’m not reading the books, so I guess I will have to take your word for this.

Really, waxing rhapsodic about no showers? How the hell would your links prove that was in any of these books? I’m not reading the books, so I guess I will have to take your word for this.
They were waxing rhapsodic about the being on the bus, the shower thing was simply part of it.

Originally Posted by Socrtease

Pchouli oil smells horrid. Combine it with unwashed hippy and wet dredlocks and you get a frangrance that would put maggots off a shit wagon.

Sounds like some dudes have been watching too many movies! I seriously doubt you squares have ever even known many hippies. Honestly, Daddy-O, have you guys ever even been to a Dead concert? I thought not!

Yeah, there were some dirty hippies in the 60s. Some hippies might conform to the patchouli stereotypes. That's the exception, as propagated in movies and on the Rush Limbaugh show.

My hippie girlfriends were exceedingly hygienic and health concious. I like hippie women. They rock. I never smelled any B.O. at a dead show. I'll totally wager there's more B.O. at a NASCAR gathering, or in an NFL football crowd than at a Dead show. I used to go to Whole Earth festival in Davis every year. My girlfriend, I and this other dude sold tie dyes there. And I never got a whiff of body odor. Although, admittedly, the marijuana smoke may cover up some unpleasant odors. ;).

Sounds like some dudes have been watching too many movies! I seriously doubt you squares have ever even known many hippies. Honestly, Daddy-O, have you guys ever even been to a Dead concert?

Yes, I have.

I thought not!
That is because you and yours make many assumptions.

Yeah, there were some dirty hippies in the 60s.

Yeah, I know. I described some.

Some hippies might conform to the patchouli stereotypes. That's the exception, as propagated in movies and on the Rush Limbaugh show.

Inanity. Most of them didn't have ptchouli oil to put on.

My hippie girlfriends were exceedingly hygienic and health concious. I like hippie women. They rock. I never smelled any B.O. at a dead show. I'll totally wager there's more B.O. at a NASCAR gathering, or in an NFL football crowd than at a Dead show. I used to go to Whole Earth festival in Davis every year. My girlfriend, I and this other dude sold tie dyes there. And I never got a whiff of body odor. Although, admittedly, the marijuana smoke may cover up some unpleasant odors. ;).

Yeah, there were the preppies of the hippies too. I usually don't smell anything on the ranchers that I meet. That doesn't mean that the description of some of them smelling like animals is not accurate, especially if they just got off work, much like my example of hippies on a long road trip with no shower on the bus...

I don't know about you, but I'm reasonably sure that Tom Wolfe, who actually spent time with the "merry pranksters", and described the preppy hippies, and the uber-clean ones along with the group that he was with.... ,who were more of the ptchouli oil smelling group that just got off a painted school bus with no air conditioning..., was actually accurately reporting on his experience.

Back