Democrat Congresswoman Defaults On Home

RockX

Banned
Rep. Laura Richardson lost her Sacramento home in a foreclosure auction two weeks ago and left behind nearly $9,000 in unpaid property taxes.

Richardson, D-Long Beach, appears to have made only a few payments on the house, which she bought in January 2007 for $535,000.

After buying the home, Richardson hardly had time to live in it. Three months later, Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald died and Richardson - then a freshman member of the state Assembly - launched a campaign to replace her in Congress.

Richardson won the election, pouring in $77,500 in personal loans to her own campaign. Around the same time, she stopped making payments on the Sacramento house. The bank issued a default notice in December, and the home was sold at a public auction on May 7 for $388,000.

Richardson declined to be interviewed Wednesday about the foreclosure, which was first revealed in Capitol Weekly, a Sacramento-based publication. But in a statement, Richardson denied that the home was in foreclosure and said it had not been seized by the bank.

"I have worked with my lender to complete a loan modification and have renegotiated the terms of the agreement - with no special provisions," Richardson said in the statement. "I fully intend to fulfill all financial obligations on the property."

That would come as a surprise to James York, the Sacramento real estate broker who bought Richardson's house at auction. York specializes in buying and selling foreclosed homes, and said he eventually intends to resell Richardson's home, which overlooks a park in an upscale neighborhood.

York produced a trustee's deed confirming that his company, Red Rock Mortgage Inc., owns the house.

York said the house was relatively clean when he found it, at least compared to other foreclosed homes, though the garage was "full of trash to the ceiling." Workers have been cleaning it out and tending to the yard, which had been left unmowed for months.

One of Richardson's first votes upon arriving in Congress last fall was on the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007. The bill helped homeowners by preventing the federal government from charging income tax on debt forgiven in a foreclosure, such as the $200,000 forgiven in Richardson's foreclosure.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_9341561

LOL..

What a loser deadbeat.

Yep the economy is so good those in congress are losing their homes ?
At least she did not pull a shady trick and use influence to prevent the foreclosure.

535,000 is not going to be an upscale house in long beach. I think someone is twisting the story.

Yep the economy is so good those in congress are losing their homes ?
At least she did not pull a shady trick and use influence to prevent the foreclosure.

No she just made sure she would not have to pay taxes on it.

One of Richardson's first votes upon arriving in Congress last fall was on the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007. The bill helped homeowners by preventing the federal government from charging income tax on debt forgiven in a foreclosure, such as the $200,000 forgiven in Richardson's foreclosure.

535,000 is not going to be an upscale house in long beach. I think someone is twisting the story.

LOL

Try reading more slowly...

Rep. Laura Richardson lost her Sacramento home in a foreclosure auction two weeks ago and left behind nearly $9,000 in unpaid property taxes.

She is from Long Beach.

Good work. This may put the House back in play for the Repubs come November.

See if you can dig up something on a Democratic Senator, maybe having a car repossesed, being late on his Amex bill? Could change the outcome of the whole ball of wax.

Keep up the good work.

Good work. This may put the House back in play for the Repubs come November.

See if you can dig up something on a Democratic Senator, maybe having a car repossesed, being late on his Amex bill? Could change the outcome of the whole ball of wax.

Keep up the good work.
Definitely. Like bouncing some checks supposedly did them in back in 94...

Just looked into her a little and she has a small business of custom clothing. I wonder if she did not destroy herself financially in running for office.

That she wouldn't pay her bills. I just find that sad. Get an agent, sell the house, pay the mortgage until then.

It's not like I care that she's a Congresswoman. I just find this type of thing sad.

I don't find it to be sad at all. It looks like she made a perfectly rational financial decision. What seems to be the problem? As a purely financial transaction without casting aspersions about this being "sad" and her being a "deadbeat" it looks like she made a rational decision to stop paying on the mortgage and let the bank elect to foreclose.

She owed more money on the house than it was worth, the bank let her take out a mortgage with zero down and they got hammered. Nothing sad about it at all. The bank took a risk and it didn't pan out. Too bad for them.

I don't find it to be sad at all. It looks like she made a perfectly rational financial decision. What seems to be the problem? As a purely financial transaction without casting aspersions about this being "sad" and her being a "deadbeat" it looks like she made a rational decision to stop paying on the mortgage and let the bank elect to foreclose.

She owed more money on the house than it was worth, the bank let her take out a mortgage with zero down and they got hammered. Nothing sad about it at all. The bank took a risk and it didn't pan out. Too bad for them.
I didn't say she was a "deadbeat", that is your words. I said that I find people who agree to pay for something then don't sad.

If you want to make it more negative and build a strawman to attack, by all means do so. It won't hurt me at all. I think she chose not to pay for something that she first agreed to pay for, I find that sad.

I didn't say she was a "deadbeat", that is your words. I said that I find people who agree to pay for something then don't sad.

If you want to make it more negative and build a strawman to attack, by all means do so. It won't hurt me at all. I think she chose not to pay for something that she first agreed to pay for, I find that sad.

In fact it’s smart, and there isn’t a successful business or business person who hasn’t made that same decision at least once. Most large corporations make it over and over again.

I wasn't quoting you. I know when you run a message board you think everything is about you, but it isn't[/Perino]. I was quoting "webbway." I was quoting you on the sad portion.

And really, why is it a problem for her to choose not to continue to make payments on a house that isn't worth the money she has to pay. The bank has a remedy for this situation, foreclosure.

Sadness, fairness and any other sentimental notion you want to attach to it is hooey. As a purely financial matter she acted rationally.

It’s called Capitalism and those who play it to win it, play it this way.
There are far “sadder” stories out there. Try looking into some of the real losers at the game.
Not really. There was a time that people's word meant something. Even without the contract that they sign. Then not paying the taxes? Did she never use any of the local services those taxes pay for?

Yes, many do this. It is still sad.

I wasn't quoting you. I know when you run a message board you think everything is about you, but it isn't[/Perino]. I was quoting "webbway." I was quoting you on the sad portion.

And really, why is it a problem for her to choose not to continue to make payments on a house that isn't worth the money she has to pay. The bank has a remedy for this situation, foreclosure.

Sadness, fairness and any other sentimental notion you want to attach to it is hooey. As a purely financial matter she acted rationally.
True. Which, again, doesn't change my opinion. It isn't like she couldn't afford to pay what she agreed to pay on a Congressional salary. And if the house wasn't worth that much she shouldn't have agreed to pay that much.

It is true that she may have bankrupted herself while running for congress. I could see that. There might be a reason for it other than what we are surmising here.

Back