Did John Kerry enlist in the navy to avoid ground combat?

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
Kerry enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve in February, 1966, and began active service that August as Ensign aboard the USS Gridley, a Guided Missile Frigate deployed in the Gulf of Tonkin. During his tour of duty, Kerry requested his second tour be in Vietnam, listing his preferred position as commanding a Fast Patrol Craft (PCF) or "Swift Boat." His request was granted, and on November 17, 1968 he reported to Cam Ranh Bay for a month of training.

The Swift Boats had been considered to be a safe place to be during the war, but during that time their role was changed to become more dangerous and combat oriented.

http://conservapedia.com/John_Kerry

Well, he certainly didn't let us forget that he served in the US Military during the '04 election... He probably did to avoid combat, my personal take.

Well, he certainly didn't let us forget that he served in the US Military during the '04 election... He probably did to avoid combat, my personal take.
yeah... Swift boat skippers with silver stars, bronze stars, and purple hearts obviously were trying like hell to avoid combat. Roflmfao

My signature has always been the Galbraith quote. Sorry.

That doesn't change your status as a redneck, white trash, gay moron, however.

the right sure hates war heros when they dont vote for their historically failed ideas.

fair weather troop supporters

Is that a necessary qualification here?
the point being, of course, that those cowards who were too frightened to serve in any capacity really don't have the standing to suggest that someone who actually served in harm's way was somehow less brave.

I enlisted in the Navy because I didn't want to be infantry... but the assumption that one is "safe" on a boat getting shot at rather than standing on ground is a poor assumption.

the point being, of course, that those cowards who were too frightened to serve in any capacity really don't have the standing to suggest that someone who actually served in harm's way was somehow less brave.

Actually, the point being that someone who touts himself as a fucking hero was too frightened to sign for a role where he might see combat.

Back