Cops caught on dash cam planting Meth

Only when they are caught which isn't often enough.
This is absolutely right. And when a cop knows about another cops wrong doing he or she won't turn them in because they will be shunned. Crossing the thin blue line can make minutes seem like hours when waiting for back up and everyone you work with knows you turned in a dirty cop. Why to you think IA is so despised in a PD?

This is absolutely right. And when a cop knows about another cops wrong doing he or she won't turn them in because they will be shunned. Crossing the thin blue line can make minutes seem like hours when waiting for back up and everyone you work with knows you turned in a dirty cop. Why to you think IA is so despised in a PD?

From the little I know about police culture in the US that's right - the bit about not getting backup. I must say I find it fascinating and weird at the same time. I can say I've never heard of this happening in my jurisdiction, well, at least in my experience.

I really see the difference in police cultures when I read (in a forum or on an email discussion list) about "professional courtesy" - for the uninitiated that means cops letting off other cops for traffic matters. The mental gymnastics that go on to justify letting a cop off a serious traffic matter - eg dui - is remarkable. I once pointed out it was corrupt and was excoriated.

Unfortunately I also manage to bring calumny down on the head of my country and its police when I explain that a cop here can't expect "professional courtesy". I swear, sometimes I think I've damaged our tourist industry with the number of cops from the US who then swear they'll never visit Australia :D

I think a lot of bad cops will be caught in the action, now with cameras and video cams in phones.

Not a very smart cop to begin with, if he forgot about the dash cam!

I think a lot of bad cops will be caught in the action, now with cameras and video cams in phones.

Not a very smart cop to begin with, if he forgot about the dash cam!

I hope they don't ALL start behaving themselves, it'll really kill YouTube* :D

*I know it won't, that's just a bit of hyperbole for effect ;)

I hope they don't ALL start behaving themselves, it'll really kill YouTube* :D

*I know it won't, that's just a bit of hyperbole for effect ;)

Oh, dear, you have a point, don't worry, they won't. Cop corruption has a long history!

Oh, dear, you have a point, don't worry, they won't. Cop corruption has a long history!

It does indeed. As does corruption itself. At the moment in my country in the state of New South Wales there's a massive corruption case going on that involves local politicians, land developers and minor bureaucrats, it's got a totally sleazy theme to it to - there's a developer banging a bureaucrat sheila who's also banging another couple of developers and money is being handed out left, right and centre. The state government has had a couple of its ministers pulled in and it looks like it's got a way to go yet. And guess what? Not a cop in sight. Sometimes I think when it comes to REAL corruption we can learn much from others.

Back