dano what say you about CT and gay marriage?

Interesting how a single judge waited until the week before an election to inflict his edict on that State.

Last edited:
umm southern man, it was debated and won on a 4-3 measure... read up....

dano for you come on be happy for once.....

Now that's pretty funny, the guy who wishes death on others trys to call someone else a bigot.

I wish death upon you for being an asshole.

I don't hate you because of something you have no control over. My reason is perfectly rational.

I used to be in the "government should have no role in marriage" camp for a while, but it doesn't really make much sense. That's never going to happen and it's not very practical to get government out of marriage when marriage is one of the biggest social constructs there is. It seems very funny that as soon as gays want to get married conservatives have come up with this idea to "keep government out of marriage" . . why is it that they never really had this belief before?\

It's just an unnecessary roadblock and trying to lobby to get the government out of marriage is just one giant distraction. In an ideal world, I would like government out of most things. But we have a lot of other areas that we should have government out of, and we should be a little more selective in picking our battles. This probably isn't one of them.

I used to be in the "government should have no role in marriage" camp for a while, but it doesn't really make much sense. That's never going to happen and it's not very practical to get government out of marriage when marriage is one of the biggest social constructs there is. It seems very funny that as soon as gays want to get married conservatives have come up with this idea to "keep government out of marriage" . . why is it that they never really had this belief before?\

It's just an unnecessary roadblock and trying to lobby to get the government out of marriage is just one giant distraction. In an ideal world, I would like government out of most things. But we have a lot of other areas that we should have government out of, and should we be a little more selective in picking our battles. This probably isn't one of them.

Seriously... civil marriage isn't a religious ceremony. No reason to spend a lot of money just to get "marriage" out of the title.

You guys should stop people from taking your guns, first of all.

Getting government out of marriage would be the preferred option, but if not, then I definitely support extending full marriage privileges to any consenting adult(s).

Really? I've just seen Libertarians express this and not too many Conservatives. I can only speak for myself but back in the 90's when I changed to thinking immigration was more of a good thing than bad I let go of any reason to have government involved in marriage.

The concept of the marriage license only came into effect in America after the Civil war (intending to use the state to prevent intermarriage between races).
The role of government in marriage has never been for any positive reason and if people knew the history they would likely be more in favor of abolishing it and returning to no government role in marriage.

It's just an unnecessary roadblock and trying to lobby to get the government out of marriage is just one giant distraction. In an ideal world, I would like government out of most things. But we have a lot of other areas that we should have government out of, and we should be a little more selective in picking our battles. This probably isn't one of them.
Probably true but I'm not battling, just expressing my view on it. I'm under no illusions that it's not something that realistically at the moment has popular support to be undone.

here is an interesting thing to consider. Wife's a nurse who works with a lesbian couple who have been together for over 15years as domestic partners. The hospital has a rule that you cannot work in same department as your spouse. Well they are not spouses so they work together same shift.

here is an interesting thing to consider. Wife's a nurse who works with a lesbian couple who have been together for over 15years as domestic partners. The hospital has a rule that you cannot work in same department as your spouse. Well they are not spouses so they work together same shift.
That's it! As a married man I demand equal rights!!

That's it! As a married man I demand equal rights!!

Ok, no problem. You can work the same shift as your spouse.

But if your spouse cannot make her own medical decisions, you don't get to do so for her.

If your wife adopts a child, and then dies, you lose the child.

If your wife dies without a will, the state gets her stuff, not you.

When you file taxes you will both have to file single, and pay the higher tax rate.

You may not be allowed to be on your wife's medical insurance or her on yours.

If either of you is drawing social security, the spouse will not get survivor's benefits.

If your wife or you get sick or die, no bereavement leave or sick leave for your spouse.

I think you are a veteran, if I am not mistaken. But your wife won't get any benefits from that.

If one of you dies, the survivor will have no legal say in burial or cremation or where it will happen.

And if your spouse is in the hospital and only next-of-kin are allowed to visit, you don't get to go in.

Welcome to equality.

Ok, no problem. You can work the same shift as your spouse.

But if your spouse cannot make her own medical decisions, you don't get to do so for her.

If your wife adopts a child, and then dies, you lose the child.

If your wife dies without a will, the state gets her stuff, not you.

When you file taxes you will both have to file single, and pay the higher tax rate.

You may not be allowed to be on your wife's medical insurance or her on yours.

If either of you is drawing social security, the spouse will not get survivor's benefits.

If your wife or you get sick or die, no bereavement leave or sick leave for your spouse.

I think you are a veteran, if I am not mistaken. But your wife won't get any benefits from that.

If one of you dies, the survivor will have no legal say in burial or cremation or where it will happen.

And if your spouse is in the hospital and only next-of-kin are allowed to visit, you don't get to go in.

Welcome to equality.

Power-of-attorney and proper estate planning will alleviate most of these issues without offending a large majority of Americans.

Power-of-attorney and proper estate planning will alleviate most of these issues without offending a large majority of Americans.

It won't help if she adopts a child and dies.

You will still have to file taxes as single and pay the higher rate.

You still may not be allowed on her medical insurance or her on yours.

Neither of you will be able to draw SSI survivor's benefits, regardless of estate planning or power of attorney.

Your veteran's benefits still don't extend to your wife.

If your wife or you get sick or die, still no bereavement leave or sick leave for the survivor or to care for your sick spouse.

And if your spouse is in the hospital and only next-of-kin are allowed to visit, you still don't get to go in.

So proper estate planning and power of attorney won't help with 7 out of the 10 issues I stated.

So much for alleviating MOST of the issues.

Ain't equality great?

Back