Denmark

Oh, crap. I forgot another interesting little factoid. Which is perhaps relevant, and interesting to rightwing fans of foreign sex tourism (e.g., Rush Limbaugh, Neil Bush, Cawacko, et al.)

Prostitution in Denmark is technically legal. I guess. At least they look the other way when it's between competent and consenting adults. Although evidently, there are some safeguards against exploitative practices involving poor women and young girls.

Oh, crap. I forgot another interesting little factoid. Which is perhaps relevant, and interesting to rightwing fans of foreign sex tourism (e.g., Rush Limbaugh, Neil Bush, Cawacko, et al.)

Prostitution in Denmark is technically legal. I guess. At least they look the other way when it's between competent and consenting adults. Although evidently, there are some safeguards against exploitative practices involving poor women and young girls.

Funny guy... I go to get women on my own, not pay for them!

1) Their healthcare isn't free, they pay for it with higher taxes

2) Anyone notice the second paragraph's irony? Some get childcare for free, but the extremely poor get it "practically free"????? If anyone gets it free shouldn't the extremely poor be the ones to do so?

3) Attempting to compare Denmark, where the vast majority of its population is in urbanized city centers and the country is a whole is about the size of Maine, to the US is a bit of a stretch. Especially when you consider that their population is about what 6-7 million? and NOT growing much over the past few decades?

Have you ever heard of proportions? The population shouldn't be an issue. We have a bigger population and a proportionally bigger amount of resources to draw on. The SIZE is irrelevant.

I think it has more to do with...

1) the fact that it is a small country both geographically as well as demographically.

2) The population tends to be highly centralized in urban city centers

3) Their population is expected to DECLINE, not grow over the next 20 years.

4) Their population has only grown about 10% in the last 30 years... TOTAL

5) They do not have the illegal immigration problem we do

Denmark has some of the most draconian immigration laws in the EU.

Hasn't Denmark also had some problems with their muslim immigrant population? For some reason I thought I read something about it.

They have an imagined Muslim immigrant problem and with that the right-wing populist parties have jumped in and passed huge immigration restrictions.

I'm hesitant to trust anything wikipedia says because it is so full of falsehoods but if you believe it...

"Between 1970 and 1990 the level of taxation and regulation increased dramatically as Denmark adopted the Nordic model welfare state. After falling sharply behind in prosperity, unemployment and other indicators, Denmark took steps in economic liberalization in the 1980s and 1990s, including abolishing almost all job market regulation. Despite relatively high taxation, the economy is otherwise quite unregulated and Index of Economic Freedom ranks Denmark the world's 11th most economically free country (4th in Europe)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark

Denmark is a model of the "social market" theory of governance - a completely free market and a large welfare state to make sure people don't suffer.

Have you ever heard of proportions? The population shouldn't be an issue. We have a bigger population and a proportionally bigger amount of resources to draw on. The SIZE is irrelevant.

Population is certainly an issue Water, in the sense of how it is dispersed. 80-90% of their population lives in urban city centers. Their population is therefore much denser than ours. They also have a stagnant population whereas ours continues to grow. They also do not have the immigration (both legal and illegal) that the US sees. Their population has grown just under 10% in the last thirty years. In the same timeframe, ours has grown over 50%.

So to an extent you are correct, for our population that is concentrated in city centers, it should theoretically work.

Denmark has some of the most draconian immigration laws in the EU.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but the point is that regardless if we like their immigration policies or not.... they do not have an immigration problem. Which typically will put a strain on such a system.

They have very fierce bikers. Berserkers on two wheels.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3760/is_199704/ai_n8766726

It began in March, 1996, in Kastrup Airport near Copenhagen..On most days, Kastrup is a place of quiet bustle and well-ordered lines, cheerful family reunions and excited vacationers. Newly renovated and bright, the airport has none of the intimidating size of Heathrow or Frankfurt, none of the filth and crush of humanity of JFK. On most days, Kastrup is a friendly place. But not on March 10, the day chosen by the motorcycle gang Hell's Angels to target members of the rival gang Bandidos, as members of both crews were returning from gatherings in Helsinki.

More at the link.

They have Carlsberg. I quite like Carlsberg.

Back