Dems to Bail Out Buggy Whip Makers

They should bail out the music business too. Save Virgin and the other record stores and Lars Ulrich needs his solid gold swimming pool.

The economy is definitely no help but both industries face huge problems beyond the economy and there is no way in hell these dinosaurs should be supported by the masses. We have enough welfare whores, what with the banks and wall street, dragging us down.

They should bail out the music business too. Save Virgin and the other record stores and Lars Ulrich needs his solid gold swimming pool.

The economy is definitely no help but both industries face huge problems beyond the economy and there is no way in hell these dinosaurs should be supported by the masses. We have enough welfare whores, what with the banks and wall street, dragging us down.

they are trying by banning music downloads unless a royalty is paid to the "artist".

Newspapers aren't going to be bailed out. I'm a total believer that newspapers should die a painful death. I've dealt with so much of the management's stupidity in my time to make me want to hurt people. Newspapers are run by men stuck in the 70s who are old and grey and don't understand the internets and they refuse to listen to the young punks who have a good grasp of new media and know how to utilize it. So they're dying, and they deserve to.

Newspapers aren't going to be bailed out. I'm a total believer that newspapers should die a painful death. I've dealt with so much of the management's stupidity in my time to make me want to hurt people. Newspapers are run by men stuck in the 70s who are old and grey and don't understand the internets and they refuse to listen to the young punks who have a good grasp of new media and know how to utilize it. So they're dying, and they deserve to.

wow, ib1 actually made a legitimate and excellent point. Who knew?

I know the NY Times a few years ago tried to charge for their premium online content and that didn't go as hoped so it went back to being free. What can papers do to embrace the new media and still be a continuing entity?

Sell ads on their site. It's hardly rocket science. If that won't pay for maintaining the site then they have a fundamentally flawed business model.

wow, ib1 actually made a legitimate and excellent point. Who knew?

I know the NY Times a few years ago tried to charge for their premium online content and that didn't go as hoped so it went back to being free. What can papers do to embrace the new media and still be a continuing entity?

The biggest problem isn't charging for content as much as it is delivering content that people are willing to pay for. Time had a great article on charging for online content a few weeks back. I'm not sure it's viable in this market, but I know that you can deliver rich content that they aren't delivering or delivering well and charge more for ads based on viewership.

Sell ads on their site. It's hardly rocket science. If that won't pay for maintaining the site then they have a fundamentally flawed business model.

I guess I was coming from the perspective that the business model is flawed because advertising on their sites is obviously not covering the bills. Will home delivery of a newspaper soon be a thing of the past?

Advertising on web sites sells for significantly less than ads in print. Good journalism is expensive. Trying to fund good journalism with only online ad sells is a non-starter, and right now print isn't selling either. The industry is doomed.

In 20 years, TV news will be dead as well.

I'm not sure where the original reporting is going to come from. Bloggers just repeat what real journalists are paid to uncover - but who's going to do it when the journalists are out of work?

I'm still curious as to this apparent distinction between the work of bloggers and the work of "real journalists".

Many scandals and stories in the last few years have been uncovered by bloggers and missed completely by the mainstream media until they were broken.

I'm still curious as to this apparent distinction between the work of bloggers and the work of "real journalists".

Many scandals and stories in the last few years have been uncovered by bloggers and missed completely by the mainstream media until they were broken.

Not all bloggers are crap.

Mostly, the distinction that I see is original reporting. Most bloggers I know of put their "scoops" together by analyzing previously written reports from typically legitimate sources and seeing some sort of pattern. I'm not personally aware of any bloggers of any note that actually call sources, visit locations, talk to real people, and get to the bottom of whatever. I don't know of bloggers who go to city council meetings, take copious notes, ask hard questions, and press for answers.

I'm not aware of bloggers who make an effort to look at the different sides of different issues and call sources on both sides. Many bloggers started their blogs to combat the perceived bias in the media and they wind up being infinitely more biased than what they were originally complaining about.

Anyway, I don't read blogs so maybe there are decent bloggers out there. I know some exjournalists who have blogs, and that's a little different.

I'm not a real big fan of my local paper the San Francisco Chronicle but I read it because I want to read about local sports and it does a decent job of covering the local going ons at City Hall and other S.F. issues. What will happen if the paper goes under as has been discussed?

I think S.F. Examiner still exists but believe it is online only now, no more delivery. Will bloggers or others step in to cover all the daily crap happening at City Hall? I think most would agree someone needs to be covering the local politicians. Is there money to be made doing that or is it some labor of love for a few people?

You know what I"m getting a kick out of. Guess what business line has been growing and earning profits during this economic downturn? The Environmental Business? Aint that a hoot! :)

You know what I"m getting a kick out of. Guess what business line has been growing and earning profits during this economic downturn? The Environmental Business? Aint that a hoot! :)

Really? I've read hybrid sales are down more than regular car sales and I would think in harder times more people would not put money into green products as they tend to cost more, often much more.
I'd be interested in seeing where you got this from.

Really? I've read hybrid sales are down more than regular car sales and I would think in harder times more people would not put money into green products as they tend to cost more, often much more.
I'd be interested in seeing where you got this from.

From the environmental companies I work for and with. Business has been good. Many of the main players are seeing growth of 3 to 5%. Not bad in this economy. Clean Harbors, Waste Mgt, Veolia, Pollution Control Ind, etc, are all doing well. Consulting companies on remediation and site assesments are doing well. Service companies on pollution controls systems, water and air, are doing well, Environmental service companies that provide transportation, industrial services, cleaning services, brokerages, again are not only doing well but seeing significant growth. Green products have seen the substantial market growth particularly since oil hit it's peak price about a year ago, and on and on. Even with gas prices dropping and the economic down turn people are convinced about the long term affectiveness of reducing pollution and carbon emmisions from a cost benefit stand point, the savings are there from a long term view point not to mention the initiative for energy independence from foreign oil has gained strong political support.

Yes indeed, the environmental business is moving forward quite productively.

From the environmental companies I work for and with. Business has been good. Many of the main players are seeing growth of 3 to 5%. Not bad in this economy. Clean Harbors, Waste Mgt, Veolia, Pollution Control Ind, etc, are all doing well. Consulting companies on remediation and site assesments are doing well. Service companies on pollution controls systems, water and air, are doing well, Environmental service companies that provide transportation, industrial services, cleaning services, brokerages, again are not only doing well but seeing significant growth. Green products have seen the substantial market growth particularly since oil hit it's peak price about a year ago, and on and on. Even with gas prices dropping and the economic down turn people are convinced about the long term affectiveness of reducing pollution and carbon emmisions from a cost benefit stand point, the savings are there from a long term view point not to mention the initiative for energy independence from foreign oil has gained strong political support.

Yes indeed, the environmental business is moving forward quite productively.

Well only because you are not effected by the market collapse, the only thing that can increase or decrease your business is the amount of environmental regulation and we all know government does nothing but continually add more and more regulations, especially where the environment is concerned.

If people were really concerned more about the environment, hybrids sales should be doing better than regular cars, they are not concerned when they are given a free choice.

Back